Movie Megatron... Are we jumping the gun?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TRANZ4MR, Aug 24, 2006.

?

Do you like Movie Megatron?

1. Yes

31.3%
  2. No

68.7%
  1. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

Hear me out.
    As of right now, without seeing the final product or seeing it move,
    I'm not a fan of the Megatron design. It looks nothing like any Megatron
    I've ever seen/imagined. H.R. Geiger maybe...

However, It states cleary that this is his "Alien Vehicle Mode".
    So could we also assume (yeah, I know) that this is also his "Alien Robot Mode"?
    Now, I haven't read the script (I'd like to be somewhat suprised at what I see in the theater...).
    So I don't know how long we see him or what "happens" to him.

But if he does indeed get "reformatted" to a more earthly vehicle (whether in this movie or 2/3) then maybe his robot form gets reformatted too.
    Therefore, looking more like the Megatron we all know and love/hate.

If that's the case.
    Then I could very well see this as an "alien Megatron".
    Possibly even like it...

Thoughts?

2. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I definitely don't like the desing we've seen. It's not a Megatron, he lloks kinda simbiotic.

I agree about updating characters, but this was too radical.

I'm feeling worried about this movie.

3. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Ya know what? I actually had a similar though when I first saw the image. I'm hoping this is just his 'original' mode and that he'll get something a bit more familiar once (If) he assumes an Earth based vehicle mode. Finger's crossed cause I'm definitely not feeling the love with the current version.

4. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

If you'd read the script you wouldn't have posted this thread.

Take from that what you will.

Phazer

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Movie Megatron regards Humans as insects... as such adopting an Earth based mode may not fit.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    "megatron"...."jumping the GUN"...oh, i geddit, i geddit! a hahaha.

michael bay not only has jumped the gun, but also landed on my childhood which he then proceeds to rape.

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Maybe you should take that pic off. Some people (not me) are trying to avoid getting spoiled.

I've looked at the designs, but I have not seen the script. I am going out on a limb and saying that all concepts we have seen are close to final, and "Earth" mode, so to speak.

8. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

So quick to judge...

That's why I included movies 2 and 3.

POSS SPOILER!!!
    HIGHLIGHT TO READ

Whether or not Megatron may or may not die is irrelivant.
    Early script = not final script.

And do you honestly think movies 2 and 3 would not include Megatron???

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I feel your pain, buddy. I wasn't alive during G1, but I know I grew up with Beast Wars. And if Michael Bay tried to do a live-action Beast Wars movie that was completely unoriginal, it'd be the same for me.

As for Megatron...that's not Megatron. That looks like a Power Rangers monster.

10. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Personally... this is a love/hate thing.

On a design point, I love the character design. He looks freaking awesome. But, at the same time, he doesn't look like Megatron. He doesn't look like any Transformer at all.

But seeing this, I'm starting to wonder... are we the problem? Look at the last 22 years of Transformers, look at the design asthetic we're used to... Now look at contemporary robot designs, The Matrix, I Robot, Terminator (#3 especially), Red Planet, Lost In Space... any sci fi movie featuring a robot. Contemporary robot design has changed dramatically over the years. Transformers has, however, been stuck looking basically the same since G1. The modern designs are sleek, complex, multi-layered, even fluid... while Transformers are still pretty much blocks, nicer looking blocks than ones of 20 years back but blocks regardless.

It just makes me wonder, are we so unwilling to change with the times? Are we so stuck in the box that's been here since the 80s that we can't see anything but what we've got now? Personally yeah, the new designs are hard to accept. But you know what, I still welcome it. We need a kick in the ass. We haven't seen anything so different since Beast Machines, and we haven't had any kind of perspective twist since Beast Wars. We as fans keep asking for Transtech where designs are almost as different as the ones for this movie, so when we get something similar, who are we to condemn it before we even see it for real?

Until the movie comes out, nobody has the right to say the movie's going to suck over a few design changes. We have to be willing to accept something new. Face it, normal Transformer design would not cut it in modern films. Squared off, blocky characters would not translate to live action on the big screen. And it would not interest the normal movie goer. Fact is, no matter how often we the collectors go see this movie, it's the normal movie viewers who will make or break the success of this film, if they catered to the fans, they might as well make it direct to DVD and cancel all plans for sequels cause it wouldn't draw at the box office.

After Classics it will be 6 years we've had the same style of vehicular Transformers. Relying on G1 homages and clinging on to what we're used to, too afraid to try anything new and too unwilling to change with the times. Even a toy collector has to grow up, and so do the toys we collect. After Classics, based so close to G1, I'm going to be ready and willing to get something completely different, if not for a change of pace, then to at least rejuvinate my love of the classics.

Bring on this over-techno Megatron, I refuse to be scared of something new or hate it before it's even given a chance. I'll try it before I decide I dont like it. I'm stepping outside the box, if you want to follow, the exit's on the right.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I see your point. If he gets an earth alt mode at some point, his robot form may look more like what we're used to. That makes sense.

12. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I bet that won't even happen. A lot of this that seem to make sense aren't happening.

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ummm....ok? All I said was it makes sense. I can see them doing it in a sequel. If you can't, great. Whatever.

14. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

IF they go for the 'Infiltration' angle it might. Of course, he'd need a bit more common of a vehicle mode then a big old tank. It's kind of hard for those not to stick out.

15. Wargasm

Wargasm Member

What picture of Megz are we talking about? The one in ice? I've only seen that one & It's hard to tell what it is.

16. Wargasm

Wargasm Member

Nevermind, found it. Don't care too much for how he looks. Oh well.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like the design, but I can't see it as Megatron. It looks like a great villain, even the perfect archenemy for the movie Transformers, but it doesn't feel like Megatron to me. I accept it as a new take on Transformers, but right now, it doesn't quite feel right to me.

18. O-PRIME

O-PRIME Member

In my ranting and complaining earlier this did come to mind. I hope that this is Megs before the reformat! For that matter I hope the Starscream we are seeing is before the reformat as well!

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Of course you guys know, there is no reformat in this film. This is all speculation for the sequel, if any.

20. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I added a poll, just for the hell of it.