Movie Flaws

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by The Demolisher, Jul 3, 2007.

1. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

I'm getter rather tired of "This movie Exceeded my Expectations!" every second post. The reason I dislike the positivity over the movie isn't because I hate people liking things or having opinions differing to mine, which is absurd. The positivity just seems so utterly fake by me.

The fact is that there are some notable flaws in the movie that are flaws no matter what; no matter how "fun" the movie is, they won't be fixed. This is why I am so annoyed - not only do the apologists not accept some of these flaws, they also attack others who point them out.

What REALLY gets my goat is when people say the only flaw they really had was Prime's faceplate or one other thing that fans were actually united against that blatantly should never have made it into the movie. This talk is really pissing me off, because there are some blatant things wrong with it that could spoil the movie for anyone with real expectations.

I am not challenging your right to like what is obviously a somewhat decent movie. I am merely pointing out how unlikely it is, as a Transformers fan, that it's quite so amazing as the consensus here makes it out to be, and people are most likely exagerrating how they feel. All these flaws stand whether you have seen the movie or not - telling someone to see it will not solve these flaws.

Some definitive flaws in Transformers the movie:

1) Lack of plot.

Alright, so you say it's a popcorn movie so it doesn't need to have a plot. I call bullshit on that - why? Source material. It it was some quirky action movie that came out of left field, then it'd be fine. But the fact is even your average episode of the G1 cartoon had more going on, plotwise, especially plotwise revolving around the robots, than the movie does.

There is so much from the comic books, especially, to be covered, that having not very much in the first movie seems like a waste. It's not as if they spend the whole thing dealing with the TFs arriving and adapting to earth either - it "does" have a plot, it's just not a very good one.

2) Lack of Character.

Ironhide and Ratchet have almost the same voice. Jazz gets about 2 lines. The Decepticons are barely characters. That's really quite atrocious. A lot of people seem to think the humans' acting is poor, too. Again, see 1) For why "THIS IS AN ACTION MOVIE" isn't a fair counter.

But with Jazz and the Decepticons, it is undoubtedly a point you have to concede.

3) The Designs (and Source Material).

People aren't going to consider this a no-brainer point - but I'll shed some light on why it is for you.

If the movie HAD used more G1-inspired designs, would a larger portion of fans and joe moviegoer who remembers the origina comics/cartoon be more pleased? Almost definitely, you can't deny this.
    The characters didn't NEED overhauls since they'd look different being made into live action. You can't say we've already seen too much of Ironhide and Ratchet when we've never seen high-detail versions of Ironhide and Ratchet.

It WOULD have been better for everyone if they were updated versions of their G1 selves as Jazz and to some extent Prime was. I know a lot of people are going to claim they wanted new designs - but why can't these have been new characters? It's further than name re-use - they also have the same roles and context, implying they're the same character.

Like it or not, this is based on G1. The fact that there are other "Generations" does not change the fact that G1 "Is" Transformers in the eyes of the mainstream, it is the original and best recognised, and best developed(through comics, hundreds off issues to draw material from). It would be madness to base something off much less popular series such as RiD or Energon. When you're making a movie OF something, it's meant to be OF that thing, not making a new thing in the general gist of the source material. This is perhaps the only fanbase I've encountered that things deviating from source material is a good thing. New cartoons and comics are the place for evolution. You are not going to see genius new ideas from Hollywood execs these days. This movie is a mish mash between the G1 cartoon, Bionicles, and a Michael Bay film.

So, the fact that they could have pleased more people by improving recognisability and did not, counts as a flaw.

4) Human Emphasis.

I'm sorry, but people aren't quite so bad as they can't relate to human shaped robots as characters like they did in the less progressive 80s. There is no need for the sheer amount of human stories in a movie that's

This has to be the biggest thing that drives me mad when people claim the movie exceeded their expectations. How could this be even better than what you had envisioned for a Transformers movie if it so often sidelines the Transformers themselves?

If someone even dares post something as stupid as a Dead Horse emoticon again, I'm going to go nuts.

2. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

:horse: 

3. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

So, you don't mind people having opinions, but you think that anyone with a positive outlook is "fake"?

Your opinions are valid and well thought out. Your feelings about the movie are justified.

Now, please have the courtesy to allow other people the right to have their own opinions, however they come by them, without resorting to accusations of fakery. That's just unpleasant.

4. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    It's just a movie.........

5. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can we get this closed please mods? This guy does nothing but cause trouble.

