Movie Line going to be more like Movie Toy release or TF release?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Corbet, May 1, 2007.

1. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I hope you all understood the title...

When it comes to movie lines usually there are only a few waves that last 4-5 months. With Transformers, there are tons of lwaves lasting upwards to a year.

Will the movie toys be released in waves like regular movie toys or like transformer waves?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I didn't understand the title.

Which doesn't really matter because I don't collect other toy lines and have no basis for comparison, other than the casual perusal of Toyfare.

But what I do know is there are too many toys announced to only last a few months, and probably longer with yet-to-be-seen repaints like Thundercracker. I'd say they last through Christmas at least, with repaints through the spring of 2008.

3. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

But face it, the toys will only be popular during the actual movie release in theaters then possibly the DVD. Added to the fact that there are other major movie toys coming out that will eat up shelf space. I know Transformers will always have their dedicated pegs but I don't think they'll be able to consume "movie toy" pegs for the yearly average of Transformer lines.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What, Die Hard talking plush dolls? They better be barefoot and swear a lot.

5. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Pirates of the Carribean, Harry Potter, Fantastic 4, possibly Simpsons?

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My idea's better.

7. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

All I'm saying is there are atleast 3 Movie line toys, possibly 4, to come, to think Hasbro will rule the movie pegs all summer and into winter is crazy.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They won't rule over all. Thay'll have a little more acreage than last year. It will last the same amount of time as any other TF line, and that is until the next one. The only real difference is more swag and a higher profile.

9. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:

10. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'd rather buy the Die Hard Plushie.

The thing with all the other properties you mention is that they're movie, that have toys. Transformers is a movie, but the toys are toys. The movie formers ARE the mainline now, at various price points and incarnations. And unlike the other movie toys, the Transformers Movie toy line will have just as many, if not more, non-movie characters to increase the line a variety of figures available. I have no doubts that even after the movie has been gone for a while, these figures will sell better then other movie toys.

12. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Yes...yes it was....

I'm thinking maybe a pull string like in the old days over the squeeze talks they have now a days.

"Yippie Kay Yay Mother f**ker!"

13. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I'm sure that's the case, the only problem I see is the amount of non-movie molds being used. Honestly, only popular with hardcore fans (aka us), how many kids are going to want a character who isn't even in the movie or a repaint?

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

My guess would be the same amount who bought non show characters from previous lines. Even on their own merit, these Transformers toys are pretty cool toys.

15. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Errrr... I really don't wanna start an argument but are you looking at the same toys as me? Yes, there are some VERY good molds, but many suck, including:

Scorponok
    Jazz
    Frenzy
    Barricade
    Megatron (don't like the ice stuff... and seriously, if they are going for realistic vehicles what the hell is he supossed to be?)
    The Protoforms
    Prime (yes I went there... I don't like him)

Granted, some look amazing, such as, Blackout, Ironhide, and Bonecrusher.

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    But this is only your opinion, entitled to it as you are, it only remains to be seen, many kids may just think:
    that looks cool, thats the one I want.

17. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

I'm sure Megs with atleast be popular with the clear blue plastic... but seriously... what is he supossed to be?

18. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    At most, excluding the real gear toys, there's a dozen "non-movie" toys. That's a small percentage compared to the rest of the line. Also factor in roleplay items like prime's blaster, starscream's arm cannon, and the like. I think this toyline will do quite well with kids and collectors alike. Robot heroes will be popular with all ages considering the cutesy style will draw in the little ones, while the G1 slant will attract collectors.

A cybertronian aircraft of some sort.

19. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    the toys should be released like any other movie toy line is released, all in big clumps a month or two before the movie comes out in theaters.

I dont think they'll dwindle on releasing a few at a time like they usually do over the course of a year and a half.

but we'll see

20. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Star Wars had over a dozen figures produced in 2005 that never appeared on film or if they did, only for a few second.

In regards to the line, I don't think anyone should expect the line to last past Christmas. Once they get the DVD and Christmas sales out, Hasbro is going to dump the line to focus on TF:Animated (the next series). As is, I'm suspecting Frenzy might be part of a small wave of "new" guys along with the rumored repaints to stretch the line until Christmas