Minor/Repaint: Movie Jazz Arm mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by minsok, Jul 7, 2011.

1. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

This was based on an idea by SMOG, but my search doesn't work, so I can't find the page to link to it. Put in some ball joints to attach the doors and make them forearms. It's pretty cool this way because his old arms make two cool shoulder pylons. I used the smallest hands I had because there is NO WAY to install hands in the correct place unless you're willing to rework the telescoping legs or have them show in vehicle mode like I did.

Lengthened his torso, too. Vehicle mode later, it is a little messy. On a side note, I can't believe every other car transformer in the movies has gotten complete remolds. Every. single. one. The Twins, and guys that were in ROTF for literally one minute and had no lines. Probably the new guys will get remolds, too. But we're stuck with this gimped Jazz.

Attached Files:

2. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

There is Human Alliance Jazz...

[​IMG]

3. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

There is Human Alliance everyone except Jolt...

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

NICE!

I did my version soooooooo long ago, and gave up on it because I wasn't sure if I could fit the ball joints into the alt-mode. What you've done here looks like everything I wanted to do and more! I was even planning on extending the torso, and you've hit that too! Sweet! :D 

I'm really curious to see some close ups of that arm assembly, and to see how it all manages to work in car mode. It's so sad that this is the only Deluxe Jazz that we got. :( 

zmog

5. astig

astig Optimus Prime's Driver

News Credits:
    cool bot mode. this improves the figure significantly. im very much interested in seeing the alt mode for this please. i may try this custom.

and i definitely agree with this^. multiple versions of BB, sideswipe etc. even the big bots optimus, ratchet and ironhide get deluxe versions, but sadly no updated jazz :( .

6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Can't wait to see how it looks, the robot mode is MUCH better!!!

I bought the Robot Replica Jazz because I liked the movie model so much, but hated this guy's robot mode. He's the only Robot Replica toy I bought because of all the other deluxes I thought their robot modes were sufficient.

7. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    and, where's the vehicle mode? this custom jazz looks so cool

8. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    can we get some pics of the inner workings? i wanna see how you did this

9. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

It looks much better now

10. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Vehicle mode looks basically the same except there's a 3 mm gap above the rear view mirrors and there's a 7x7 mm square directly in front of the rear tires. My camera took a crap and doesn't work anymore, so no pictures for awhile.

I used bionicle ball joints because they had the range of movement I wanted. They are too big, though, which is why I trimmed the hips a little. I put them at a 45 degree angle so his arms could hang down (which is why there's a gap above the rear view mirrors). Honestly, it's kind of a lot of work for what you get; the way the doors are shaped, his arms can only pitch in, not out. You can mostly capture this look by just attaching the doors directly to that little hinged part without using a ball joint or anything. The only problem doing it that way is you have to transform his shoulders a little lower and he can only point his gun straight. Otherwise, looks virtually the same and is way easier.

11. SMOG

Hmmm... I really should return to this project myself. I have a bunch of Bowei Bricks now, which work with smaller ball-joints than Bionicles. Might be small enough to fit without as much cutting being necessary.

zmog

12. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

I think it's possible to mimic the transformation design of HA Jazz onto the deluxe version of Jazz with some major modding. I am sure some new tooling would be needed to pull off the hands and such, but if you look at the hands it comes with already, it kind of does the same thing by folding down. If you can transfrer that tooling over to the doors, you can pull off the same effect with a new set of hands designed after the HA model. This has deffently got me thinking about this and the potential to improve upon this model.

13. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Also, except:
    • Ratchet
    • Optimus
    • Ironhide
    • Jetfire
    • Megatron
    • Starscream
    • Blackout
    • Bonecrusher
    • Brawl
    • Scorponok
    • Demolishor
    • Hightower
    • Scavenger
    • Mixmaster
    • Scrapper
    • Longhaul
    • Rampage
    • Sideways
    • Ravage
    • Dino
    • Topspin
    • Q
    • Sentinel Prime
    • Crankcase
    • Crowbar
    • Hatchet

14. SMOG

I think he meant cars, generally speaking... figures that would have the right size profile to fit in the HA line. Obviously the Constructicons, etc don't fit the bill.

And he's almost right. Most of the car TFs that got any screen time have received the HA treatment (not including the very newest DOTM characters). Sideways barely counts, I would think.

Regardless, I'd like to see a HA Jolt too. :) 

zmog

15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I looked at mine for a little bit, too, to see what could be done. I'm thinking some parts forming may be involved...

16. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    Very cool

17. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did mean cars. Sideways! I totally forgot that guy existed. Yes, the only car less loved than Jazz was that guy that was in robot mode for 5 seconds and then immediately died. That's too bad, too. He has a pretty cool robot mode. Think I'll hit up my local nerd store and see what they have loose...

18. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had some ideas for Jazz for some time now (posted my wheel removal) - still need to get off my butt & start work on my arm mod...

This mod is great though, breathes new life into this mold...

19. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

Ok, just won two Jazzs, one regular one to take apart and tinker mods with and one Final Battle Jazz for his movie gun. First order of buisness is to mod that head after the HA version. Which brings up a question, how was it constructed? I do not see any screws in the back of the head. Any ideas?

20. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

Wow! This looks great! Can you post a tutorial? Thanks :)