Mourning a loss & not giving TFs as gifts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Jan 18, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought TFs as presents for a few kids this past Christmas and from the parents, i got the usual, "he loved it," or "he was excited."
    then i went back to visit these people.
    i gave Treadbolt to a 9 year old. asked him how he liked it, and he shrugged his shoulders and grunted- oooh, really lovin' it i see. he brought it to me and asked me to transform it. it took him 3 trips from his room to get it.
    his legs, his torso and last, wings. and don't bother asking about the accessories. they're gone to the void for all i know.

the little bastard tore it apart in less than 2 days.
    i actually sat there and apologized to a toy. if there is a toy hell, i just saw it. Worse than having your planet eaten by Unicron terrifying.

i asked the dad why it was broken or why didn't he save the accessories.
    he said, why bother? he's broken everything he has.

that made up my mind. I am not giving TFs as presents anymore. not to any kid younger than 15. i can't and won't give something away that will only entertain a kid for as long as it takes to yank parts off and throw it into a trash can.

Next year, he's getting play-doh. in a zip lock with a lable reading: Please EAT ME.

don't you hate it when you know a kid destroyed a TF that you gave as a gift?

2. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    LOL at this. Yeah it's depressing when I give transformers to my son and they end up in his toybox, but you have to remember they just don't value them as much as we do.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Kids are fickle, and kids wreck stuff. That's what they do.

If anything, that toy you're mourning died in the line of service, fulfilling the task he was built for. Who cares if they get wrecked, so long as the kid enjoyed it. You gave it as a gift, don't begrudge him for playing with it until he wrecked it.

I mean jeez, heaven forbid a kid actually play with his toys instead of just placing them on a shelf and gazing at them lovingly from time to time.

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

My little cousin got Animated BB for Christmas. He seemed to like it alot, and asked me to transform it quite a few times. I don't recall giving TFs away as gifts and seeing them broken though.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    some kids do, some don't.....i know i took pretty damn good care of my toys, if my parents hadn't thrown out a bunch of my toys i would have every single toy i have ever had still for the most part complete (unbroken too).....heck till they threw him out, bw rattrap still had his two gun pieces and all his feet...oh and there is a way to play with toys and not break them, i was doing that when i was 3-4 years old

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude, It's just a toy in the end. Sometimes my toys stayed in one piece when I was a kid, sometimes they didn't.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'm very glad that I am in no way related to you or have children with which you will interact.

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe you should take the hint and just not give TFs to HIM.

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's what kids do. Although those ball joints don't always help. Great for if you or a kid accidentally 'break' the figure but also a shitter for limbs and ball-mounted kibble to vanish without a trace very quickly. And once those bits have gone and it can't transform properly anymore most kids will lose interest in it.
    It also means when I find a modern TF at a car boot sale it's almost always missing a ball-joint limb.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i know ugh, poor movie 1 swindle, missing both doors and his arm

12. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I'm 13 now and when i got tf's when i was 5 and 6 i put them neat in a toy box and they never got scratched. I only have had 1 tf become badly broken and that was on a move to storage. Now I appreciate them even more and have them on shelves, clear coat them all and make sure they are exposed to as little sun as possible. I love my tf's and treasure them. I don't like kids who trash them or parents who let them do so.

One of my friends had a tf collection and he got into hot wheels. His mom sold them all and then in 06 and 07 he got back into them and was torn to pieces because his mom sold them behind his back. Now he takes exceptional care of each one.

If you want something durable why not a Gravity Bot for the little turd child?

13. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Having collected TF since way back in 1984 almost none of my old figures are broken or have accessories missing (we're talking maybe three or four out of hundreds, unless the figure was secondhand and broke or missing bits already). And I wasn't even a very careful child back then as my TF went out to play in the garden and be buried in flowerbeds and drive along concrete paths like all kids should do with their toys.
    It would seem to me kids are rougher with their stuff these days because it tends to be easier to just buy a new toy, or at least they think that. Most parents these days just don't seem to instill in kids that they should respect and take care of their belongings. Or is that just my imagination? I'm sure kids that don't get much are way more careful with their toys.

14. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

I've only given bumper bots to younger kids so far. Older kids I tend to stay away from toys unless its something I know they like, want, and will take care of. Children break toys though. When I was young I really had no idea what a hobby was. When I got a new TF it got played with, HARD. Autobots and Deceptions blowing each other to bits. If I had access to firecrackers and m80's on a regular basis nothing would have survived.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Firecrackers and Hot Wheels were an excellent combo.

16. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sigh kids, you must remember if you're giving toys to them, better forget about them and don't think about the money spend. because it'll broke, lost, eaten, destroyed, whatever. but hey, it'll make them happy, and that's what really counts anyway

17. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I was always pretty good with my toys - if they got broken, it was usually over a long period of time and use.

My only problem as a kid was forgetting to put them up into places our puppies couldn't get to them. Lost a few things that way.

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Last Christmas I gave my little neice a load of Power Rangers figures I bought from car boot sales. None had any weapons and accessories but they were cheap and she was wowed by the huge box of figures and robots. If she breaks any it doesn't matter to me, and there's nothing important there to lose either. I'm glad she's not one of those kids that must have the new or expensive toy or fad item her schoolmates have or are going on about.
    I have given her some Transformers in the past, which she takes good care of, but she seems to be much happier with this cheap stuff she can take outside and no-one worries about it getting trashed or lost.

Actually, she's currently extremely happy with dominoes. Better than me having to buy stuff like DVDs and console games for her. :) 

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    According to the box, transformers are made for ages 6 and up right? Give that kid a Transformer that is easy... like activators stuff. Personally, it sounds like that kid didn't even like Transformers. Ask them what they like and buy that for them. Thats what I used to do for my nephews. They LOVED dragonball Z.. so i'd get them a few dragonball Z toys and one Transformer to see if they really liked it.

Honestly, who didn't go to war with their Transformers as children? I know my toys went to Cybertron everyday around 4 o'clock when I got home from school. Tons of deaths and in the end.... only 1 Transformer survived.... Twin Twist. He survived mainly because he sucked and I didn't use him lol.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think you forgot that that kid... was a kid.

And I gave a couple Energon Scouts straight off of my work-desk in the garage to my girlfriend's nephews simply because they didn't get a whole lot of toys that day (Christmas morning). I felt kind of bad seeing 3 kids get two toys among them for Christmas.

I really could care less what they do with them. I don't expect any of those figures to be whole right now. And that's fine. It's now their toys. I gave it to them to play with, and I fully expect those toys to have been played with.

Sounds to me like that Tread Bolt was played with.