Movie/Animated/Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Nov 6, 2011.

?

What's the best design aesthetic sense 2007?

1. Movie

20 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. Animated

34 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Prime

44 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Classic

51 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

My vote goes to PRIME.

Dont get me wrong, Prime wouldnt exist without BOTH the movieverse and Animated productions.

But Prime perfectly mixes all that we love about Transformers. If it lasts a few seasons, maybee we'll get some decent figures out of it!

Come on Hasbro. Keep em comin!!!

2. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Pics!

Attached Files:

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Purely aesthetic? Animated hyands down. The toys stand out among everything else. The dynamic silhouettes, the shapes, the personality in their sculpts, they're completely unlike anything we've had... ever.

Prime's looking like it could come really close to Animated's uniqueness, and that has me really excited. I can't wait to get my hands on Starscream, because it looks like he's going to be able to take all sorts of character-accurate poses, and just be a ton of fun. But they aren't out yet, and I don't have any of the early exclusives to judge for myself.

Movie, I've gotten bored with it. The toys have a hard time standing out from one another one a shelf, which annoys me. Nothing "pops".

Classics... not unique enough. I know they're supposed to be the traditional design aesthetic, that's the whole point of the line. But I'm bored with it, and have hundreds of toys in that same design style.

4. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I hate Prime, loved Animated, am ambivalent to the movies, and only collect Classics, I think Prime has the best aesthetics. BUT! Only because they're building off of the great work that was already done on the Animated line.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Bayformers!!!

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Hmm, it's really hard to choose as I love them all. Animated has a special place in my heart, it was just all around awesome. Movie has some amazing altmodes, some interesting bots and really brought innovative transformations on some figures. But I guess I have to vote for... Prime! It really takes the best of the other two and combines it with engineering wizardry to make those unbelievable figures. I don't think I've been so excited for a single figure as I have been for Voyager TFP Prime in a long, long time.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

einis no quoting Megabattimus before he even posts. Give me your time machine!

In terms of Toys they are new designs. Some of them do actually have entirely new alt modes while still retaining a recognizable robot mode. Galvatron is good example of that sense he shouldn't be a tank but he actually pulls off a really nice Galvatron in the robot mode. Others like Armada Hot Shot or BW Dinobot are just that, an old design with more screen accuracy and/or show accuracy. But if it wasn't a new design they would just be a re-release of the awful original toy.

Technically all new Transformers are based off of older ones but it's the fact with the movie toys that I can't tell they're based off anything Transformers that I hate them. The few movie designs I do like are because they're the few designs who still look like who they're suppose to look like. I'm honestly still waiting for a Barricade with Prowl's head because the body design isn't bad, just the head design is ugly as hell. Megatron and Starscream on the other hand, even with new heads they're still ugly as hell.

Animated has recognizable designs and to be honest most of them aren't even new designs, they're just styalized to have that disproportionate cartoony look to them. Optimus Prime actually has a similar transformation to G1 Optimus. Because of the transformation scheme if you took G1 Prime, added sirens to him, painted his lower arms blue, painted the yellow stipes on his helmet, got rid of the silver stripe around his cab, and got rid of his smoke stacks you'd have an unstylized Animated Optimus. I'd love the designs of Animated if it wasn't for the cartoonish proportions because for the most part all of the designs in Animated already existed. He never got a toy but Animated Hot Shot is just a stylized Armada Hot Shot.

And for the record I would love a Classics Blitzwing. It would need to be a more articulated version of his G1 design and be a Voyager class so it's in scale with his Animated counterpart.

Your opinion is the exact opposite to my own. I hate Animated BECAUSE it stands out among everything else. I love classics because I have hundreds of toys in that same design style.

See you're opinion doesn't really make any sense to me. All new Transformers are based on older Transformers. The new designs couldn't exist without the old. That's how it's suppose to work anyway.

What I mean is that every single Optimus Prime has the same head design. It's changed a little bit with every new design but the basic design idea is still the same as it was in G1. With the one major exception of BM Primal who looks nothing at all like an Optimus. TM Primal looks a little odd too but that's the organic looking robot mode taking effect on his head, the shape still fits with the classic design. Everyone hated Beast Machines designs because they didn't look like Transformers anymore. I don't really understand how the same people can like Bayformers when I hate them for the exact same reasons they hate Beast Machines.

I think it's kinda silly to hate Beast Wars because he's a monkey and not a truck. G1 had animal Transformers before and it wouldn't make sense for them to transforms into vehicles when they haven't been invented yet. There are no vehicles on prehistoric Earth for them to scan and transform into. Even though they're animals they still look like Transformers and still look good on a shelf next to figures from other toy lines.

Movie and Animated toys simply don't belong there. Movie toys are out of place for the same reasons Beast Machines look out of place. They're so different it's hard to believe they're based on the same franchise as Transformers. I'd love them if they were entirely separate entities. In some ways they are entirely separate and I do love them. It seems Terminator, Star Wars, Real Steel, and other sci fi robot movies are sharing designs with each other though I can't say that Transformers stole designs from Real Steel when that movie came out AFTER Transformers.

