Customs: Movie Landmine to...Kup?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by DisThunder, Dec 24, 2007.

1. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this last night.
    Landmine's robot mode has that kind of spindly appearance that Alex Milne's (I think) Kup had in spotlight, and I think he'd fit pretty good with classics.
    The colors are already pretty good for it, just need some detail work, but he big question would be what's a good headswap for it? I thought GTS, but he's honestly not Kup enough outside of the homage.
    Anybody got some ideas?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think TF Animated's Cybertron mode Prime would make a better Classics Kup. He just needs a new head.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, this was my Kup plan...
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=159432

But that wasn't your question, was it? :) 

I think the thing that keeps me from seeing Movie Landmine as a Kup is his altmode. For some reason Kup seems like he should be some kind of service or transport vehicle (well, considering his name is derived from "pickup").

The Landmine mold has that leanness, but also seems like a mean commando machine with big talon-like hands, and a lightweight military alt mode.

zmog

4. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I got to looking at my Landmine after you posted this...and you may be onto something.

The Drab Teal and the "allspark" highlights give him a somewhat Kuppy flavor, and I definitely see the "Spotlight" reference in the spindly limbs.

Tell ya what -- give this some thought. Swap out a more Cartoon-like Kup head; with the deep, old, undercut eyes and a helmet color more in line with the rest of landmine's body...there's plenty of room inside the alt mode for different head. And replace his "claws" with gundam hands... the ballsocket looks like a standard 1/144 hand MIGHT fit... it might be a wee bit too small, but with a little polish and finagling (maybe some sticky wax) it could work without too much rattling around. The hands just become the interior seats anyways -- you wouldn't be missing much in alt mode by replacing them with gundam fists or open palm hands.

As a G1 Homage. he even has the Grey and Teal body part aesthetic going on, along with the subtle Orange and Yellow kneecaps, the bulky Hood-as-chestpiece, and for god's sake he even has the wheel feet like Kup.

He's a little too "serious" looking for me (personally) to honestly consider him as a candidate for a Classics line stand-in, but a movie Kup seems eminently Do-able....

Me, I was looking at sculpting a Beachcomber head, but now that you mention it...yeah... I can totally see a Kup happening.

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I always figured Kup for an old war veteran - perhaps this could be Kup back in his glory days. XP

6. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Here's a quickie digibash I did off of my idea above, using a more g1-styled head and gundam hands (though not to scale. YMMV):

[​IMG]

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow... that actually looks pretty decent. Even if I don't take this on for Kup, I think I'll try something similar with Landmine. I already like the figure, and I like him even more with the new fists and a more G1 head. Can't wait!

zmog

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just don't see it as Kup. Some sort of military transport vehicle maybe, but not Landmine.

9. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    That's looking pretty damn slick. I'm kinda leaning toward Armada Hoist for a head, and you're definitely right about swapping out the hands.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nick Roche was the artist and writer for that issue.