Minor/Repaint: Movie Leader Optimus WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jaraxel, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie Leader Optimus Done

Hi guys,

Here's my first custom (actually first TF purchased in 20+ years, first large scale model I've painted, first use of a spray can to paint...) and I took some colour test shots today and figured to show you guys.

I've gone with a darker colour that's also metallic (tamiya metallic blue and red), used a rougher metal (gun metal over black, with chrome silver / titanium silver highlights).

Let me tell you, doing detailed spraying with spray cans is.... painful, but I don't have good ventilation at home so can't set up a airbrush area.

Anyways, just a quick one so let me know what you think.

-- Edit --

Ok... finally done this thing, only took me good part of 6 months or so.

I opt'ed to paint only small amounts of details because a) I seriously cannot see that well with my eyes anymore b) I like simplicity, so prefer less "noise" on my figures c) I'm lazy :-D

You'd notice that the colours are more the metallic red / blues because I really like the deep blue / red of these tamiya paints, and the silvers are silverleaf (no airbrush problem again, and sprayed on chrome I've tested didn't work out that well or not sturdy).

I've taken most photos using ambient sunlight + a soft flash (don't have a light box, sorry) so colours might not be the sharpest.

Cookies to those who can tell what weapon he's holding!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking great man, I used the same metallic blue for my Prime figure (which is still in process :redface2: ). I like the look of your stuff so far though, and welcome to the area! :D 

3. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

Diggin it!

4. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not bad for rattle cans, all things considered. I hear the argument about spraying indoors all the time, there's actually less overspray and fumes from using an airbrush if you're doing it right, something to consider. I've heard of people doing it near an open window with a fan blowing fumes outside, depends on your living situation but there are ways.

5. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    Looks nice and smooth. you should pick up a small metallic silver pen to outline those flames it will help bring them out and i believe thats how they are in the movie

6. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

i very much like the blue you used, its like blue-purple just like buster prime. I think you missed a piece of the stencils on the side of the truck on the red flames.

7. AndyHibbsCustom

AndyHibbsCustom Well-Known Member

looks good pal! did you make the flame stencils your self ? they look good !

8. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks great,welcome to the radicons!

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Friggn LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jaraxel

News Credits:
    Thanks all! Will post more as I get more done. Unfortunately I can't work on this until the kids are asleep and done most of the stuff for the day, so 11pm at least and often just too tired to work on it. So far it took me 3 months (abeit first month I tried hand painting but didn't like how the colours were turning out on large flat surfaces, had to strip and repaint)

Thanks, yeah... I made the stencils by shamelessly using what others have posted before (I believe FrenzyRumble and some one from HK-TF.com were what I based mine on, thanks!) and used Tamiya's 40mm masking tape. However, that's also why there're bleeds and that's the cause of the missed stencils (and less than optimal cleaness). I'm still trying to figure out how to repair that. Thinking of siphoning some paint out from the cans and hand paint it to cover it

Thanks, I'm still thinking as well as trying to see if the wife would approve. I live in HK which means appartment, and airbrushes' compressors then to be noisy due to vibrations. Given my avail times and ventilation concerns, I can't really use the airbrush without thinking it through. I do the rattlecan downstairs in the back stairs, after covering up the area first. If I need to carry down the airbrush + compressor (assuming I can find an electric outlet somewhere), seems too complex. And then there's the wife aggro meter I have to watch.

Trying to figure this one out too, at this scale the outline shouldn't be too visible, and the silver pens are too thick for my liking. I'm considering going FrenzyRumble's tutorial routes and use a 000 brush with acrylics (yay tamiya paints), but I've had some issues with my eyes in the last few years which makes it almost impossible for me to paint with that level of accuracy (also why I can never go back to painting gamesworkshop figures :-/)

11. jaraxel

News Credits:
    Finally done... updated first post's pics :) 

12. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    That's the Snow Saber from the Storm Warrior series

13. winstonojo

winstonojo Primal

Ebay:
    Came out really well. Using spray cans eh..! Still a really good finish though. :thumbs2: 

14. Optimus1116

Optimus1116 Autobot

News Credits:
    bad@ss :cool: 

15. jaraxel

News Credits:
    Bingo! One of my all time favourate weapons :)  /cookie

Thanks.. yeah, spray cans, quite painful to use on projects honestly.

16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Looks really nice! Great job!