Movie DVD Now at #2 Sales/Rentals, Comparison with Spidey 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    http://www.allthingshidef.com/ME2/d...0&tier=3&nid=940ACEA32171497C8F36B94A2321D89C

As most figured, Spiderman 3 took over the top spot on both the DVD sales and rental charts. Transformers remained #1 on the HD-DVD charts.

An interesting note is that rentals still brought in a revenue of $7 million, which is just a 18% drop from last week.

Meanwhile...
    http://www.dvdtown.com/news/spider-man-3-sells-good-on-dvd-and-blu-ray/4903

In comparing the first week sales, looks like Transformers scores a victory.

Spiderman DVD - Between 4 and 5 million
    Transformers DVD - 8.3 Million

Spiderman Blu-Ray - 130,000
    Transformers HD-DVD - 190,000 (number contested)

2. SiamGXPrime

SiamGXPrime Well-Known Member

spin spin spin, i just want my TF on blu-ray

3. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Sooooooo TF kicked Spidey 3's ass? By nearly a two to one margin? Holee crap.

4. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ARGH! Those paramount numbers are SHIPPED, not sold to consumers (go check out the neilson sales figures to see for yourself). The Sony numbers look to be sold to consumers as Sony claims they shipped 400k blu-ray copies.

5. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

yea but then again spiderman 3 made more money at the box office so this more or less a balancing act here. but either way, both movies made a hell of alot of money

6. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    sony fanboyism/TF movie haterism? take your pick. So convienent that someone would say sony gave sold to consumer data and paramount gave sold to dealer numbers. Regardless what the haters think sony can only make estimates on how many were sold to consumers. But I'm sure someone will pop on here and say sony contacted the 10,000 or so dealers in the US so they know exactly how many sold.....right. TF will out sell on DVD's probebly HD and they have crushed Spiderman 3 toys already.

7. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

transformers was a better movie is all. spiderman 3 was a chick flick. the only reason it did better box office-wise is because it was riding off the coat-tails of 2 good movies.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm curious to see where Shrek 3 and Pirates 3 come in when they hit shelves. My target got nearly 900 copies of Shrek in advance, and that's a pretty freaking massive quantity.

9. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I support both Sony and the TF Movie (I want both to do well), but lies and deceit are just that. My point is we are not comparing apples to apples, i.e. shipped versus shipped or sold vs sold. If you want to go the shipped route, then spiderman 3 trounced transformers, if you go the sold route, then not so much. Sure, but studios make estimates, but keep this in mind too: it took sony 4 or 5 days to get its estimates, while paramount put out its estimates in less than a day. But alas, if you don't care to look into this yourself, there's no point in me giving you more and more details.

10. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Views from retailers, everyone take as you will:
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6497148.html

11. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Transformers was BETTER than Spider-man 3!!! It didn't try to include 4 separate plots and fudge each and every one of them!

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Blu-Ray or not I'm not getting Spidey-3 tough I do have multiple copies of Transformers. :lol 

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Now I don't feel as big of a dork for some reason.

That , or they're all just trying to be cool like us

srcsm

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Paramount is still touting that 190 thousand number? That figure has been pretty widely disputed as being closer to 115 thousand according to sale tracking outside the studio.

15. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You mean thousand, not million. If paramount sold 115 MILLION hd-dvds of that movie, there would be no more format war.

Either way, I enjoyed both movies and do feel that transformers was much more enjoyable than spiderman 3.

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

This movie is a failure and has ruined Transformers forever.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Oops, yeah I did. Fixed. :lol 

18. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't need numbers from retailers, or the studios, or some ratings company to know which movie sold better. It's kinda obvious.

Walmart(right next door to my work) usually gets a floor display for big movies like this, and it's packed full at first, and usually slowly dwindles and then they pull the display a week later and replace it with the next one.

The TF display was almost empty the day after it came out. The spiderman 3 display is still half full.

Then if I simply speak with people I know, out of the 5 friends of mine that I know went and bought the TF dvd the day it came out, I know none of them have purchased spiderman 3 yet. Most of them own spiderman 1 and 2, and I know they saw all 3 spiderman movies in the theater.

Seeing as I'm an equal-oppourtunity asshole, and hate everyone just the same, my friends are all from pretty diverse backgrounds, ethnically, education, employment, and even age.

So based on my own reasonably decent observations, TF whooped spiderman for DVD sales.

19. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I'm just happy that it was such a commercial success that we are getting sequels and a bigger budget to go with them.

20. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You shut your dirty whore mouth, Black Belt Jones...

oh god, if my father and uncle ever saw your sig pic... Jim Kelly is like the Anti-Christ to them...