Movie Awards questions

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is movie award season and yet again i feel outrage.
    none of it seems fair.
    so i am asking if someone can make appear fair to me.

MILK has been out 24.5 seconds and has already been named best film of the year by at least one critics' group.
    how is that possible?

"....Benjamin Button" isn't out yet and getting blinged. how?

I honestly cannot understand studios who release a movie in 2-3 theaters a week before the Golden Globes and then walk home with several trophies.

it isn't fair. doesn't sound, seem, feel or even pretends to be fair.

it all appears that studios see a loophole and exploit it.

if i make a movie and show it to just my parents (officially counts as a release, right?) i should get Oscars for it.
    no.
    no.
    no.
    how can a movie be judged a critical triumph when no one has seen it?

2. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because it probably only counts if critics like it.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Why should you or any of us care? Its not like whether a movie wins a few awards your opinion (or anyone elses for that matter) will change about that movie.

Besides, the major awards are issued by critics and insiders within the biz. They view these films way ahead of us commonfolk. This is the way things work, they have the GGs and Oscars while we got People's Choice and MTV. Besides, awards are nothing but these people patting themselves on the back.

I sometimes have the question the validity of the shit that recieves "ourage". Outrage should be reserved for more important things like violations of human and civil rights, etc...not movies, media stars and entertainment.

4. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    Depending on who is going to present and what is nominated I may or may not watch the Golden Globes OR the Oscars. I'm still pissed that Transformers did not win for Best Visual Effects last time.stupid f*** compass movie...

But then again the Oscars may not happen because the Screen Actors Guild strike vote is next month. We're going through the worst financial crisis in a long time and these people want more money! They should use there F***ing heads!

Sorry about the rant, I'm not in a good mood right now. :( 

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Because it's about the politics behind the movie, who knows who, etc. rather than the actual movie. Hence why I stopped caring in like.. fifth grade.

6. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Um, so?!

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Because "no one" hasn't seen. The people who vote for these awards HAVE seen them. Movies get pre-releases an early screenings all the time in La-La Land, especially for expected awards contenders. You may only now be hearing about Milk, but the odds are good that the relevent voters saw it weeks ago.

The rules for these awards are pretty straightforward and a quick google search should yield the details you seek.

The awards you are likely interested in would be the People's Choice Awards, which are determined by popular vote of "common folk."

As for your home movie, it can only get Oscars if your folks are in the Academy, or know someone who is (my friend, who is not an Academy member, did help fill out someone's Grammy ballot in 1994 because the member didn't know enough about some categories).

8. misterd

Shakespeare in Love I can explain. Gladiator I can explain. Golden Compass still eludes me.

Yeah, they should let the corporate executives keep the money until the fiscal crisis is over. Since Tom Cruise is an actor, and he's rich, all actors must be rich too and not in need of more compensation for their work.

9. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    until last year, I withheld that the Oscars were the only remaining fair competition for any sort of american media. then Golden Compass took the Oscar for visual effects. there are a a lot of people still waiting for an explanation on that one.

10. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will remind you of this when you open your happy meal and are pissed that they messed up your order.

And there are times when we should be outraged at the media.
    but i am not here to rant about that.

i just want to know how a movie can open on a Friday, but the Tuesday before it is released, it already has awards in its pocket.

tell ya what....
    tomorrow morning, I am gonna give Phelps all the gold he can carry for the 2012 Olympics... well, he did so well this year and all.

see the point? these awards are given before the competition was allowed to begin.

peace and carrots

11. smkspy

Well, you are comparing apples and oranges my friend. I may complain about my happy meal order made wrong, but that is because I'm paying for a service in which a specific product comes to me packaged in a specific way. You don't buy most movies for their awarding winning status so their is no real reason to get worked up over whether they win awards or not. (Transformers was different because it was snubbed).

And as I and many other have said, those that vote on the Oscars have seen the films in advance. There are rules for the entire affair. Though I do agree with you, most performances that do win awards are not seen by the majority of the movie goers. This is often the case and the award shows like the GG and the Oscars are vehicles to generate publicity for these underpromoted performances. Now when a film like TDK makes so much money domestically, I believe that it is a vivable candidate for best film. Like Titanic, you just can't ignore the numbers in this case. For it not to recieve a best picture nomination there is certainly cause for grumbling if that happens.

