Minor/Repaint: Movie Leader Class "Junkyard" Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TrickyFingersNZ, Oct 11, 2012.

1. TrickyFingersNZ

TrickyFingersNZ Well-Known Member

This has probably been done a million times but I thought he came out pretty cool, he was my guinea pig for rust washes so if its a little over the top thats why! Missed a few spots but this was one of my first repaints and he's long since been sold but I thought you guys might enjoy a few pics of him...

Attached Files:

2. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Oh nice work tricky! I like this. I know what you mean with slightly over the top, I did my battle damaged cliffjumper prime that I posted on here, and it was my first proper go at battle damage, and I just couldn't stop! It's so hard to turn off the 'just a little more' nerve hey.

But man I like this. He would be great to see in person. And my favourite bit is such a simple part, his front wheel rims, I think you really nailed the metal slight rust look to them. They just look freakin real!

How fun is painting these toys. But sheesh it takes time.

See ya,
    Jozaeh

ps: are you a NZ'er? I'm just a hop away from you in queensland...

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Great job! I'm planning on painting my 2007 leader Optimus white at some point, too...

4. Ruminus

Ruminus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yea, this one is really nice too! The only thing I notice is a lack of gravity on the rust. Mainly around the rivets where the rust would be spreading downward over time. But hell, looks great regardless!

5. TrickyFingersNZ

TrickyFingersNZ Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Jozaeh!

Yea at the time I was painting a Supreme Class Devastator and had gotten to the point I wanted to do some rust but I had never made a wash before so I used this as my practice. I'd already given up on Ultra Magnus at that point (I was trying to do a clean version and messed the white up a few times so I put him in the closet!) but once I started layering the crap on him he started to look pretty sweet!

But yea I know what you mean about quitting while your ahead with the battle damage lol!

I'm from NZ yes, cool man good to know there are other customizers in this part of the hemisphere, the TFNZ site is pretty dead when it comes to repaints and customs!

And yes its waaaay to much fun, I have a few days off so I'm working on a power up prime repaint, Jetfire done (see my previous threads) and now working hard on OP. Good times! :D 

Cheers,
    Zane

6. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

I'm really beginning to like these rusted out, old looking figures. The best part is, if the paint gets scratched when you transform it, it only adds to the detail. Nice work on Magnus!!

7. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Yes Cortex! That's what I love about damaged painted mods too, it only adds!

8. jozaeh

jozaeh Well-Known Member

Ah you're welcome! Dang it, I take so much time and care with my paint jobs, that the moment something stuffs up, or I accidentally bump a part that i've JUST sprayed and it marks it with a big dig mark or smudges the smooth gloss that I had achieved, it KILLS me! So I don't blame ya for throwing him in the cupboard.

Sweet, we'll keep this hemi (sphere) rolling with the mods.

Ha! See ya cuz.
    J