Minor/Repaint: Movie Jazz +Knees

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Mr Ray, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

I orginally did this months ago but was plannning on repaining it then posting the mod. But since ive been lazy and havent even started painting i might aswell share my mod.

I love this toy but hate the fact that his knees are none existant so i did a simple alteration and volia.

Edit: al explain since some cant see what ive done :p 
    There are two holes in his thighs for where the door is inserted and attached by the screws on the other side of his thigh. By removing these screws it lets the door slide in and out but it is very loose and keeps popping off when trying to pose the fig. So i glued little red plastic bits on the door pegs (pic1) so it opens jus enough for the knee to bend underneath the door (pic2)

Before/After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Subtle, yet VERY nice modification. Despite his short life span in the movie, I really liked Jazz.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I'm not exactly sure what you did there, since I don't have a Jazz in my hands here, but can he still transform?

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

You should make the doors removable. Gives him 2 holes in his thighs, but makes him more athletic looking, better leg movement, and the doors easily peg back on

5. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's what I did.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

great job

7. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Awesome, very quick, easy, and EFFECTIVE mod. Just what I like to see. :) 

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Basically made it so the doors on his legs can extend out a bit so his knees have better clearence to bend. From the looks of it, he still transforms fully.

As much as I'd like the doors to be removed from his legs, I personally have a thing against parts forming like that. His gun bugs me to no end already, I couldn't imagine how much it'd bug me to have to parts-form his doors. I suspect the OP may have similar feelings about this, hence his choice for making the doors just pop out.

It's a great mod, simple, yet effective. Nice work. :thumb 

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

You could just keep em in, they hold almost as good as they do with screws

10. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I decided to see if I could pull off this mod this morning, so I ripped apart my G1 Movie Jazz and took a look around inside there.

If you do this, take note that you will probably have to glue the halves back together. When you remove the two large screws holding the door onto the leg, there will only be one small screw left in the back holding the thigh halves together, and they will not stay flush on their own.

I too hate Partsformers, but I love increased posability, so I started thinking about how I could do the door mod without having the doors come all the way out.

I thought I might trim a peg so it doesn't reach the other half of the leg shell, then add a wider screw to the peg on the inside of the leg, to prevent the door from coming all the way out. One of the pegs inside the door is mostly restricted by space -- there's only really enough room for the peg itself, though a T-shaped stopper could work. The other peg, the one situated above the sliding thigh assembly, has plenty of wiggle room around it, so this is where I figured I would put the screw.

Trust me, it all makes sense once you open him up and see what you've got to work with in there.

As I got to looking at it, I thought "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to make the door snap back into position, rather than worrying about it flopping out in alt mode?" Sure, there's enough friction there that a stoppered door peg (like the one in OP's pic) will PROBABLY stay just fine, and almost certainly with a coat of nail polish... but I had an idea.

In my box of random parts and junk, I had a handful of springs. I reasoned there was plenty of room in the leg cavity, I'd use a wide-brimmed screw as a stopper, and a spring to keep the door steady, as well as pull the door back into its original position in vehicle mode.

The door and the inside of the outer thigh half shell:
    [​IMG]
    (The phantom pegs show where the door pegs were, before I cut them off)

As I was doing this, I thought of another idea -- trim the second peg down to the point where the door can rotate freely on his thigh. So that's what I did.

Now the door can be pulled out far enough to bend his knee behind it (Like the OP), but it always snaps back into the socket. -OR- Alternately I can choose to rotate the whole door assembly around and let the spring tension/friction hold it nearly horizontal...which looks really cool!

Standard Door Position:
    [​IMG]

Door pulled out slightly, secondary shaved peg visible:
    [​IMG]

Door rotated horizontally, with secondary peg behind thigh:
    [​IMG]

Back Views of door rotated:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posing like a chump:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for this awesome mod, Mr Ray!!!

11. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Man these are awesome mods. I did it the parts-former way but I think I'll revisit this guy to see if I can do it this way

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Bloody brilliant.

13. ray_1301

ray_1301 New Member

Yea, im not really a part former type of guy! ShadowStitch, i Like what u did, nice variation. Glad this has sparked some more ideas. :D 

Edit: oops wrong account

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ewww i'm telling...

I always hated the fact jazz's knees were so limiting. This is a nice mod, part-forming or not. I mean, hell, doesn't Jazz's trunk come off anyway...

15. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

not on mine it doesnt lol