"MOVIE EXPERTS" dislike the cybertronians?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by shroobmaster, Aug 3, 2009.

1. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You see guys, today, when reading some critics of the movie we noticed a weird factor, many of the writers ridiculed the mechanical beings, calling the transformers stupid cartoon characters, in fact, many of 'em seem to think that anything that isn't random decepticons getting killed by USA army is waste of CGI effects and fault the movie for it.

Don't you guys find it weird? I mean, the movie is called TRANSFORMERS, the transformers are the focus of the movie, yet some, particularly female and old reviewers think they're a distraction from the "real plot", maybe some of 'em just need to, as our good friend hedgey would've said, "learn 'em some transformers" and find the purpose of the franchise?

Thoughts?

2. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    They got set in front of the 80's animated film, perhaps?

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it's just these people have been so heavily indoctrinated into the Hollywood mindset that the humans are always the stars front and centre and anything else in the movie that's CGI is just there to support the human actors and human stories.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

In a movie that contrasts CGI robots with actual humans, it is only natural that critics and general audience would see/reviewharacters human acting/c as the focus of the film. To the critics and lay-persons, the Transformers are the gimmick that gets people into the stadium, but is the human characters that support the film. The Transformers are the bulls, but the humans are the matadors. But we're transformers fans and post here, so we don't understand that point of view.

Frankly, I don't see whats so weird about that. It's what we've come to expect from summer blockbusters with CGI. And you're kinda wrong Shroobmaster, the Transformers aren't the focus of the films. Shia Lebouef is the focus, and the Transformers only support his character story.

5. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I thought about that too smkspy, but then, did the alien in E.T. get bashed as a gimmick? Or are their beef only with CGI characters that are so humanized that they could basically make any human in it useless?

6. smkspy

Extreme example is extreme. Comparing E.T, a puppet character that the actors actually interacted with, to CGI Transformers is rather silly.

Look at the Star Wars prequels. They've been bashed about their over-reliance on all things CGI...and with good reason. I think any movie that relies on CGI to the extent of the Transformers, G.I. Joe, Van Helsing, and the SW Prequels is going to receive criticisms. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

7. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    My bad, maybe King Kong would be a better example.

But even then I don't think the robot action would be taken much better if they where giantic on-set mechatronic puppets, it just seems that they're going to a movie without know what to expect, I mean if Transformers was all about humans fighting a invading alien race I would get their beef but anyone that read at least one summary about any past of the franchise should know that they are in fact supposed to showcase the alliance of the humans and the robots, it is but I don't think it should be that one-sided on their eyes.

Oh well, I guess we can't really do much about it, just hope the producers ignore those critics and keep doing it the "Hasbro demanded" way

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It makes me wonder if the same thing would've happened if those live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies had used CGI for the Turtles instead of people in costumes (ignoring the fact that such CGI technology wasn't available back then). I guess we'll never find out now since the franchise has moved to all-CGI. Would the TF be treated and perceived differently if they had their own all-CGI big screen movie?
    Of course, if the live-action Turtles movies had been made today and the Turtles had been CGI, would they have been so relegated to the background in favour of the human characters like has seemed to be with Transformers? Could we have seen a movie where April and Casey and the Shredder were firmly the main stars and the Turtles just tottered about in the background and occasionally got a little spotlight? Just wondered.

9. smkspy

I think there were several complaints about the CGI for King Kong too. However, people don't research things before going to a movie...at least the vast majority don't. They saw the trailers, thought "Cool, Transformers is coming. I vaguely remember them from my childhood/my kid's childhood, and I can't wait to see it", and then watched the movie. Some expanded their knowledge, but the vast majority just moved on to the next movie.

I think the solution is an animated movie next year. A story that pretty much focuses on the Transformers and their mythology and rich history. It's obvious people want to watch the Transformers, but we need people to see them as something more than the gimmick of "Giant transforming robots that smash each other."

10. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

Wait, I'm sorry. Is the premise of this topic that the transformers were anything other than props?
    This movie is the Shia and Megan show, directed by Michael Bay. Sure, there are CG robots in it, but more often than not, the robots show no emotional motivation except as talking tools of destruction. When they do show life or emotion, it is silly things like Bumblebee "crying", the twins cursing and being clowns, or megatron and his cronies trying to do their best impressions of the standard mustache twirling bad guy.

Some things that might have been good to add would be:
    - show the autobots (or decepticons) losing faith in their cause
    - ironhide and any of the other military characters having a conversation about losing friends in war
    - show starscream or some other decpticon exhibiting more that just a slapstick style hate towards megatron

I respect the fact that many people viewed this as an action movie, and nothing more, and therefor low expectations for the dialog and characterization are justified, but don't be surprised that critics, who's job it is to be critical of a movie regardless of the context of "action" or "drama", are going to crticise (SP) it on those levels.

11. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

Critics did not hate the robots in the first TF movie. They hated it now because most of them lack character.

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Nope.

The problem is that when they try not to be just that, people seems to fault it as if a transformer in a transformers movie is a problem and "distracts" from the plot or something when they pretty much are the whole plot, take 'em off and what do you have?

13. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    First movie had less character. Fact. The only thing it had for it was that they had less guys to get ripped for not showing personality, but in this one, they ones that spoke had much more to offer.

14. roy_flagg00

I have to disagree. Only Optimus was interesting when he spoke. The rest belonged in a cartoon.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Just like the first, except this time as I said they had more for everybody.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I thought Megatron and Starscream delivered their lines quite well, not too cartoony, but just enough so the Gee-whiners get their fill of G1 goodness.

The movie got bashed this time because it was trying to live up to the first movie's expectations with a bigger and better, more explosive movie. This detracted from the robot's characterization which is what critics want.

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Well said.

18. Mr knightmare

Mr knightmare Banned

News Credits:
    Well they probably wanted some stupid "group of humans trying to survise the war betwen robots that don't talk and all look the same" insted of "AUTOBOTS AND DECEPTICONS BLOWING SH*T UP WHILE HUMANS RUN AROND SREAMING!!! FU*K YEAH!!!!!"

The movie universe is kind of a mix of those two but it kind of more leans to the first part....

19. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Another winner of this thread

This is why Animated and Beast Wars are praised. A small cast of 5-7 Cybertronians on both sides of the conflict can have equal amount of spotlight to display their character while a big cast of characters can have less development.

The first movie had that to some degree.

This one had forty characters and only six had any developement (OP,BB,Twins,Jetfire,Starscream).

20. roy_flagg00

The true irony is that the cartoony nature of the dialog is what makes this movie more like G1 than the first. I was hoping to get something better than G1.