Non-TF: MOTUC Skeletor - headsculpt/hood [WIP]

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Dec 7, 2010.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I recently picked up the MOTUC/DCUC 2-packs of He-Man and Skeletor and immediately set out to sculpt a better face and hood for ol' Skeletor. I wanted to try and give him a kind of classic Filmation vibe. This is my first major attempt at sculpting (I have sculpted minor things for TF customs of mine, but nothing of this magnitude). Anyway, I cut open the mouth/jaw to help separate the teeth a tiny bit, I sculpted new eye sockets into the skull (to give him a more evil look), and I started building up and sculpting the hood, since I didn't care much for the bonnet-style hood they gave the original MOTU toy and the MOTU Classics figure.

This is still a WIP and I have since cut and sculpted the lower jaw a bit to be less rounded and more chiseled. I've also painted the sculpted and carved/cut pieces with Tamiya Flat Yellow, then I did a wash over the face to give it a gritty, more real look (using Tamiya Flat Black). I also painted the inside of the hood black to help the skull seem as if it's sort of "floating" there. I still have some minor sculpting work on the hood itself (still shaping it up and sanding some small areas a bit). I will share the more recent pics in the next day or so. After I finish the head and sculpt work, I plan to do a dark blue wash over the figure to bring out the details in the body and also repaint the armor.

Since this was the 2-pack Skeletor, I didn't get the havoc staff, so I tossed the sword to He-Man and I actually started sculpting my own havoc staff. I'll also share some pics of that soon. I'm honestly not sure how this will turn out, but I really want one to go with Skeletor and unless I can find one out there soon, I'll continue to sculpt. It basically started as something fun and to test my skills a bit. So if I don't finish the havoc staff, I'll be cool, but I'd rather save time and sculpting materials, if at all possible.

Anyway, enough rambling and I hope you guys enjoy! It's still a bit rough around the edges now, but I think you'll dig the new stuff I've done since taking these shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update:

Here's what I've been working on still with ol' Skeletor and his hood. What you see here is still a WIP and the paint isn't final. I just did a light coat to see how it looked and see what areas need touching up. Since my last post on him, I removed a couple of his teeth on the left and right sides of his jaw (to help give a more sinister look to "the grin") and I painted it black. I sculpted above the eye sockets on the skull and carved the rounded jaw/chin area a bit--to make it more rough and bony (is that even a word?) lol.

I took a comparison shot next to my recently acquired loose Skeletor from the Mo-larr 2-pack. I wanted to basically show just how much my head/hood changed from the original look. I plan to swap out the armor from the chest and crotch area between the two, to better color match with the havoc staff I got with the 2-pack version.

Also, you'll see my custom Skeletor battle ax WIP. I took my Hordak staff and popped off the ball and bat section, then cut the bat from the top of the ball. I took that snapped it onto the He-Man battle ax. It simply pops on and off, so you can still pop it off and shoot it back to He-Man for poses or whatever. It's a fairly simple mod. Now I'm thinking of using the staff handle to create a new weapon of some type for Skeletor or even Hordak (though I'm cool with Hordak simply keeping his crossbow or maybe at some point, doing a cannon arm or something for him).

Keep in mind, this is my first major sculpting (other than some smaller/minor sculpting with Transformers and all), so I appreciate any comments or tips you can toss on this! (I'm usually more into styrene work with Transformers, but I've always wanted to learn more about sculpting like this).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looking good so far

3. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    u have 2 i want one

great work B

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Cool, I can really hear Skeletor laughing when I see your version!

5. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Major improvement! Looks great!

6. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Crikey did they really make him with a green head.... how weird of them.

I always find Skeletor looks neat with a cloth cape - probably because of his Live Action Shelf I always like a Skeletor with a cape - try it see if you agree.