Minor/Repaint: Movie Jazz WIP a little too metallic

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mampy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I'm working on another custom yet again. Continuing my line of movie autobots, here's Jazz.

I initially had a lot of trouble matching the Jazz's grey/silver movie color. Anyway, I tried this automotive paint brand called DoIt. At the hardware store, their "Burning Platinum" color seemed like a perfect match for Jazz.

I really like the finish, but it may have come out a little too metallic/shiny. There are just too many metallic flakes in the paint. The pictures do exaggerate things. My desklamp is too strong and I just used my camera phone, being too lazy to set up my make-shift light tent to take better pics.

Is there any way for me to reduce this effect? Would some form of dull coat take out the shine altogether? (which is something that I may not want)

EDIT: Added are some bot mode pics. the grey/silver robot parts (head, thighs, etc) are painted in a mix of Tamiya Gunmetal and Metallic Grey. That was the color I initially intended to use for his alt mode, too. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to go on evenly. Now, I'm thinking on whether to spraypaint his robot parts with the platinum (of his alt mode) or just keep him as is for a little contrast between the alt and robot mode colors.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Ideas and criticisms are welcome. :) 

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Personally, I think it looks great! That's a great color.

3. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks! The finish is much better in person, or when you're not shoving a bright desklamp in front of it. I'll try to take pictures in sunlight or under a light tent tomorrow.

EDIT: Added are some bot mode pics. the grey/silver robot parts (head, thighs, etc) are painted in a mix of Tamiya Gunmetal and Metallic Grey. That was the color I initially intended to use for his alt mode, too. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to go on evenly. Now, I'm thinking on whether to spraypaint his robot parts with the darker and flakier platinum (of his alt mode) or just keep him as is for a little contrast.

4. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    i think it looks great as well...remember that jazz is a flashy sucka and this finish fits him

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

just like the other guys said it looks great. however i understand what you mean i have had the issue with a house of color spray. i will tell you what though that color is awsome to put a clear color over to make a candy color.

6. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    The metallic flakes are just too big! Remember this is not a life-size car.

great color though. You can try to dull it up a bit with a matte finish wash?

iDD

7. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely be going over it with Future after I finish painting.

8. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

hey brother mampy !!! not only you impress our fellow cybertronians, you impress the tfw community !!! that is one great repaint of jazz. Looks like a metallic finish IMHO :)  and it rocks !!!

9. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    more like not metallic enough!

10. mampy

News Credits:
    hey there! thanks for the kind words, man!

imma try to complete it as soon as possible.

11. snappyjacks

snappyjacks Banned

It does look good man. I do know a color that will match Jazz's car color in the movie perfect though, Tamiya Gunmetal X-10. It's kida dark grey but when the light hits it, silvery. I dont thats what you were going for, accuracy but if you get another Jazz, try that out. Your work is really good though, I've seen a few of your customs I've liked.

12. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks man!

Prior to using this automotive paint, I did try a mix of Tamiya Acrylic gunmetal and metallic grey. I also liked how it matched Jazz's color, but I couldn't brush it on properly on large areas such as the car exterior. It may not be very compatible with the black automotive paint basecoat I used.

This automotive finish is the best alternative I could find. While it is not as movie accurate, it does look great in its own right. Jazz is almost complete as of now. I just have to repaint some details, and paint his gun with the same platinum color.

I might be posting completed pics in a day or two. Watch out :)