movie line value

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by trex5000, Mar 8, 2010.

1. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    I just got a rotf the fallen off ebay for a reasonable price, and have had him for about a week or so, and i have to say, this is the crappiest toy out of all the movie figures,

i can only picture this guy in 5 years at a flea market with a missing foot or hell, even in mint condition and bartering with the guy for a 5 dollar deal...he's horrible, and not that i collect necessarily for value, but its nice to know that TF's, regardless of the line (movie or what have you) will always carry some sort of value, i would say many if not, most increasing in value as time goes on, but some, especially the fallen (IMO) will be one of those going down the tube...

Which fig.s do you think will be in a box at a flea market in five years selling for only a few bucks (in other words not worth the plastic they're molded with)

(and yes im sure a ton of you will post 'all of them', but a lot of these toys are actually quite good, ie ROTF L OP or the HA's)

2. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

The only value you should really be considering is the play value you personally get from the toy. It's pretty pointless to speculate the future value of most anything made today, due to the sheer numbers produced.

If you want something as an investment, look into property.

3. OptimistPrime

OptimistPrime Certified Optimist

News Credits:
    Deluxe Blazemaster, one of the many deluxe Bumblebees, Deluxe Deep Desert Brawl, Deluxe Stalker Scorponok, Deluxe Wheelie, and I can even see the Deluxe bike sisters and Leader Megatron.

4. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    well, as i already said, im not collecting for value, but seeing the fallen just reminded me of a find at a flea market, so i was curious as to other peoples ideas...

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    really, everything will decrease in value over time. too many collectors making sure this stuff lasts now.

only major characters that dont see a shit-ton of repaints and re-releases will hold their value, usually. which means the fallen won't be going for just a few dollars.

6. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

Even G1 toys can still be found at the flea. Plastic Toy Futures is a bad investment, this is not a speculators market.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    everything is cheaper these days, hell you can get a fort max for $7 at a flea market *whistles*

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty much anything released in the USA is likely to be found in a flea market 5 years from now. Remember these are toys, which means most of them are bought for kids. Once those kids lose interest, they're gonna be taken to the flea market....

God I miss flea markets. Ours is now just a Mexican shopping center now...LOL Haven't been to a good flea market in YEARS!

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It is extremely unlikely that the movie toys are going to appreciate in value in the near future. On top of that, there's going to be huge numbers of those figures on the market, unless they're in pristine condition in box, or extremely rare variants of some kind.

I think the majority of the line is going to end up in a flea market somewhere at some point. Strange variants, exclusives, etc. might be able to escape this fate.

10. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I'd say some of the exclusive movie figs, especially some of the Takara ones, will have some collector appeal down the road. Particularly loose mint, MOSC/MISB figures. I'm thinking TFTM Wonderfest Arcee, Black Arcee, ROTF Amazon DVD Black Prime, some of the Hasbro 'battle damage' exclusives, etc.

11. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

It depends. Its all about supply and demand.

When ROTF was out in the theaters and still a hot topic, the original movie figures where very expensive. Believe me I know because I hadn't found this site yet and was subject to their prices :( 

I can see a lot of figures appreciating in value in the long run. And then again, I can see a lot of figures depreciating as well.

12. a-town

a-town Well-Known Member

figures that may appreciate in value (IMO) are tftm VC Evac, tftm cliffjumper and OP nightwatch

13. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Care to share what your reasoning for this is?

I highly doubt many of the toys released in the past couple years will ever appreciate in value the way many of the G1 toys have. There are simply too many of them, with many of them owned by collectors who know how to care for them.

However, some of the more popular kitbashing/customizing figures may go up in value, like Unicron or Primus, due simply to the fact that many of them end up in pieces. At least, that's just my highly uninformed opinion on the matter.

14. a-town

a-town Well-Known Member

^ i just sighted some of the recolors that may increase in value. if you have both the movie 1 optimus and the nightwatch variant, nightwatch will command higher price

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I can't see these ever being cheap :

Lawsons Blackout
    Lawson (gold) Bumblebee
    Vardia (pink) Starscream
    White Arcee
    Japanese Premium Optimus (with chrome)

There's something that are technically rare that might not go completely insane like the Clear Protoforms. simply as a lot of people don't like them.

I do wonder about the long term value of items like Cinema Scene Bumblebee & Scorponok - less so Barricade & Longarm.

Somethings that will probably creep up in value over time might be Premiums of all sorts - I can't see them loosing value in the long term. also because most of them never even came out in all markets.

Something's I'm unsure about the long term value of like the Highway Brawl, Mission City, Nebula Starscream and the exclusive twin pack scouts and twin pack legends sets for example.

I'd guess Clear Windows Bumblebee, The Buster Prime, and the Jetfire/Buster Prime twin pack will probably keep their value and not go insanely high but they might double in value.

I doubt the scouts will be vaulable. I'd be surprised if the Target scouts from 2007 ever went for crazy money - (though I like them).

But the later Real Gears now got for a slight premium price.(well they are offered forone - I don't know if anyones buying them)...I'd like a green videogame Controller - but I don't really want to pay $40.00 for it.

Americans & Canadians might show an interest in the Japanese / UK (non-allspark) Night Watch Optimus in the longterm.

But then what I like is not necesaarily what other like - or even their reasons.

Personally I'd like a Desert Brawl in all molds...and so therefore I'd chase that idea - but others wouldn't be at all intersted in that.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if i bought transformers for the future value, then i wouldn't be opening them, now would i? :lol 

17. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Like Animated, the ROTF line ain't worth anything. it's still just way too overly abundant to find.

tbh even alternators isn't worth anything.

However all my collection is priceless to me because I love each toy I own too much to place a tag on.

18. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The rare exclusive stuff will always have a certain value if only because the poeple who own them will have paid x amount and wont be willing to let them go for significantly less than they paid. As such it might not sell often but when it does it sells high. Example Botcon Ratchet is still listed for hundreds on ebay but they dont seem to sell as often or do go for less than a few years back.

General retail though is just luck of the draw. At best I expect a complete good condition toy to be worth roughly its retail value once its been off the shelf for a year or two. If boxed or better sealed a bit over retail. Often though it wil lend up going for a lot less.

If it was in short supply it'll likely go a bit higher. For example in the UK Cliffjumper and Stealth BB were scarce for a while (Im not sure if they came out or not) so I sold mine on ebay sealed for more than I paid.

At the moment the only line that does seem to be increasing in value is the classic line with most of the original line selling loose and complete for more than the original retail price. I think that says a lot about what the current collector market looks for in its transformers.

Give it 5 or 10 years when todays kids are rediscovering TF and looking for there childhood toys I can maybe see Animated and the movie toys sudedenly becoming desireable and thus more expensive.

But then it hasn't really happened with Beast Wars, it brought in a whole wave of fans buthe toys are still largely reatail or less.

19. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Was Nightwatch Prime not released in the States, then? It was everywhere here in Taiwan. At one point there were about 8 at one of the department stores I frequent.

20. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    g1 deco movie jazz might appreciate, also takara premium prime or MA-21