Movie/alternator licenses

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tchad, Apr 16, 2009.

1. tchad

tchad Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the licenses for TFTM and alternators/binaltech are separate licenses?

I'm wondering why we can't get Binaltech's of the movie figs. Imagine Bumblebee or (GASP - AWESOME!) Ironhide.

I can only imagine due to the cash cow adult collectors would bring it is plenty profitable and they seem to have a good chunk of GM cars already. Binaltech isn't brand specific in terms of cars - maybe the movie has an exclusive GM only deal?

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My guess is that the TFTM licenses are a joint Ford/Hasbro/Paramount licenses versus just a Hasbro/cardealerhip for Altbinals.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, if they have the license to use a particular car design from Ford then I would assume that they could do them as Alternators if they chose to (though, from my understanding, the designs would have to be pre-approved by Ford). My thinking on the reason we have not seen anything like that is because Hasbro hasn't wanted to go back to what they considered 'a non-profitable line'. Of course, they are doing a sort of Hybrid of the Alternators and regular lines with the upcoming RotF Human Alliance figures... and that's probably as close as we'll get for now.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It does not work as simply as your putting it

Car licences are dealt with on a case by case basis. Often it works like this... A company that makes toys/games/collectables makes a proposal and often this means theirs a basic prototype is needed (see BT 911 Turbo Jazz) then the Auto maker has its say on what they want changed if anything. Then after the a series of prototypes and checks the auto maker signs off on it and gives the toy company approval to make the toy with their name on the box saying its an official GM/Ford/Honda licensed and approved toy.

TFTM is kinda special since Hasbro and GM worked together to make the new look and cars together so its likely that in the movie their was a lot of back and forth E-mails between Dream Works Hasbro and GM to make sure every one was happy.

As for GM cars that are in the BT alt line their are the C5 corvettes and the Jeeps that's about average when you look at say Ford who had the Mustang GT and Ford GT Dodge with the Viper Comp Coupe, Viper SRT10 and Dodge Ram SRT10 and Honda who had the Integera Type-R(or RSX for the Alts), the S2000 and the Civic Coupe.

Now if they wanted to make more alts based on the Movie cars I'm sure they could but they would need to start from the basic proposal and mock up before they had it approved.

Also Alt Iron Hide would never happen given its size in 1:24 scale it would simply be too big and we only just got the Dodge Ram due to the toy being Optimus and all.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie Alternators? Last I checked weren't they called "Human Aliiance" now?

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, they're probably as close as we'll get to Alternator Movie figures... but they don't seem to be as nice as alternators... like they're missing a lot of what makes them "real world transforming model cars" to incorporate the passenger gimmick.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The funny (and equally annoying) thing about this is that Hasbro said, back before TF1 was released, that they were hoping the movie's success would open more doors for Alternators licensing deals in response to being asked what the future of that line was. But even though it was stated in an interview posted to the various TF forums, I seem to be the only one who remembers reading the damn thing since it's never been followed up on in other Q&A sessions. I'm starting to convince myself that I just imagined it so that I don't keep waiting for a resurrection of the Alt line :)