Movie/Animated/Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Nov 6, 2011.

?

What's the best design aesthetic sense 2007?

1. Movie

20 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. Animated

34 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Prime

44 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Classic

51 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Ever sense 2007 and I have hated almost all new Transformers designs. The movie because most of the designs look broken unrecognizable messes. The Animated designs because they're disproportionate giant chinned messes. And now Prime because they've combined the broken unrecognizable movie designs with the disproportionate giant chinned Animated designs.

Classics/Universe whatever you wanna call it seems to be the only toy line sense then that really updates the old Transformers characters rather than turning them into some horrible mess.

That being said, while the jury is still out on the animation models the Prime Toy line is turning out to be really good. Starscream looks just as bad as a toy as he does in the cartoon. I feel like I can break him just by looking at him the wrong way and I've only seen pictures and video of him. Megatron I just hate his vehicle mode. The drones I already know I want and I've only seen pictures of the car version. Arcee looks like her toy is not as large chinned as her Animation model. Optimus Prime has his mouth plate which some how manages to have more detail than his face and covers up his freakishly large chin. The Prime design actually looks allot less broken than the movie design. Bumblebee still has his broken chest and no face like the movie version but his transformation actually calls for the broken chest rather than breaking it for no reason when it could be left in tact like a normal transformer and he actually looks like he has a little face plate rather than having his face shot off. Cliffjumper I was glad to see get his own design but sorry to see it was this ugly thing. The toy actually doesn't look bad at all. The zombie version is horrible but his normal toy is OK.

In short even though the Prime designs incorporate two of the worst design ideas ever for the most part they some how make it work. I can't really explain why it works, it just does. Except of course for Starscream, well so far he's the only one that looks like a horrible broken skinny big chinned mess.

So what's your vote on best design aesthetic? Movie, Animated, Prime, or Classic?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Animated. Designs are show accurate and had some great engineering.

3. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime.

Movie looked like robot lepers, Animated looked too cartoony and Classics looks boring as all hell.

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Did... did you post... before I finished the poll? Is that possible?

Yeah Animated is show accurate but that was one toy line I wish WASN'T show accurate. I'd like toys based off Animated characters but with real, not cartoon proportions. I don't like transforming a perfectly good vehicle mode just to see a giant chin on the robot mode. Even Shockwave has a giant chin and he doesn't even have a face. Earth Mode Megatron was the only toy in that line that doesn't look out of proportion with the rest of my Transformers. The other few Animated figures I have don't look like they belong.

Not sure Prime would really belong either but it seems to have found a health middle ground. I don't think they will stand out as much as movie or Animated toys but I think I'll still be selective over what toys I get.

Classics is still where I feel holds the most true to the original characters. Upgrading their looks without ruining their looks. In allot of ways Classics actually makes them better than the original designs like Armada Hot Shot actually having shoulders, Dinobot being show accurate, Wreck-Gar not being a block on 2 wheels, ect.

The other 3 toy lines I just feel stray too far away from what I recognize as a Transformer which is the same mistake they made with Beast Machines designs. Some of the movie characters actually took elements from Beast Machines only made it worse like Thrust traveling on a single wheel rather than having feet was cool, the wheel bot in ROTF was stupid.

5. Optimum1996

Optimum1996 Insert something here

From what I've seen the Prime toys look awesome in terms of engineering (especially Bulkhead), and the movie toys have come a long way as well.

6. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Edit:
    this

7. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Depending on my mood, I go with either "fuck it, all of 'em" or "who gives a shit, honestly".

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Classics, Prime Second

9. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Let me try and break this down:

• The movie toys have a really unique design aesthetic and great engineering, though the designs can be a bit too busy sometimes.
    • Animated is pretty much "let's take classic G1 designs and make them all stylized and more cartonny". By all accounts, it shouldn't work and should be absolutely terrible. But somehow, it works and gave us the most screen accurate Transformers line in history.
    • Prime takes the design aesthetic from the movies, a bit simpler, and combines it with Animated. Add in excellent engineering and great show accuracy, and you have a ripper toyline.
    • Classics takes G1 designs and modernizes them for today by giving them greater articulation and newer alt. modes. It is a magnificent line and one of the best TF lines in recent history.

