Movie Devastator & Fortress Maximus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, Feb 4, 2009.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking about the new movie devastator thats going to be released. I read that he is going to be 2 feet tall combined...
    I was wondering how something like that can be released but not a reissue Fortress Maximus.. I would think Devastator would break more then fort max in the so called drop test that it cant pass in order to be released.. They cant use the Prices excuse because i would think Fort Max would be the same price as the 100$ price tag on Devaststor. Unless maybe they will be releasing the set in a huge box with everyone in vehicle modes..
    I still hope that Fort Max will get his reissue by Hasbro in G1 colors, but i think Takara will be the one to release it as an encore if he ever does get a reissue then the shipping will pretty much put a stop to me being able to order one lol..

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I think it has to do with how Devs will be made up of 7 figures, while Fort Max is just one whole figure. They could engineer Devs in a way that he won't break when dropped, but will come apart instead. Simple fact is that the Fort Max mold has slim to no chance of ever being released here in the US again. Depending on how easy he breaks, some retools and updating could help, but it's hard to say if it would make him safe enough to pass the drop test. Fort Max is an old mold that wasn't meant to pass toy safety laws made well after it's creation, while the Devs mold will.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I think Raven's on the right track.

And plus, all the individual figures comply, so I can't see how by combining (and not altering anything structurally within each figure) they would suddenly not comply.

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    The "drop test" may be entirely different for Devastator. I don't know exactly what the regulations say, but perhaps since they're separate figures, they only have to ensure that each figure passes a safety test. When combined (as Ravenxl7 said) they'll merely break apart.

As for price, even if Hasbro were to reissue Fort Max, I can only imagine that the price would be substantially more than for Devastator. They definitely wouldn't expect to sell as many because Fort Max wouldn't have a huge commercial in the form of a film to sell it to younger buyers.

Anyhow, I'm still hoping that Takara reissues an Encore version. I don't know if they would, though, as Metroplex and Omega Supreme seem to be still readily available. (Does anyone know the production numbers on these?) If a Fort Max was produced, I'd expect them to do a limited run which would mean a higher price. (Perhaps something like the Predaking reissue a few years ago or even the Sixshot.) I don't see them selling for less than $300 as they would need to make up for a smaller production line. If they have the mold and it's viable (which it should be from Brave Max) then I don't see why they wouldn't at some point. It may not sell in huge numbers, but there are enough of us out there to make it worth their time.

5. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Does anybody have a picture of this 2-foot tall Metroplex? I've never seen it.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ummm...do you mean Devs? or fort Max? We've only seen one of the seven bots that'll make up Devs so far, and really have no idea what he'll look like.

7. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fortress Maximus (1987) - Autobot Headmaster Leader - www.tfu.info
    Yeah transformers go up those ramps and in the "garages", TRANSFORMERS!!!! This thing is huge.
    OH and thanks for stealing my sig :thumb  (just messing with you you can use it)

8. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Alright. Speaking of Devs, any idea when we'll get pics of his toy?

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Raven's definitely on the right track. Also, one thing I'd like to add, back when Fort Max was being talked about (during RID) Hasbro did say something about looking into doing some retooling to allow him to pass and they said that it would require so much so to be cost prohibitive. They had also looked into releasing a repainted Metroplex as RID Fortress Maximus, but that they couldn't do him either for similar reasons.

I guess if one wants a Fortress Maximus at this point you either have to shell out some money or pray that Takara finds a reissue viable. Frankly, I've owned the Car Robots version and I wasn't impressed with the toy... it's only claim to fame is being as big as it is... otherwise it's really a rather mediocre toy for the price you'd pay for it.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    We have absolutely no idea. We could get some in a couple weeks during the New York Toy Fair, or it could be a couple of months. Hopefully we'll get to see pictures of him after the NY Toy Fair. We actually got to see a lot of stuff at last years.

11. megatronkicksas

News Credits:
    Hell it could even be TFcon.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, but if you remember back in '07 they kept everything hardcore under wraps becuase the movie wasn't out yet. The only things I remember being readily available during the last Toyfair before the first movie were Leader Class Prime and Ultimate Bumblebee. I actually expect to see more at Botcon then Toyfair because Botcon will be after the movie release this year I believe.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That's another possibility. When is it?

14. megatronkicksas

News Credits:
    Like April 25 and 26 or something. In other words it's faraway.

15. Spyro

Spyro Banned

I almost forgot about the NY Toyfair. Too bad this guy is $100, though. That creates some major money conflicts for me.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, I can definitely see Hasbro showing off a decent amount of stuff then. Though I think we'll see Devs by that point. While we didn't get much from 2007's Toy Fair, I won't be surprised if we get to see more from this years. Maybe not as much as we saw from last years, but I think we'll at least get to see a decent amount of the first wave. Leader Prime, Ultimate Bumblebee, and the Bumblebee mask will most likely be shown, along with the preview figures, and hopefully more. Though we'll just have to wait and see. I also hope we get some official pictures too, like last years.

17. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    when is the NY toyfair?

18. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    i think 100 dollars is a fair price for a box set of a couple voyagers and deluxes. i hope devastator warms the shelves so i can get my hands on one :) 

-rikkuluverx2

19. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    100 bucks is extremely fair price. especially with inflation happening.

do the math 4 voyagers at $20 each is $80

2 deluxes at 10 each is 20

put them together and u have a 100!

thats good considering deluxes are now getting to be 13 and voyagers 22

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    About 1-1/2 to 2 weeks from now. Not too far off, but it's still going to feel like an eternity till it actually starts.