Movie Instrumental Score

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Zipdragon, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Zipdragon

Zipdragon Triple Changer

Hi transfans! Zipdragon here...

Being in the (presumably) smaller category of female TF-lovers, I feel compelled to ask about something that I haven't seen addressed yet (I even checked back a few pages on the forum to be sure). We've seen a trailer, which was good, and lots about TF designs and such...but what about the music?

I'm not talking about what rock ballads or soapy alternative songs are going to be tossed into the film. The animated TF movie of yesteryear had plenty of that, but an absolutely forgettable score...just a lot of synth bunk.

I really want to know who's composing the music for the movie, and if we can expect a truly bold score that supports the film? Something that one could listen to seperately and really get a feel for the action and events in the film.

2. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
  3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Hey, a fellow female Transformers fan! Just when I thought I'd be the only female fan on the board...

Don't know who's doing the music for the live-action movie, but I hope the score is just as good as the score from the animated one (I can't help it, I listen to the soundtrack just about every single day!)

4. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Welcome to the boards ZIPDRAGON...
    It's Steve Jablonsky doing the score according to the trailers. He did the (rather good, I thought) score for THE ISLAND, and it's his snippet heard during the announcement trailer.

From the very beginning I've only wanted an orchestral score - I don't like songs in movies, and especially hate this trend of CD soundtracks that feature music "from and inspired by...". In my opinion, the only time a song works in a movie is when it's in the context of a bar scene or if it's heard on the radio.

I guess a song over the end credits is okay as long as it doesn't intrude into the movie - At least then we get a promo video to spread awareness of the film, but something akin to the '86 animated movie? That would put me right off!

5. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. There were so many songs in the '86 movie it seemed like a musical.
    I mean, at any time, there could have been a Kup, Hot Rod, Wheelie kickline for Pete's sake.
    Hell, they actually did have a dance scene with the Junkions.

6. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i hear ya. an intense action movie with some epic elements such as Transformers should definitely only be orchestral. maybe a bit of techno beatz during car chases but for the most part, the fellow that did the announcement trailer seems to know his stuff.

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Hello! I'm another female TF fan.

Sorry to take the opposite view but I LOVE songs in movies. Give me something that actually has WORDS that I can sing along to. I LOVED everything about the old TF movie soundtrack. I also love musicals.

BUT I agree something different is needed for the new movie. I just want the theme music to be memorable in some way like a variation of the orginal theme song done orchestrally or something. I want it to stick in my head long after I've seen the movie like the theme from Star Wars or Pirates of the Caribbean. I think an orchestral/techo mix kinda like was done with the Matrix would work well for the new TF movie.

8. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

What I'd like to hear is something like what was done for the Matrix movies and have fusion of electronica and orchestral elements.

9. Zipdragon

Zipdragon Triple Changer

I think my ideal choice for an instrumental soundtrack would be the style known as orchestral rock. It features a full orchestra with an electric and bass guitar for backup. I've heard it used before, and the result is often powerful.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Yes, orchestral rock. Something like that would work very well - the blending of the timeless and the modern is exactly the kind of thing TFs need.

11. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

We've heard some of the music for the movie.

The little tune that plays after the mars rover stuff in the announcement trailer, its a more traditional sound.

Then there is that background hum and ambient mechanical stuff.

Me thinks its gonna be a mix of those two styles throughout the movie.

With the odd background song for the environment (car stereo etc)

12. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

All the trailers we've seen have temperary music.

From the Don Murphy TransformersCon interview, we can expect the original TF theme song to be in the movie in some form or another: I can't wait to see how they sample it for a modern movie (maybe like the new Doctor Who theme?).

13. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Lol, hopfully they dont butcher it as much as they did between the orignial oompa loompa song and the modern day musicals from "charlie and the chocolate factory" lawl!!! :D 

14. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Well-Known Member

Are you thinking about something similar to what is heard on Batman Beyond? I REALLY like that sound, but I am not sure it would work in this movie. I believe a really good, solid orchestral composition would work nicely. Of course I am very partial to Danny Elfman.

15. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Well-Known Member

When I was in high school (everyone get in the way back machine for this one) I listened to it every night. I am certain the cassette went out mission impossible style due to constant use. Thank god for CD's. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the BOTCON soundtrack from a few years back that had all the tracks not available on the original release. I went ahead and mashed it all into one big soundtrack. Took two F'in CD's, but it is still cool to have. Come to think of it, I haven't listeded to it in a while. For me the best time to listen to it was when I was in my rack trying to goto sleep.

16. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i would so want to buy that, i like on some movies the music score and the soundtrack. though alot i perfer the musical score to the movie. helps you remember the movie wihtout having to watch it for the 50th time.

17. Lock Cade

Hey, Fairlady_Z! I too am a female fan and love the old TF movie soundtrack. I kinda like your idea, having a mix of techno music with orchestral be the background music for the live-action film. That should work.

18. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Because the score is amongst the very last things completed on a film - so late, in fact, that even preview screenings are often done without the music - trailers usually have the score from another similar film (check, for example, the amount of times the Gladiator theme crops up) or else commission special trailer-specific music. For example, The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe had a marvellously stirring piece for the trailer by X-Ray Dog that was much better than anything in the film itself, in my opinion.

Indeed, this very weekend I saw a trailer for a film I'd never heard of, Becoming Jane, about Jane Austen - featuring the music from Sense And Sensibility.

19. Lock Cade

Unfortunately, my copy of the soundtrack -- being on CD -- is all scratched up and in badly need to be replaced. And what?! You got a soundtrack from Botcon that had tracks that were not on the original release?! Dude, burn me a copy will ya? I'll pay ya!