Movie or Animated Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SilverDragon, Apr 15, 2008.

1. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    So I have money. Today I spotted a movie Voyager Starscream. I was interested in buying it until I saw the $46 pricetag (which is usual Voyager-price here). On the way home, I decided to think about whether I should buy it or wait until June for Animated SS to come out. Considering the price, I had to be careful.

So here's what I'm asking: is movie SS a really good figure to buy? Or, for those who have managed to get their hands on a pre-release Animated SS, should I wait for Animated?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm a seeker nut. I have most of them. The movie seekers suck. The alt mode is only worth looking at from directly above the toy.

3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

^^^What he said. However, the Movie Starscream mold has one hell of a great Gerwalk mode. Even better than most Macross toys. The reason is that the arms and legs are not integral parts of the jet. You could take a saw, remove the head, arms, and legs, and still have a whole F-22.

Therefore, the Gerwalk mode is essentially a whole F-22 with arms and legs. And that makes for an awesome Gerwalk mode.

4. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

Animated. Hands down, you can get one cheaper off eBay probably too than you'd have to pay there.

5. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Animated for sure. Moviescream is like nothing but a chicken -_-

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are plenty of people who love both of those toys. I can't say I'm a huge fan of either. SS is one of my least-favorite Animated toys. Given only two options though, I'd pick Animated over Movie-scream, because I have far less love for that mold.

7. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd go with Animated out of the two. He just OOZES personality (which is quite the vibe we're getting from this line) and looks good on display.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i have both versions.

movie voyager SS is not the best in his class.

animated voyager SS is in contention.

advantage: animated.

9. Jaekwong

Jaekwong Well-Known Member

animatedddd .. this guy has wayy too much personality. even in his looks...

tho mind you... the movie has that rawness im ugly duckling butr im still SS

10. permie

permie Well-Known Member

As much as I hate the Movie Starscream, I can't say I prefer the animated version over it. The entire animated look is just awful. Looks like a dog chew toy. At least the movie screamer looked fearsome and menacing taking out those raptors and destroying the city. The animated starscream looks like he's going to tell you a joke, and then read you a story.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

The animated toys look terrible but movie Starscream isn't that great either. At least it looks like a robot though so I would go with Movie. However you could get an MP or Classics Starscream which both look a lot cooler in my opinion.

12. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    ^Yeah, I could, but I'm not the kind of person to buy toys online.

After thinking, I've come to the decision that movie Starscream is an ugly triangle chicken of doom (nice missile-firing gimmick, though) and that I'd be better off waiting for The Chin.

13. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Well, even if you took a decision, I would like to give my 2 cents on this matter.

I am a great fan of movie molds, but Screamre is the last one I am going to get. I think he looks cool in the movie, but the toy is too simple and the fact that they didn't made hands for him is the worst con of this toy. Poseability is limited too. But he has a cool alt mode and he's great on display next to Megatron.

On the other hand, I simply hate all animated toys. They are very poseable and fun to play, I have to admit it, but the faces and bodies look like superdeformers or something else. I would prefer to buy a Red Chin Toy form the Odd Fairy Parents instead of the Animated Screamer.

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

We haven't gotten a solid Starscream since G1.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'd go for Ani. I haven't touched the movie mould, I think it looks awful, but I do plan on picking up the Animated one, even though I don't want many of the line. Admittedly I plan to make him a bit more mainstream with a headswap and possibly new hands.

16. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Animated, got to be. Animated SS is a pimp, with the CHIN.
    Movie SS is not a pimp, note the lack of CHIN.

As you can see, there is a distinct corelation between CHIN and awesomeness.
    Do as the TransFans say,
    Animated all the way!
    (Did I just pull a Wheelie?)

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    for me they are both awesome toys.movie screamer is great for repainting and kitbashing.

animated has a g1 quality to him that i love

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Funny, because he looks nothing like a chicken and that is just ignorance.

The movie Starscream toy is nothing special regardless. It is no contest and I'm surprised you even needed to ask.

Animated all the way.

:lol  If you mean soid like a brick that falls apart then yeah, nothin' like good-ol solid G1 Starscream.:lolol 

(Disclaimer: I like G1 Starscream's toy and all variations of the mould, however I think we can all agree it is anything but solid)

Animated is the best Starscream yet. He looks great, stays together and is all around perfection.

19. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

I own both…

Movie toys are just garbage compared to most TF toy lines.

I replaced my classics and masterpiece screamer (on display) with animated Starscream.

I’d just wait personally.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    While the majority of the movie line is crap and repaints of crap, it gave us some really decent moulds like Ratchet, Bonecrusher, 08 Bumblebee, Ironhide and Leader Megatron and Prime, etc... It also gave us some stellar moulds like 70's BB, Leader Brawl, Dropkick etc..

The movie line is home to some of the best TF moulds in history that surpass anything Armada or most of Energon.