Customs: Mouthplates and Visors?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by nemisispringer, May 19, 2011.

1. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys i'm a total amateur at kitbashing but i have a bash planned that involves adding a visor on to one headsculpt and a mouthplate on to another. I wondered if anyone had any tips or links to tutorials or could just let me know what you would do in order to create theese features.

2. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    some people have used styrene plastic to make those.

iv added a mouthpiece before to a head of mine. but i took the mouthpiece off of Armada leader Prime. not the super mode head tho.

but look around for some flat plastic pieces and maybe you can cut up one.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I use putty, styrene, or small bits of plastic to make my faceplates and visors. When using putty, you have to make sure to sculpt them to your liking, followed by some sanding and smoothing once it cures.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I usually use styrene to build mine. I'll study some reference artwork, then try to bring it to life, so to speak. If you have a vision of what you want to try, just test the idea on some small/thin styrene sheets to practice a bit. Cut out your basic shape(s), measure if need be (I usually eyeball it), and do test fittings to see if it fits in to the area you're working on.

Also, depending on the head size, for very small heads, I use a pair of tweezers to help hold the tiny pieces of styrene and apply it. I don't think there's any one tutorial out there on how to do these. Another tip is to remember to start from the inside out. If you want a new visor and a new mouthplate, you'll want to figure out how you want it. Say the mouthplate is supposed to stick out some, beyond the area that the visor does. You'll want to build the visor first, glue it in, then start on the mouthplate so that everything looks good and lines up correctly.

For building visors and faceplates, I just use some thin sheet styrene (you can even use "For Sale" signs that you can find at Wal-Mart or Home Depot), I use a hobby knife, a metal ruler, and a pencil (or sometimes a fine tip Sharpie--you can wipe off or sand off later). Sandpaper is good also--this helps to smooth the cut edges and lets you "shape" the styrene a bit. Instead of hard edges, you can round them a bit or do angled edges.

Hope it helps, man. Good luck and can't wait to see what you do here.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    When making my own mouth plates, I, like many others, turned to styrene. I cut off and trimmed down two symmetrically parts off of a larger sheet and glued them onto the head.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd also throw into the mix of kitbashing other parts from other toys (TFs and non-TFs) to create things like this.

7. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

For a faceplate I would take a very short length of thin-walled square styrene tubing and cut it diagonally into a V shape. Then just splay it out to width, add to, file down, whatever. I'd cut a translucent/clear piece of styrene to size with scissors or an x-acto for a visor.