So, in short; I like all the recent design aesthetics.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Can't decide between movie and Animated, as both design styles truly gave us something fresh and new that we had never before seen in the Transformers universe. Reagrdless of your personal opinion on whether you like/dislike their aesthetic, surely they at least deserve praise for trying something original?

11. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

This thread's timeline is screwed up! There's even a reply before a post!

For me it's classics, prime, movie, animated. But even some animated and movie figures fit better with classics given a proper paintjob.

12. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like them all for different reasons, although my favourite is probably Classics. However the Movieverse has given us a variety of altmodes unlike anything we've seen for years.

13. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

well, as we are talking about toys, I won't say my opinion about series/movies

Animated is cool, a little bit caricaturized, but that's amazing, considering transformers have been almost always blockish (almost 'cause BW/BM toys weren't so blockish), I don't care about the big chins and disproportionated bodies, 'cause I love changes in transformers designs (and I still want to see a series without Optimus Prime and Megatron... just to have them adressed as OTHER or PAST commanders). The bad part... well, just the design, many people just doesn't like their cartoonish design, some love them.

TFPrime is a nice mix, cartoonized style of Animated, realistic and many parts as movieverse, yet a simple and structured transformation as the other generations, I like it, can't wait to have some toys, but can't opine about those yet

Classics, they are not really 100% new designs, they are most like G1 (and some others) toys updated with better articulation, better designs and transformations, more screen accuracy to not look like bricks, etc. Not really a completely new designs, as they're based in toys and characters we've seen before (which gives them many points from older fans and "classics" fans) but for me, I would like those figures to have more movible parts, not to much as movie toys, just some there and here, as the last "classics" style toys we got. The sad part is that we all know most of the characters, and just dedicate to complain when a character doesn't looks like their other generation self (Perceptor not being a microscope, etc), having anoter name (Trailcutter) or not having a toy yet! (Blitzwing, Soundwave, etc)

Movieverse toys: my favorites (at least in the ROTF toyline, 'cause DOTM lacks enginering) Articulated, more "different" bodytypes, transformations in new ways, realistic alt modes, etc. The bad part is the excess of main characters (Bee and Optimus mainly), 'cause... well, movies are popular, the main characters are MORE popular... so, well, it's just marketing. As for transformation, some have really nice transformations as ROTF Leader OP, but others, even being big, just lacks that awesomeness (as ROTF Leader Jetfire), anyways, movieverse has LOTS of shellformers characters 'cause... you know, you CAN'T make a toy 100% accurate of a robot who has thousands of parts moving away from their places without cheating... that was the cost for the amazing and non-blockish designs.

so my final opinion is: Movieverse, new changes, realistic alt modes

14. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

Classics is at the bottom of this list for me.

Too many of the molds are meh to me. Animated gets so much hate, yet i feel some characters in the Animated line are better toys than their Classics counterparts. Classics fails too many times for me to say it's the best.

I LOVE the cartoony style of Animated. I want to set up a whole shelf of just Animated. I wish they'd make more G1 characters in this style.

Prime looks sexy as hell. There hasn't been a line where I want every single figure until now.

As far as the movie figures go, The Leader Class figures are pretty close to Masterpieces. I guess it depends on if you like or hate the movie designs to begin with. I like em.

15. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Classics followed by prime.

16. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

nailed it

17. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Movie toys

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Animated. I like the smooth lines, expressive features, and slight caricature like proportions that gives the characters real character and personality. Another aspect is that it's come and gone, so it feels like a breathe of fresh air.

Classics is fantastic, and I have absolutely nothing against it, I just like Animated a bit more. There are many upcoming figures from Classics (Black Shadow) that I'm looking forward too.

Prime seems mostly passable; I'm no fan of the Movie aesthetic.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Classics, Prime and Animated are all fine....meh on Bayformers.

20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aesthetic -> Classics
    Engineering -> Animated