movie line too long

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by doomtron, Jan 28, 2008.

1. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    when its all said and done we will be looking at another six months of repaints from what was an awsome movie. but now due to the limited amount of characters to begin with we will have repaints shoved down out throats. i myself have no intention on buying these. i was wondering with the rest of you will you be buying all this stuff anyways or will you tuff it out to universe and animated? and do you think the sales will die down enough to send a message to hasbro that we want something new? i personally think of this nearly all repaint line as a slap in the face of us long time collectors or even the kids who started with armada or energon. my feeling they belived they would sell anyways why not release anything we want to oh yeah you have to have to have multiple repaints. i woke up this morning just tired of missing out on my favorite hobby and wanted to voice my complaint. how do you guys feel? dont forget at one point they had classics,titanium and cybertron going at the same time. we could handle a second

2. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Incinerator and Stockade are not repaints. Neither is the recently released Landmine. Furthermore, many of the repaints that are being released are store-exclusives.

*shrug*

I don't really care. I still have to get about 50 more TFs to catch up on A/E/C - Titanium - Alternators, so my wallet appreciates the relative
    lack of new molds in the next few months.

EDIT: BTW, that Galvatron custom in your sig is awesome. It took me a while to figure out he was based on Classics Jetfire.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is a new one for me.

Dude, how can a line be too long? You don't like 'em, don't buy em.

And it's not like it's taking the place of anything else--Animated is already on the way.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Movie line is actually shorter than normal; a TF line usually lasts ~18 months and the Movie line is only going to be around about a year, based on the June 2nd 2007 release and all indications suggesting Animated toys out by this summer. As far as the higher number of repaints near the end, that's been status quo for the past three TF lines. Armada had the Unicron Battles repaints, Energon had the Powerlinx Battles (IIRC) repaints and Cybertron had...I forget what they called that subline. Given that, the "kids who grew up on Armada and Energon" are used to this. As far as it being a "slap in the face to collectors" (which has to be one of the most overused, melodramatic phrases in this fandom), as stated above, if you don't like them, don't buy them. Repaints allow Hasbro to recoup the cost of making a mold, as well as covering the costs of unique molds that don't get repainted.

Classics came after Cybertron, as a bridge between that line and the Movie. Yes, there was a little bit of overlap, but that same overlap occurs at the end of every line. And don't forget that Titaniums (and Alts) were selling poorly.

5. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i agree that its too long. maybe not realtive to other lines, but to itself. I don't care to buy characters that weren't (the repaints and even the new molds) I bought one of each character that was in the movie and doubles when it made sense to be (FB jazz for gun, both BBs, leader and voyages for prime and upgraded to big brawl). I'd much rather see the movie line ended sooner, so I can buy me some animated stuff. Hate watching on sat and not being able to buy toys! RAR!

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It may be too long, especially for some casual fan who only knows/cares about the movie (and only while it's hot, of course). I can imagine some kid saying "wow, Transformers movie toy still around? That's so last summer LOL"

But for us, it's great. It's nice to be able to choose, have something to look forward to :) 

7. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    Hasbro is trying to juice the movie's success. Look at Spider-Man 3 toys ... those have been out for about a year now with no signs of stopping either.

I wouldn't mind any line going for a long time ... but these toys are 3rd or 4th time repaints already.

8. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

The line is ok IMO, just too much different classes of toys, I mean, robot heroes, those statues I don't remember the name now, those baby toys, etc etc etc. With basics, deluxes, voyagers and leaders is enough.

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Personally I'm tired of seeing them on the shelves...the walmart near me just restocked tons of the latest repaints...

I never really liked the movie line to begin with and that coupled with the fact that Animated, RH and classics 2.0 are within sight (all of which I love) makes it worse...

Hasbro really is milking the movie figs...we'll probably see a lot of these on clearance isles in the coming months...

10. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i want more starscream voyager class repaints! and since i can only afford to buy one or 2 transformers a paycheck and i dont mind :D 

11. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Yea the lineis a bit long and boring, I can't say many figures in the line have caught my eye and its the only line I dont want to complete. Do we really need 3 different repaints of the realgear phone? How many more primes do we need in this 1 line?

12. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm indifferent. Repaints are a Hasbro tradition, and with the popularity of the movie line they could care less what fandumb thinks. The great thing for me is that the only line of any interest to me is the upcoming TF Universe, the first wave of which will be full of duds I dont need to pick up. :lol 

13. Elvio

Elvio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Primus Unleashed is what your were looking for.

14. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    well, if they really wanted to make more movie figures, i just wish they'd continue the titanium line

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    My thought's exactly.

16. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I agree on the too many repaints front. Not just repaints but often shamelessly lame repaints and touch ups (those Allspark power rehashes w/ a touch of ugly light blue are a joke). 4 Jazzes anyone?

If they used more fresh ideas in the form of new figures and repaints that don't suck I'd be fine with the line being long running but gosh darn can we say 'cash grab'?

Also I was disappointed that the earlier releases of movie toys pretty much sucked, as both figures and paint-wise. Think Brawl's arm tabs, 77bb and Blackout's breaking auto-morphs, Jazz, 77 BB, and leader Megs' terrible dull paint jobs. Why were figures with these substandard features released in the first place?
    Almost all the good figures came late in the line (Longarm, 08bb, Dropkick, Landmine) and though of course they are being repainted too (I don't think every single figure from a line should be repainted), we are seeing reworkings of the crap moreso and if the companies buying TF movie stock hadn't so massively underordered in the first place (based on POTC sales, wow their research & marketing people are bright), Hasbro wouldn't have to be scrounging to catch up on sales potential while making it seem like the product is new and fresh to keep all people buying.

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Definition: 'How a line can be too long':

When the line's shelf-life exceeds its planned duration due to under-ordering from retailers ahead of its release and opportunistic cash-grabbing in the light of its unexpected degree of popularity. In so doing, this line pushes back other lines' scheduled release dates even though they are ready to go and a new cartoon series featuring the coming figures' characters is many weeks into airing. As a result, the retail consumer experiences a flood of figures from the still-running line that are greatly the same as ones seen half a year ago or minor alterations. The consumer experiences apathy over the current line, thinking how new fresh figures could be hitting the shelves instead, and wonders, in light of the delays the other lines are experiencing as a result, 'it seems like this line has been out too long'.

How's that sound?

For me, G1 is my main love anyways so everything else just comes when it does but I could see how many people could get the 'too long' sentiment based on this (and the lameness of many of the repaints, along with earlier waves being continually restocked).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm DEFEINITELY getting some of the upcoming repaints. Not the Premium line, but some of the Cybertron molds coming down the pipeline. And yeah if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. I've bought very few Transformers recently which I'm frustrated about since I do like collecting, but I'm just trying to think of it as a time I can save a bit of money so I can afford tthe upcoming Classics and the handful of Animated toys I'm interedted in.

19. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

I don't mind the repaints myself, although I don't go out of my way to purchase them either. It really depends on the look and character being portrayed. I have steered clear of the many versions of Optimus, but Evac being different enough from Blackout makes him interesting. There are some I buy purely for sentimental reasons too (ie. Cliffjumper for the '09 Camaro/BB mold and Target exclusive G1 Jazz deco).

I can understand the frustration with Hasbro. Yet their target audience is children, not adult collectors. Kids don't care if there are 10 versions of Optimus Prime with slightly different paint schemes. So I tend to be more forgiving when taking that into consideration. Plus as others have said, I don't have to buy if I don't like what I see.

20. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think the line only feels too long as Animated is now well under way. If it wasn't for that then I think the movie line would feel right on par with the rest of the previous lines.

For myself, I am not that into the repaints and will likely be saving my cash on that.