Animated just looks out of place because of the cartoonish designs. Like they actually fit in with other Transformers and don't at the same time. I know several reviewers on YouTube using Animated Arcee as a stand in for G1. The designs are similar enough except for G1 being a convertible which Animated is not but I think the canopy thing on Animated Arcee could be removed to make her more G1. She'd still have the Animated proportions though and that's what, for me, really stops her from being a G1 stand in. If they gave her NORMAL proportions she still wouldn't be G1 because of the vehicle mode but she could make a good Classics Arcee.

I kinda want Animated Rodimus even though again, I hate the proportions but he is based on G1 Hot Rod. I could possibly turn Classics Rodimus into a more in proportion version of Animated if I had both figures. So basically I need the bow.

Anyway, Animated is a less realistic version of G1, Movie is suppose to be more realistic but they aren't. The Alternators were realistic G1 designs. The movie is some stylized crap that was stolen from other movies that aren't even related to Transformers. I actually wish instead of cheating to make movie toys screen accurate they'd just remold them for more G1ish designs. Like Bumblebee needs a movie toy with a G1 head, no chest breaking for no reason, and no fake molded in license plate on his crotch. He might actually be a good design if it wasn't for the broken chest, the lack of a face, and the unfortunate crotch molding.

Prime Bumblebee has the same broken chest but his Transformation actually requires it to be that way rather than we're going to break up the chest for no reason at all as the movie version does. (Seriously movie designs can be Transformed without breaking the chest for screen accuracy and they look allot better that way.) Prime doesn't have any stupid molding on his crotch. And while Prime doesn't have a face he also doesn't look like his face was shot off. Prime is like Movie Bumblebee if movie Bumblebee kept his battle mask on all the time. With the battle mask off Movie Bumblebee's "face" just looks like an exposed speaker with eyes. Like maybe Optimus ripped his face off and that's just what was underneath and for some reason he didn't die. That's it, movie Bumblebee use to be a Decepticon and Prime ripped his face off. When he didn't die Optimus was about to remove his head completely and Bumblebee said he'd join the Autobots if he could live. Optimus sounds evil when I say it like that but it's true, he's a killer and he always goes for the head.

I got off track somewhere but basically, I don't separate Transformers by series. I have a shelf just for Optimus and Megatron/Galvatrons. I don't like designs that don't look like they belong on that shelf. I have Megatrons from all 3 movies and my attention is drawn to them because they stick out like a sore thumb. They don't look like Transformers, they don't look like Megatron, they don't look like they belong on a shelf with them. They're just ugly as hell. Optimus looks... buisy but still looks like Optimus, I like him. Hate Megatron. Movie Jetfire is up there too because he combines with Optimus... and I hate Jetfire. Not too fond of Armada Jetfire either but that's because he's not a jet and the name doesn't make any sense plus he just transforms into pants. Still Armada Jetfire despite being pants and having a name that doesn't make sense, he looks good on the shelf, movie Jetfire looks horrible.

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I voted Animated, but that's mostly because the line made an excellent show of matching robot mode toys, robot mode character models, altmode toys, and altmode character models, moreso than almost any line before it. Even little things, like the false windshield that Bumblebee had on his chest, was translated in both forms, with his real windshield falling in the same place on the toy as on the character model.

I love all the aesthetics, but Animated is the only line where I even buy characters I don't really care about just because of their designs. It's also the only line where I've got almost a complete set of all the major characters made.

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Prime.

Animated is cool, but I could go with some of the more "cartoonish" expression. I like my toys with the universal face, no smiles or grins.

10. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I'll take all of the above.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm just bored with robots that all look the same. Thats why series with unique designs (BW Animated, Prime) are infinitely more interesting to me. Everything always feels new, and I like that.

12. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I LOVE the movie style, but I got the Arcee/Bee NYCC pack and something about them just...sparks, I don't know what.

But since I had to choose one, I clicked Prime, but Movie is a close second.

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Animated. Best TF toy line of the last 10 years for me, period.

14. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very funny. Most comments says "Animated" or "Movie", but Classics and Prime have more votes.
    I voted in Animated. We have figures with good transformations, well articulated and VERY show accurate. Those figures are great engineering job.

15. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    I love em all but my fave would be Animated

16. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    Classics for me, followed by Bayverse.
    I'm biased I guess cause I hate cartoony robots, Prime's aesthetics remind me too much of Beast Machines, and as much as I love Animated as a tv show, I can't stand it's character designs.

I think RID and Energon have the most screen accurate toys of any transformers line ever.

17. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    My vote goes for Animated. It really got my back into collecting a few years ago. I only collected classics/universe/g1 before that.

18. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Personally, I prefer the movie aesthetic.

On the other hand, I hate Animated with a passion.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Purely by aesthetics, Movieverse is my favorite; in fact I have very few non-Movieverse figures. Realistic alts with non-humanoid bot modes with perhaps too much 'mechanical' detailing is my ideal.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Despise the movie aesthetics with the passion of a thousand stars. God they look like crap to me.

Anyway, I really like Classics. It's a solid robot with great alt modes. These are the toys they wanted to debut with 20 some years ago.

Prime is movie-ish but they turned the hideous unrecognizable piles of metal and actually made something you can tell what you're looking at out of. I like it well enough. This is what the movies SHOULD have looked like.

Animated looked fine in motion. But stills of them just don't light my fire. This applies to the toys as well. Their engineering is extremely impressive to pull off alt modes so close to the models but the end result just doesn't interest me.