Minor/Repaint: Movie Leader/MP Starscream Thrusters (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Timesynch, May 9, 2011.

1. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Seems like a moot point given this little bit of news: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/401936-third-party-accessory-leader-class-starscream.html

But I was in the middle of kitbashing some jet engine thrusters for my Takara MP-M01 (Movie Masterpiece) Starscream. I was inspired by Frenzy_Rumble's previous work on a more screen-accurate Screamer, using two of Energon Scorponok's jet engine feet that I got cheap off eBay.

I have zero experience with kitbashing and/or painting of any kind since I was a kid, so this is all a little new to me and my first real attempt at customizing anything TF-related. Still, it was a fun learning experience!

I MacGyver'd the boosters onto Screamer's back using parts taken from two wire/shirt clips that came with JVC Air ear buds/headphones. Shame I had to scavenge them for parts since the clips themselves are very handy when used for their intended purpose. XD

Anyway, the thrusters slide and clip on to Screamer's back fairly securely with metal pins I pulled off a miniature Yankees Stadium souvenir replica (they were the foul ball posts, haha - and they fit nicely into the holes meant for the spring hinges after I removed them from the clips). After unscrewing and taking the thrusters apart, I just slotted the clips into the holes on the jet engines meant for Scorponok's shovel-feet, screwed them back together, and whaddya know, everything is a perfect fit!

The boosters are easily removable (sliding into the empty space between each top fin and its hinge) and don't hinder the placement of the pegged-in missiles. Although not adjustable for poseability, they can stay on the figure snugly even if I turn Screamer upside down. I had planned on painting them a gunship gray to match the rest of Screamer's color scheme but with these new 3rd party add-ons, not sure if there's a point now. XD

Oh well, again, was fun experimenting and I do like the results, even if they sit on Screamer's back a little too high and a bit too far off to the sides. I still think they look rather good on him as is but we'll see if the 3rd party add-ons will come out any better. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Damn F*ckin' cool!

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Agreed! Like I posted in the thread you linked, I'll have to try this out if the 3rd party boosters are too expensive...

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yours are placed correctly, whereas the kit is off his shoulders. You win. :thumb 

Randy!

5. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Thanks, glad you like the mod!

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry, I must have missed your post in the other thread. XD

I'm not sure if this custom mod is any more cost effective, given I had to hunt down two (left and right) loose Energon Scorponok feet on eBay (about $10 total with shipping), and then the two clips off two JVC Air earphones (which can range from $25-$60 for both with shipping depending on where you shop - I had to get new earphones anyway to replace my old ones).

And then there's the issue of getting a mini NY Yankees Stadium souvenir replica, lol, which I just had lying around as a gift from a relative. Added up, I'm sure this mod will be well over the cost of this upcoming 3rd party add-on for Screamer, even with shipping (provided it gets released). XD

Thanks for the kind words! Actually, if you look at screenshots of Screamer from the rear:

[​IMG]

My modded thrusters sit a little bit too high and too far off to the sides of his back to be totally screen-accurate; they're supposed to positioned in the center of his back rather than off his shoulders.

But I do like how unobtrusive and seamless my engines came out compared to the upcoming 3rd party add-on kit, with nothing to get in the way of pegging the missiles in the rear holes if I want to (those large J-shaped strut supports of theirs look a bit weird and obtrusive to me).

My mod isn't adjustable for poseability, sadly, but it looks like the add-on kit might be plus their mold is more screen accurate with the overall shape and those jagged bits. So each mod, mine and the 3rd party's, has its pros and cons.

If they do release the add-on kit, I'm definitely getting it for the buzzsaw and null ray fin attachments! That part of Screamer I don't think I can custom mod very well at all myself, heh.

6. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

pretty cool!

7. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

Great idea, I'll have to look into a junker Scorponok for this.

8. hthrun

Ebay:
    I already have an Energon Skorponok. I'd probably use some other method of attaching the boosters to his back, maybe Legos... :thumb 

9. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Thanks, glad you approve!

Thanks, but I can't take the credit for using Energon Scorponok's jet engine feet - that was Frenzy_Rumble's original idea. Finding one for sale cheap shouldn't be very hard at all.

Cool! Attaching the boosters securely to Screamer's back without any invasive or difficult modding (like taking a Dremel to the figure and adding screws, etc.), that's the real tricky part. XD I'm glad my makeshift clips worked so perfectly on the first try. I haven't thought to use Legos (I haven't had any since I was a kid), but I wish you the best of luck and please be sure to let us all know how it goes on Radicons!

10. ThinkTank Customs

News Credits:
    maybe you could "recast" them for shapeways? would be so damn nice!

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

awesome

12. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Thanks! I'm not familiar at all with Shapeways, though. What's it about?

Thanks, glad you like!

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    I decided to give these a go today! I might still get the 3rd party set, but so far it's sounding too much more than what I'm willing to pay...

In the attached pic I have one I just completed and the other that I have yet to do. I cut off about half of the black Lego piece, right up to the middle ridge, and shaved down the thruster peg until it could slide in. Then I just added superglue. I'll paint them later on...

I tried the pegs before and they seem to fit the holes on Starscream's back pretty well. They're a little off from the CGI model, but I think I'll be ok with it. I could try getting some Lego bars with holes and use more pegs to get them at a more accurate location, but I think all the extra Lego pieces will look worse...

Attached Files:

14. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love this, in fact maybe be better than than the Fanswantit kit. No offense to them, but it never struck a chord with me, not exactyl sure why. But these simple Scorponok thrusters look brilliant to me.

15. hthrun

Ebay:
    I'd really like to support a 3rd party company that's making movie toy accessories, but so far it's too expensive for me. I wish the set would drop below $20, but from what I've heard it's going for more than $30.

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm telling you, I like these WAY better than the unofficial official ones made by the 3rd party company.

Not trying to cut their throats or nothing, but I'd be willing to bet that any one of you that have made this could cast them/get them cast, and make some loot off of them.

I know I'd buy a set.

17. ThinkTank Customs

News Credits:
    really cool, and i still hope fakebusker will create some too...

18. hthrun

Ebay:
    If it would help I could send mine to him...

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Here are a couple pics of the booster attached, before painting...

Attached Files: