MOTU 2002 question...

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Razorclaw, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I watched the new MOTU episodes recently, and I've got the hots for the toy line that accompanied the series. I'm interested in the overall quality of the figures, which ones are a must have and whic ones should I avoid? How they stand the test of time? The original ones I got as a kid are nigh indestructible, the sturdiest toys got into contact with. Are the new one like that, if not how much fragile are they compared?

Also feel free to post pics of your collections as I want to feast my eyes on some candy.

For starters take a look at this:
    http://www.planeteternia.de/cgi-bin/custom.pl?cusID=2295;sprID=1

It blew me away when I saw that.

2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Well, I'm still trying to complete my new MOTU collection, stactions and all. To be honest, I think of them as mini-statues. Mattell really blew it by not giving them articulation. Amazing that they could make that mistake after almost 20 years in technology advancement and based on the fact that every other toyline consisted of poseable figures.

With that said, however, they look---aesthetically---spectacular and are terrific updates of their original characters. Plus, they're relatively cheap. I have heard some stories about a few fragile characters, but I think you'd hear the same thing about every other toyline out there, to be honest. Sometimes they break.

I would recommend the main core of characters, of course. NECA is still doing the statues, and if you really love the line, you know that they keep improving on themselves with each series.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I very much liked the new line, but the problem I had was that you could never find the figures you wanted. It was always either He-Man or Skeletor. Sure, I'd see a different figure here and there, but not enough for me to get into the line. Way too difficult to hunt for. Now that the line is over, who knows how hard they may be to find.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

I loved the figures I could find, but short-packing the hell out of just about everything but He-man and Skeletor killed this line.

6. Razorclaw

I know what killed the line, and its a damn shame. Stupid Mattel!
    The cartoon is great, better than the original by a mile, and the figures are great looking. And guys don't worry about me finding them, all of my collecting needs I have been fullfiling through online means, since my country is a buttend of nowhere when it comes to tfs and masters, and has been for a decade and a half. We got Cybertron just a couple of months back. So I'll be using BBTS and Brian's (that's why I asked about Brian's in another thread).

And has anyone checked out that Grayskull diorama I posted the link for? The dude also made custom horde troopers and a Fright Zone diorama. They're excellent. You really have to see them.

EDIT: chtiger, I just saw your collection. I see you have Keldor, I love that figure, that little vile and extra heads are great.

7. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

That Greyskull is fantastic, good find. Now I have to track 3 Greyskulls down for walls.

I do not have pics, but I got almost all of the main characters, and a few special armors.

I have extra:
    Evil-Lyn, Merman, Fire Armor Skeletor, all MOSC
    Target ex. He-Man vs. Skeletor MIB
    TRU ex. Wolf Armor He-man vs. Snake Armor Skeletor MISB
    Slime Pit with slime demon MISB

and I do ship international. LMK

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

Looking at the pics, I'm reminded I never got around to buying a Fisto figure. Then again, I'm not sure I want to; I used to have bad dreams as a little kid that my old Fisto figure was trying to kill me :( 

9. Waspinator

Waspinator Active Member

I could have gotten most of them. Plus the rest online that i didnt see. But i passed on the entire wave b/c of the shortpackaging thing. And I didnt want to pay inflated online prices...

But this line was really good! If they make a Thundercats line like this i'll be getting everything...

10. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

Hell Ya! But don't hold your breath.

11. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I know how strange this distribution can be. IN my country Peru we got TONS and TONS of "hard-to-find-figures" in USA. We still ahve Fisto, Zodak, and some of my friends even got some chase figures like Fisto or He Man with classic symbol.

12. Waspinator

Waspinator Active Member

13. Razorclaw

Thanks for the offer, but I can't send you payment because paypal won't accept credit cards from my country and my post office has no international money order option. Only way I can send you payment is either hidden cash or you post those on ebay and you have a bidpay account so I can send you money through bidpay. To much hassle either way for a regular joe.

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

15. Waspinator

Waspinator Active Member

Somewhere on TNI. Thundercats forum. And no. Thats the only one i'm aware of.

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Anyone else appreciate the irony of MOTU and Transformers?

When MOTU was relaunched, it was praised for its detailed sculpts, updating of classic characters, and greatly improved animated series. Almost simultaneous, Hasbro launched Armada, which was ridiculed for simplistic, childish designs, and a poorly animated and written cartoon.

Yet here we are almost five years later. MOTU is barely a blip on the radar, kept alive by a line of mini-statues, while the Transformers renaissance rekindled by Armada has given fans almost everything they have ever wanted.

17. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic, but that's very weak.

I don't know how well anyone remembers the original, but in it Lion-O starts out as a young boy who then grows up in a hibernation chamber as the TC ship travels to "Third Earth." Perhaps, if we are lucky, that Lion-O is just the cub version.

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I keep passing up getting some of the original MOTU figs at my local toy shop. Most of them go for pretty cheap, even some of the sealed figs. Must resist the urge, though.

Dammit! Evil-Lyn should'a been in the shagged thread.

19. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

The MOTU products have intrigued me. I especially like some of the statues on the 4horsemen website.

20. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That Model was just.. Damn.. as a would-be miniature terrain man... that's one IMPRESSIVE piece of work.