Movie: Pathfinder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by defstar, Apr 9, 2007.

1. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Opens this Friday 04-13-07...starring Karl Urban...has the typical one against hundreds "warrior" story...but the screen shots and trailer look pretty good...

Summary pulled from yahoo movies...

"A thousand years in the past, a young Norse boy is left behind after his clan shipwrecks on the Eastern shores. Despite his lineage, the boy is raised by the very Indians his kinsmen set out to destroy. Now, as the Vikings return to stage another barbaric raid on his village, the 25 year-old Norse warrior wages a personal war to stop the Vikings' trail of death and destruction. Forging his own path, his destiny is revealed and his identity re-claimed."

Anyone wanting to see this...?

2. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

This film was quite good for what it was; I went in with no idea what to expect or indeed any idea what the basic plot was, I just wanted to avoid sitting through Grindhouse with my parents. I feel I got the better movie out of the deal despite some grandiose gore and other things.

SPOILER SPACES

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    P
    A
    C
    E
    S

Well maybe not much of a spoiler, but this movie is indeed quite graphic; early on there's decapitation and various other forms of death, once the second group of Vikings arrives there's even more grotesque scenes of violence from one of the Vikings having his eye cut out and following up in a later scene with him having the socket sewn back up. And even a scene where one of the Native Americans is Drawn and Quartered; no visual for this, just spurting blood on the face of the main protagonist to illustrate the effect. Really if you're squemish about excessive blood and guts I'd say avoid this, but really conisdering it's a period piece the violence level is very understandable and I personally didn't find anything to complain about the film... Although some parts really made me want to turn away when it got full on violent mode.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found the show so-so even though some flim reviews gave it er, poor ratings...

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

A group of my friends went to see this and they walked out. We are all the comicbook geek type and they couldn't take it. The only reason I didn't go was because I already thought it looked like crap.

I also think this movie sat in the can for almost a year. That should be a red flag.

5. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I get what you mean...the potential was there but parts of the movie didn't "flow" and most of the fight scenes although graphic...the show looked "generic"...as one can't tell what period and era it was based on...for example, it could be a Conan or Krull-like movie.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

We're looking forward top this film as well. Of course we live like .75 miles from the Dark Horse Comics corporate offices.

7. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

What exactly do you mean? It said it was 600 years before Columbus discovered America right in the opening script, I'm no history buff, but I would think that's good enough of an explanation for when this took place Era wise.

I wouldn't let reviewers tell you what movie to see; I never have and never will, maybe I enjoyed the film so much because I had no ideas what to expect, as I said I just decided to go to it rather then waste time with Grindhouse. Was this based on a Comic Book? Sure didn't seem like it to me while watching it; didn't even notice anything like that, heck the credits even said it was based on another film called Pathfinder from someone who unfortunately I can't recall the name of.

Holy slag; it just hit me, wasn't that actor, Karl Urban was it? Isn't he the guy that played Cupid on Hercules The Legendary Journeys? I knew I recognized him from somewhere.

You said parts of the movie didn't flow; may I ask what you felt didn't "flow"? From my point of view everything seemed to flow quite nicely; I mean aside from the obvious and necessary jump cut at the beginning to 15 Years later. I can see where it might get a little confusing when the main protagonist, Ghost I believe was leading those Vikings all through those caves and stuff.
    But then again maybe I just didn't catch anything because I wasn't being critical or I should say looking for flaws, as I said twice now I had no pre-concieved notions about this film whatsoever.

8. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Glad to see some of you peeps got to see it...I could not...had to work all weekend...

Hopefully I'll get a chance this coming weekend...

According to Yahoo it opened number six and received a "d" from critics and a "c" from users...

Hmm...must still be better than a chick flick...

9. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to see this soley based on the fact that the trailer says: "Rated R for Strong brutal violence throughout" or something or other.

KICKASS!!!

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Dude, first off I would like to clarify that I did not let have negative pre-notions of the movie despite friends hinting to me that the movie wasn't well received by most movie critics. In fact, I only check the reviews after watching the movie. Heck, I went with the sole attention to have a totally good time...I was expecting a kick ass time...Vikings vs Native American Indians...how kick ass is that? ;) 

Instead I my expectations were a little bit dampen by the following:

i) poor editing/story doesn't flow. I don't know if i used the correct term when I said the movie doesn't flow but some of the scenes didn't have the required impact, resulting in a "poor flow". A good example, was when some of Ghost's traps "back-fired". Another example was the death of the mute character.

ii) Another area that I'm critical about was that the Ghost character could have wore more distinguished Native American attire during his fight with the Vikings. For example, a more Native American hair-cut or war paint etc.

If one walked into the movie half-way or even 1/4, one would be wondering why a "white man" was fighting against his kind.

iii) Predictable. Some of the scenes were so painfully predictable...like how Ghost was planning to get rid of most of the Vikings during the mountain climb.

Did I enjoy the movie? Yeah to a certain extent I did but it could have been so much better.