6. Seabringer

Seabringer D34dp00l's H34dm4st3r

I agree with the above poster on the things he pointed out.

I dont think the move was super awesome like every other blind-following transformers fan out there. I love the Transformers, but this was a B movie. I think it is worse for people who actually like Transformers rather than non-transfans.

Please stop crying to mods because someone raises valid points that is going to get your fanboy shorts in a ruffle. I would like to second every point the poster made. They are all valid points.

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Hello Scraggin!!

9. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    This movie has exceeded my expectations!

10. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

(double Post)

11. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Can you PLEASE read a post before replying to it?

It is not automatically wrong to criticise other people's opinions. People are not free animals that think up all their own views. Your comment is based on an simplistic view of courtesy (and almost laughable lack of psychological knowledge) that most of the people I'm directing this as don't even have.

I was pointing out things that are inherent flaws to the idea of a "Good Transformers Movie". The fact that these are presant DOES cast shades of doubt on whether people are telling the truth when they say it exceeded their expectations. You ignore this and stick to the ridiculous idea that criticising others' ideas and tastes are always wrong. That doesn't, of course, include the "Hater" bashing that's been going on, since first of all I'm not bashing and secondly I have pointed out definitive flaws.

Not to mention, where are you when people are bashing the haters? You don't give a toss. It's only when someone with a differing opinion challenges someone else that you care, and it's blatant.

This is about the furthest thing from trolling possible - nobody takes that long to write a lengthy post for trolling's sake - why else would people call it so unless I was saying something they didn't want to hear?

What if I was right, and people had been consumed by the hype, damaging the fanbase? Nobody would ever listen - topics would be locked and points ignored. You are completely discounting a very real possibility purely because of your simple morals and the fact that you don't want to hear it.

12. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    No, you have pointed out subjective flaws. Nothing you listed, is a flaw in my book.

13. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I hated the fact that we didnt get to see the fight between bumblebee and barricade. i hate that we dont even know what happened to barricade. I dont like that it seemed whoever was holding the camera during the fights was going through a seizure.

dont get me wrong. great fun movie, but it was a movie with a lot of flaws. and no amount of nostalgia. or whatever is going to get me to like this movie more then i did.

the plot was decent. it made sense. it didnt need to be overly complicated.

on a scale from 1 to 5. i give it a 3 and a half.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Guys, knock it off. You all are ruining my BotCon high. I'm not ready for that yet. ;) 

15. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

I've seen the movie. liked it, but wasnt wowed by it. there were a lot of flaws. ive stated them in other threads.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I request this thread be closed as these things should be in the sticky movie disscussion thread (presuming the author has seen the film) and it's a blatant flame against those with a differing opinion to the person who started it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  17. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Why are you so eager to attack?
    I asked for courtesy, and got "laughable", "simplistic", and "ridiculous".
    I said your points are valid and justified. There's no reason to keep up the assault.

I never said I was unbiased. I have my own opinions. I state them civilly and politely, in the hopes of an informed discourse.

18. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

ugh whats up with the edit feature? anyways. i saw the movie twice now. saw it with by myself and with the girlfriend. still have the same opinion of it. it was a decent flick. but the extreme close ups. and the fact that it seemed like the army guys were better at taking out the cons then the autobots made me not like the flick as much.

19. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

I was kind of thinking you were an intelligent person, until you just threw caustion to the wind and snuck in a G1 argument.

Ugh.

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yes this was a very flawed movie. It was very fun also.

My complaints;

I'd prefer them keeping the story about Energon/natural resources rather than the Allspark/the Key to Vector Sigma.

ZERO character development for anyone except Sam. He is the star of the Transformers not the Transformers.

Blurry cameras not just for fight scenes, but also in the Transformers movements themselves.

Way too much comedy, the scene at Sam's house lasted far too long, Bumblebee pissed on a guy! I was expecting Ironhide to have an energon fart at one point.

Robots appearing and disappearing at random. I can understand now why it took Optimus so long to return to the battle if he killing Barricade, but editing that out was a huge mistake.

This film was more about humans than transformers, but this is a complain I have about many films. The scenes that show random people and their 'reactions' to the events.

Frenzy...how come he can killed like three highly trained secret service agents, but he cannot take out an old man, mulder wannabe, a fat man, and a hot aussie? This is an example of movie logic at its finest.

Honestly, I loved the last hour of the movie, but could have done without the first hour.

However, MB was the only person who could have directed this movie given the scale of military involvement, and he did a fairly decent job I thought.