Minor/Repaint: Movie Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sabrina_Ng, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Ok. Here it is. Don't mind some of the pictures. I dropped my camera from my work table today and I think the processor is having some problems. My images are somewhat overexposed no matter the conditions. There are a lot of lines and weird artefacts on half of the pictures that I've taken. Haiz.

Also, I was very confused when taking the pictures as there were a ton of poses! I hope i didn't miss any out.

[ATT] 19727 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19728 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19729 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19732 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19730 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19731 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19733 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19736 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19735 [/Att]
    [ATT] 19734 [/Att]

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Nice work Sabrina!

3. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Nice work? Hheehe. Didn't know factory paint is that nice. Heheheh! :p 

4. bongzoe

bongzoe Banned

i agree to frenzy_rumble.

5. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Hur? Erm..Am I missing something here??? *falls off chair* :rolleyes: 

6. bongzoe

bongzoe Banned

i meant i agree with Frenzy_Rumble

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I meant the trailer lol.

8. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Ooouuhh...heh. Yeah.. But it's a pain not knowing what colour to paint it. Still deciding if I should follow a colour of orange to red to blue. Or not.

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

well there are many ways you could continue the flow of the truck. one would be to erase whats there by gluing a sheet of styrene over it. that way you have a blank canvas so to say. then start by base coating it in the dark blue. personally i would mod the back wheels to match better but whatever you do will look great

10. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Oh yeah. I kinda like the idea of using styrene to cover part of the trailer. I've not used styrene before but this seems like a good opportunity to start. Thanks! Will try it 1st to see if I like the overall look. How about flames? I was thinking on putting it on the top of the trailer. Some on the sides. But mainly at the top of the trailer.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I actually think you should use a different trailer, like one from a model kit. I've got a Testors tanker trailer that I think works perfectly with this movie Prime. I think you should check that kit out :) 

As for the color scheme, I think you'd be surprised what may end up working for ya. One thing to keep in mind is that a trailer need not match the cab in any way (other than just not clashing in color scheme). I think a trailer with a LOT of chrome with just a bit of trimming of the same colors used in Prime would work really well.

I hope that's of some help; keep us posted :) 

12. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    :banghead:  I've got 2 of these trailers at the moment :( 
    Guess I've got no choice. Erm..impulse shopping decision? Heheh. But hey, thanks!! I think that's the first opinion that has actually challenged my initial perception of how I wanna do the trailer up. And I think that you may be right. I can't imagine a trailer looking overly flashy right?

Ok ok. Here's my 2 options. (Anyone wanna add a third or fourth?)

1st is my initial idea.
    I wanna explore the idea of using styrene (as suggested by anovasinn) to cover the lines along the trailer. Either that or use some tamiya putty to fill the gaps and then give it a metallic shade of orange to red to blue. Maybe add some flames where appropriate.

Thing is, will using Tamiya putty be able to fill the lines and give it a smooth surface????

2nd idea
    Use a chromy shade for the trailer (superquad7's suggestion) and add some flames. Shan't fill up the gaps in the sides of the trailer.

What do you guys think? Can't seem to make up my mind. Flashy trailer? Or chromy trailer? Or others???

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Here is the trailer I have that I was suggesting.

I've never seen one more than $20. I actually bought mine on clearance at Wal*mart many moons ago.

14. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    chrome trailer and don't use putty unless you are very good at it. it's not that hard to work with, but it's not that easy either, given the standard you desire in the end product.

15. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    oh yeah, buy alclad chrome in bulk!

16. Blunticus

Blunticus Combiner

As I read your post initially, what came to mind was almost exactly what SQ described. I would totally go for a chrome tanker since Movie Prime's so flashy already.
    HOWEVER, since you do already have those trailers, and want to use one of those instead, I would go the styrene panelling route. It will make it look more like an actual tractor trailer without those grooves and lines. As for the paint, I would be torn my self. Since OP is so flashy, Maybe a plain white, or plain red with flames only on the first quarter of the trailer fanning out more as it gets higher on the side of the trailer, then I'd put the autobot symbol in the top corner kind of in the flames.
    Hope this helps S.

17. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

now thats is wicked !!! cool trailer !!!

18. jicco

jicco TF Customizer

Ebay:
    good luck :) 

I myself toying with the idea of making a nemesis prime with trailer for weapons storage

19. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I'd spray over just the original blue stripe on the trailer using the matching flame patern. You could also silouette an Autobot logo within the fire and a phrase like, " Stoned or drunk, we'll deliver your junk".

I figure it'd be a nice blending of old and new.

20. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Hey jicco. Thanks. Yeah. I did have a somewhat similar idea :) 

Hahahahahaha!!! Wikkid!!! That quote's really really cute. :lolol 

But I think I've more or less decided what I wanna put the trailer through. I wanna use styrene to cover the grooves and paint some parts silver and drybrush certain areas. Gonna experiment with the colour a bit. Been visualizing it with flames but I can't seem to imagine myself liking that for the trailer.

Erm...been searching for some tips on styrene. DO I use tamiya cement or superglue? Some forum posts mentioned any superglue would do. But earlier today, I went to a hobby shop and the owner told me that for styrene, best to use tamiya cement. Kinda confused me. He mentioned that superglue wont bond the styrene to plastic well. And it may drop off easily after awhile. Any truth in that?

Before that, I was eyeing the Gorilla glue. Now I'm clueless.