And your Michael Phelps analogy makes no sense. Now if you gymnastics, that might have worked better because like movie awards they are both judged competitions.

12. misterd

One more time...

The people who have voted HAVE seen the movie. Have you never noticed that movies often get reviews BEFORE they are actually released? Ever wonder how that is done? Hint: It has nothing to do with crystal balls.

13. misterd

One thing to consider is that often the movie that wins is the one that is the least disliked. A film such a Pulp Fiction may have been well made, but its violence and language turned off many voters, especially older voters (which is what constitutes a majority of the Academy).

Titanic is different than The Dark Knight in that it appealed both to a young crowd and an old crowd. It was very much in the style of the old "event" films that used to win Best Picture all the time. TDK is comparatively more "edgy" and more likely to appeal to young viewers than older ones.

The thing with Transformers vs Golden Compass is that the effects awards are voted on by the people in the effects industry - not the writers, actors, directors, etc. It may be that they were looking at something different than we were (such as the fact that organic creatures are far harder to do than mechanical ones), or could it be something political? I think that there were more effects houses that worked on TGC than on Transformers and Pirates, and you have to figure that people are more likely to vote for the film they worked on.

14. smkspy

I can see where you're coming form with least the whole least disliked aspect, but the rest is iffy logic.
    Many pictures like Platoon, The Departed, and No Country for Old Men are extremely violent and such yet won. The simple fact is that none of ever can really understand what goes on in the minds of the Academy voters much like the Ratings Board.

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    They ARE using their f-ing heads. They're getting screwed out of money they have a legal right to because their work is being distributed without proper compensation by these studios via the web, on-demand services, and other digital media (DVD, Blu-Ray).

That's just one issue on the table in the upcoming SAG vote.

But misterd already responded to this so eloquently, unless you completely miss the sarcastic tone of his reply:

As for the actual topic, this sort of practice is fairly common for studios -- they often save the films they know will get more critical acclaim for release during the holiday season. It serves a dual purpose: they get a bump at the box office, and it gets their award contenders in before the deadline at puts them at the forefront for nominations.

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

This especially the last part

17. misterd

Platoon came at a cathartic point in people reexamining the Vietnam era, while Departed and No Country won a decade after Pulp Fiction - the new old crowd is different from the old old crowd. That is, the Academy itself is changing, as those who come from the studio era of the 30s-50s are dying off, and those from the post-Midnight Cowboy era are more prominant.

And these issue are mostly border line, having an impact only when there is a close horse race. One of the things people often overlook is the fact that we never see the vote totals, so we don't know if Crash and No Country won overwhelmingly, or squeaked through (though given the nominees the past 2 years, I'm guessing both were squeakers). Schindler's List and Titanic were likely landslides, while Shakespeare in Love is almost certainly slipped through, perhaps because Private Ryan split some of its vote with Thin Red Line.

18. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I give as much credence to a critic's snippet on a movie trailer as i value my neighbor's dog's views on Freud.
    Those snippets have to be put into context. like, reading the whole review.

"....Greatest film of 2008."
    now, let's read the lines before it:

"After my LSD bender, and all i got to see was "Bangkok Dangerous", this has to be the greatest film of 2008."

I still think that movies that come out less than 2 weeks before the Golden Globes shouldn't be eligible, and the tactic itself is cheap and shallow.

I have done, and do my part for human/civil rights.
    and after that, i am easily outraged by anything that seems underhanded or unfair.

You have to choose your battles. You get outraged at the wrong people, you can get hurt. i know, i have been in that spot too many times just trying to treat sick people.

But yell at a stupid awards process, you vent safely and live to fight another day.
    that's what i do.
    anyone that spends 2 weeks calling a referee obscenities after a bad call on Sunday knows what i am talking about.

19. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

I hear there is medication for that.

20. smkspy

I find it rather odd that you felt the need to reply on my comment to you twice. Slightly OCD are we?:thumbs2: