Movie Masterpieces: How Masterpiece are they?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Victorysabre, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Takara seems to think Leader Starscream and Uber Bumblebee are worthy of the Masterpiece line. What I want to know is, do people agree? What I like about the MP line is the large amount of sculpted detail, the great little touch play features like Starscream's switching face and Grimlock's eyes, and the pretty dang perfect representation of the characters. Question is, do the two movie figures measure up? If someone is only collecting Masterpiece figures, would you recommend they include these two?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i don't agree. i say a masterpiece needs to be something new. not a fancy repaint....the look and overall feel needs to be masterpiece worthy, although ss is a great toy, i feel its no more masterpiece worthy than prime or the prime/jetfire combo.
    ..as far as do they measure up, no...should they just be takara or premium releases...possibly, will i get them...nope :) 

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know. I have US MP Skywarp and I have Leader Starscream. Starscream's biggest drawback are the arms/hands and the lack of cool articulation. Other than that, I would say that Starscram is superior to the MP Skywarp. MP Skywarp from the waist down could use a do-over. I can't give an opinion about Bumblebee cause I haven't played with one yet. But As far as Starscream goes, I'd say he is on par.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awe shit here we go again. They are not part of the official MP line nor do their numbers fit in.

Estically they sort of fit, which is why this is still part of the movie line but placed in MP styled boxes. All it really is, is takara trying something different in releasing those figures in Japan.

Personally as thenatureboywoo kind of mentioned, those minor set backs from the leader movie SS, still makes for a better figure than the MP seekers in my opinion. I think it really comes down to overall design. I would sacrifice wrist and finger articulation over not having half a side panel hanging off like the real MP seekers do.

It is really to each their own. I think a lot of ppl get frustrated because the real MP line is all updated and enlarged versions of G1 favorites so the idea of anything else added in every one poo-poo's over.

5. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    I love the MP Seekers design myself. I like the "samurai sword" hip kibble. I don't have a problem with the movie figures being in the MP line, I was only curious if anyone thought they were at that level of molded detailing and everything.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think it depends on the figure. Figure-wise, Leader RoTF Prime & SS are damn close to MP, but could use a little more paint detail (Buster Prime is about as MP as they come if you ask me).

Jetfire and the Megs wouldn't make the cut for me though. Not sure about Brawl.

7. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't the MP line based on G1 only?

8. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    Takara is releasing Leader ROTF Starscream and the new super-duper Bumblebee as MP-M figures at Masterpiece prices and in MP boxes.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    When I think about the term "Masterpiece", I define it as something that probably can't get any better in design/execution.

I relate Masterpiece more to the complexity of their design, the grade of the material, etc.

I don't think a repaint as Masterpiece, because the figures themselves, like Movie Leader Starscream, are GREAT toys. But they are NOT masterpiece in designs.

10. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    Thanks. That's the kind of answer I was looking for, and what I was guessing. I just couldn't be sure having never played with the SS or BB figures.

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The Masterpiece line is so wishy washy with it's features anyway that it doesn't matter.

Starscream and Bumblebee are no less worthy of being called Masterpiece than Grimlock.

Anyone who says otherwise is just a stubborn purist.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Not entirely true. Takara has made Masterpiece Braves as well so I dont see a problem with them releasing Materpiece Movie figures. I do think RoTF Prime is pretty Masterpiece standard except it needs a better paint job. Not sure about the Starscream or Bumblebee since I dont have them.

13. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I ahve seen Leader Screamer and he has got a very nice detail and transformation, but I agree that maybe if it had had some more better materials besides the paint applications, it would have been better.

14. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    Really? Big Grim is possibly my favorite of the MP designs.

15. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    Well now that someone's brought those up, how are the MP Braves?

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    there is a mixture of feelings depending on who you talk to about MP braves. Many wish their size were greater, and this is a big thing, as part of Braves is about being LARGE. The MP braves are mostly "worth it" when you get both of them, but the prices are rather hefty.

17. Victorysabre

News Credits:
    How big are they compared to the TF MPs? How posable?

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I have no problem at all with movie figures being included in the MP line, as a sub line or part of the main series.
    I also have no problem with the fact that so far we have a leader class figure and a supreme(ish) class figure who have made it in.
    That said, I don't think that, by definition, every leader or supreme class figure is worthy of inclusion into the Masterpiece line.

For example, ROTF leader class Buster Prime is an incredible figure, and could join the MP ranks with ease IMO. Then again, movie Ultimate Bumblebee or Animated Supreme Roll Out Command Prime are fairly bad figures and would disgrace the MP line.

There has to be a certain amount of discretion when deciding what peripheral lines can be integrated into the MP line-up. I would always look at each one on a case by case basis.
    The only true defining characteristics for me are relative size and accuracy of the figure to either their original G1 toy (if applicable) or cartoon/movie representation.

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Leader Screamer and uber BB are both MP level engineering i think as well as ROTF Prime but it seems a bit ridiculous to repaint these figures and almost double their cost for the japanese market let alone the further additional cost of importing them to the states. I also personally do not consider these figures MP figures and feel free to disagree with me on this point because i only have 2 mp figures but i think an MP should have much greater articulation than these Leader class figures like some wrist articulation and some hand articulation. Also i expect an MP to have some die cast construction to help make the figures more durable. I also do not think a fancy paint job should be all it takes to make an MP because based on that Buster Prime should be an MP.

Thats my :2c: !

20. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

He's an awesome figure, but he's pretty much an Ultra or Leader class that's been given the Masterpiece lavish paint app detail treatment. He doesn't have the poseability that the Seekers and and Optimus had, which is odd considering they had a made up alt-mode to work with.

Nobody questions Grimlock thought because he is GEEWUN.