Minor/Repaint: Movie Insecticons: Kickback, Bombshell, and Shrapnel

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Floating Cat, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Floating Cat

Floating Cat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here is my take on the G1 Insecticons if they had shown up in any of the TF live-action movies. These guys started off as my first customizing project way back in December 2009. It's taken until now to finally finish all three of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I originally started off with some of the ROTF figures being duplicates of ones I already had, and were destined for customizing fodder. I saw potential for a trio of Insecticons and made plans. I took stock photos, digibashed them in Photoshop, but never did any actual work implementing them. I had been gifted an airbrush, compressor, and paints but then neglected to use them for a while.

I finally decided to start with Shrapnel first. He is based on ROTF Jolt. Being my first attempt at painting a TF, let alone using an airbrush, he was an exercise in frustration. I was very impatient and so he is very very sloppy. Lots of paint wear, brushstrokes, and the paint is too thick. At the end of the day, he got done but I took a very long break before trying the other two because of the issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bombshell was next. Based on ROTF Gears, I had been told by encline that it was most likely the Createx Acrylic paints I was using that were the cause of my problems. So after coming back from BotCon 2011, I tried my hand at finishing these guys. I tried being more patient and careful, which worked out better to some degree, but most definitely the paints I was using are pretty terrible. The paint collects dust, peels off, and doesn't flow right; and I was still stuck using them to keep the paint schemes consistent. Bombshell still turned out much better than Shrapnel in the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, there was Kickback. Kickback was the only original G1 Insecticon I had growing up and so he was really the impetus for doing these three. Again I was more patient and he turned out the best of the three.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the end of the day, it was truly the paints I was using that were causing most of my frustration. I'm glad these guys are completed, but I'll be using more suitable paint in future projects. These pics and more are also up on my Flickr account as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/floatingcat/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I must say, these are absolutely brilliant! I love the paint job on them, and without a doubt, you can tell they're meant to be the Insecticons. Great job once again.

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Oh that is badass. The look great.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :bowdown: :bay 

5. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job painting them, my only critique would be that the yellow is too bright and in some places solid for lack of better term. Mabe drybrush some darker yellow or black on the solid yellow pieces. Otherthan that great repaints, look great as insecticons

6. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:

The flip side of that is yellow can be a complete muther focker to get that brilliant.

Love these dude, after seeing them lined up with their G1 counterparts I can really see the resemblance.

7. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

LOVE IT! The mold choices fit perfectly; Bombshell being stockier, and Kickback's wings. the color schemes are wonderful, and the yellow windows look sweet.

My only bit of constructive criticism would be adding some detail to Shrapnel's chestplate- it looks kinda bare. Then again, I know nothing about modeling paint, so maybe that's not possible.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

FANTASTIC> great idea

9. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The robot modes look very cool. Very Insecticon-like.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Nice! I've been wondering when someone would do this!

I've had a very similar project on the go for quite a while now, inspired by the very insect-like bot mode of many Bayformers designs. I've kind of toyed with some of the same molds you've used here, and will likely do a Bombshell out of Stockade as well (HFTD Brawn was also a contender). I felt like Jolt should have been Shrapnel from the first time I saw him!

It's a limitation of the paint of course, but I do find that the bold colour here tends to simplify the forms of the movie designs too much, rather than emphasize the tiny details that make them what they are. It doesn't help much now, but I probably would have gone with a gold flake paint for the windows, just to keep the palette less saturated.

zmog

11. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Dude....Bravo! They came out spectacular!

12. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nicely done. Did you purposely leave them monotone in color? Normally movie-verse figure have a certain depth to them. Never the less, very cool concept and look.

13. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    :thumb :bay 

These are great customs! Nice work!

14. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

These are cool! They do have a nice G1 Insecticon feel to have nothing to do with insects.

15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a first set of customs they came out great! The molds painted that way reallly do evoke the intent you aimed for. *thumbs up*

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Very good for a first time out. You can definitely see the 'thickness' on Shrapnel, but he still looks great with the group. I agree, Kickback is the best one done out of all three. Sorry to hear about the paints not working out--those yellows and purples were excellent choices in terms of actual color!

Definitely an awesome trio. :) 

17. Robot.MacGyver

Robot.MacGyver Improvisational Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Geeenious idea & great paint.
    Love em' to pieces.

I'm kinda echoing the idea on the yellow tough.
    Some orange hue's (drybrushing) to bring about a hint of gold.
    But how much awesome can fit on one figure though?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  18. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Aww, damn, I was gonna do that!

19. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    woah, nice to see a rotf jolt custom, i love the mold
    i mean its one of the best deluxes of the rotf and movie line
    and it fits the insecticon theme really well
    and sideways too, looks amazing
    but gears as bombshell i dont know, i would have prefered deluxe ironhide (hunt for the decepticons) but still nice job
    XP

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I reckon the flat colours suit these guys really well. Floating Cat, You've done a sweet-ass job with the mold choices & the colour schemes - Nice work Mate! :thumb