Minor/Repaint: Movie Jazz gets a Facelift

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I got tired of the Beaky look on Movie Jazz, particularly when coupled with his G1 Redeco, so I decided to take Apoxie in hand and remedy the situation.

I used the IDW wallpaper as a sort of inspirational reference, and I thought it would be cool to give him a bit of a smirk, and so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like how it turned out, and now he's chilling on the shelf with my Classics figures until something better comes along. My only complaint is that I'm starting to think Apoxie sculpt doesn't have a fine enough tooth for detailed work like this, since it never seems to sand perfectly smooth no matter how long I hit it with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. And it's strange, how in these photos the reflectiveness of the silver tamiya paint makes it look like he has weird pockmarks and stray lines carved in his face...though with flat primer it looks perfectly smooth.

You might notice in the body shots, I already performed the spring-loaded door rotation mod on him, so the doors can be pulled out slightly and rotated, and they snap back into place. Next, I may see about giving him some real hands... Oh well.

Attached Files:

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Daaamn that looks sooo much better! Still fits with the movie asthetic but it looks like Jazz. Great job. Now cast it and send me a copy for my Jazz. Thanks in advance :thumb 

3. tylerzero

tylerzero Active Member

I've always hated the movie Jazz headsculpt, but you my friend have done this up RIGHT!

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not bad. The sculpting is good. Though I disagree with one thing, it does not fit in with the movie aesthetic at all. Looks too fluid.

5. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I think it fits in pretty good, nice job on the mod!

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

HEY!! Looked who dropped by! :thumb  Great look for him man!

7. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Haha, if I thought it was a professional enough sculpting job to deserve it, I would look into that. :D  As it stands, it's just sort of a hack job for my own enjoyment.

Yeah, I agree, it's totally not like the other movie bots. But I really wasn't looking to have him fit with the rest of the shardformery aesthetic... I probably could sharpen the soft edges, but since he had a G1 paintjob, I wanted to display him with my Classics. I still have a silver Movie Jazz, to keep Prime company. :lol 

I also gave Rescue Ratchet a makeover. ;) 

[​IMG]

8. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

very nice dude! wish i had jazz...and one of your heads XD

9. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

:drool: I completely agree with these guys, your Jazz looks soooo much better. Maybe it is just that I hate the movie style, which is mostly true:wink: , but the combination of the G1ish paint job and the reshaped head makes this one of my favorite kitbashes I've seen on the boards. I really have to at least reshape the head on my battle damaged Jazz like yours. I love your Ratchet too. I think this is how they both should have looked in the movie.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

very nicely done

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    face looks smooth to me, I dunno what you're talkin' about. Only thing I see are his "cheeks". I love A sculpt.

12. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Maybe it's not a perfect match with the movie style, I guess it's more me wishing that the movie style head were at least closer to this. The bodies and transformation style I can dig but all the heads they used are just horrific to me. They could have morphed their faces to look more human for the sake of fitting in better.

I actually think it's kind of odd that although their faces fit their bodies to a point, none of their faces look like the other bots. Take any animal on earth and their faces have similar characteristics and even though we can tell human faces apart from each other they all have pretty much the same general features. It's not too far fetched to think an alien race would either share features or since they can adapt, share features of the natives they visit.

Back on topic, PM for my address when you've casted that Jazz head for me :D 

13. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

PM me too. I love your sculpt.:bay