Movie Decepticons - less weak, more incompetent?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by General Magnus, Sep 16, 2010.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I was thinking about the movie Decepticons and I realized that I think that they aren´t weak, but rather incompetent. Why? Let´s take a look.

They have the capabilities to infiltrate out society via vehicles and pretenders, here they have an extreme potential of seeding chaos (ok I´m ignoring the scans of the second movie, but I´m aiming at a RL invasion scenario). They also have showed the ability to disrupt communications and computers. Modern militaries are heavily dependent on communications and electronics.

Imagine this: they could hack the USA military communications and shut it down, or they could hack the missiles silos and either detonate the nukes or launch them, like Skynet did. After that they would simply move in and kill whatever was left.

I think Bay´s Decepticons are more incompetent than weak, since they have the mean and technology that if used in a good way, could bring Earth to it´s knees.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    For all we know, some of that probably happens in TF3

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I think the indications we've received from Di Buonaventura that this large character spotted in Detroit is the instigator of "chaos on earth" would suggest at least a similar vein in the writing. I think we can expect something fairly cool.

On the other hand, I hope/believe they will go back to some of what we had in the first movie in terms of their strength. Decepticons that are formidable and fearsome and do some serious damage, i.e. when Starscream maims Bumblebee, shoots down a couple of F22s, or Megatron totally bitching Optimus around like a ragdoll.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'd say they're incompetent alright. They can hack into military communications and so forth, but they can't create an ebay account to buy the glasses?

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    If I was Barricade, I sure as hell won't wait for Witwicky to package it up and then be disappointed once the the USPS either delivers it late or loses it.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Movie Deceptiocns are far from weak.

Incompetant? Hell yes. Decepticons have always been incompetant fools.

7. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Movie Decepticons are underused in every sense of the word

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Agreed.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Both.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd say there is a good deal of incompetent. Mess with the GPS network and the military would be hitting the wrong targets and jets would be flying off to the wrong places. Somehow in Revenge of the Fallen Starscream couldn't hit Skids or Mudflap when he had the drop on them. Somehow the whole concept of air support also seems to gone out of the Decepticon battle plans after just one film.

But there is also ton of just out and out weakness on the part of the Decepticons. For all his size Devastator can't really do any damage to the Twins with his Hoover Vac of Doom and ends up taking more damage than he gave out. Even the humans now have hand held devices to let them track Decepticons. Sideways doesn't put up a fight but just seems to be there for an Autobot to look cool killing him. Ravage can't infiltrate the human base himself so he has to use Reedman who is not seen again. The only thing Ravage really does in Egypt is to be there because Bumblebee needs to up his body count.

Even with a fair bit of incompetence you'd still expect the Decepticons to put up more of a fight so it has to be they are just so insanely weak. Unless they just happen to land on top of your aircraft carrier, catch some nameless extra off guard, or get credit for taking someone out in the DVD commentary the Decepticons just aren't doing much. Ripping the flag off the top of a bridge just isn't cutting it as great movie villains.

11. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Or even, when Sam makes up an excuse about a death in the family in order to delay shipping...or uses a lack of packing and the glasses wind up shattered. Feedback? HUR HUR HUR

12. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Its not that they are weak... Just the plans they make suck.... Putting their trust in to one transformer.
    1st Movie - Put their trust in Megatron to kill off the bots but that fails.
    2nd Movie - Put their trust in the Fallen to kill of the bots but that fails.
    3rd Movie - I bet they will think Shockwave can kill off the bots but he will fail as well.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

And what sucks is that the Decepticons can never really claim a victory in these movies. I would've loved it if ROTF ended with some form of triumph for Megatron and Co. I know that the Autobots have to win eventually, but damn.

14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I want is the decepticons to kill more than one autobot in the next movie.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same. Either Ratchet or Ironhide should die for suitable dramatic effect.

16. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah becasue in the next movie there is like 10 Autobots.

17. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So many things are beyond common sense. I think the reason Decepticons are portrayed as weak is to support the Autobot = America metaphor.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The characters were concieved in a more innocent time when the world really could distinguish between good guys and bad guys; the USSR was constantly reinforcing its negative image, giving itself over to the bad guy role which was the perfect foil for the good ol' USA. You have to remember that when the story was written, it was ok for Optimus Prime to be a cowboy, for Hound to be a compassionate US soldier, for Ironhide to be a gruff southern tough guy - those were the good guys, and few people disagreed with that notion. Not just in their own eyes, but in the eyes of the world.

These days those images have lost their luster and given way to a more revisionistic, apologetic self-image, where guilty people think cowboys just killed native americans, US soldiers just water board people, and gruff southern guys are klansmen. I do believe the Autobots have always represented heroic American archetypes, but as we continue to associate what was once heroic with the tainted versions of the same things, it seems more and more inappropriate.

So if the good-guy Autobots are still the US, what are the decepticons? I guess that's the question I was mulling over.

19. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

Deceptiocons should win, the triology ends, and always a happy end is kinda lame.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it has more to do with films have been dumbed down and they are now more about how does it do in focus testing instead of how does it stand up as art.

There was a time in American film where the audience was sophisticated enough to deal with a concept like the good guys don't always win. Sometime films would end on a bad note. Kong dies, Scarlett is left by Rhett, Luke has lost a hand and Han has been captured by the bounty hunter.

Now it seems like American films have to spoon feed you the idea that no matter what the good guys will always win. It's getting rare to even find films where it seem like the bad guys even have a legitimate shot at whatever their evil plan was.

Just seems like films are so worried about giving people that happy ending every single time that story telling has really suffered.