Customs: Motors in dioroma set pieces

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by dsn1014, Dec 29, 2011.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Now a bit out of the box today, but I spied this video on youtube and apart from how entertaining it was for a minute I'm wondering what could be done with something like this? Best show the video,

Don't Push (Lego robot)

I've seen dioramas for customs, there are those cool bases that I've seen lots of people using that look like they're in hangers (chain bases?) or the custom ones people build for their figures, like the table for FRs AutobotX.

As regard electronics, LEDs seem to be very popular at the moment and have been embraced by a lot of customisers, so using a soldering iron isn't out of the question.

With something like what we have in the video I'm sure smart modelling and a bit of programming could move parts around, turn lights and sounds on for us. All with the benefit of turning the switch off for us once it's all done.

For those who know something about the technologies involved, could you please tell me the parts that would be involved. I know there are switches and motors running, but am a bit lost on where to start reading up on the topic.

For those who like the idea, any thoughts on what kind of dioramas that could be produced?

Perhaps a BW CR chamber that will open when pushed down with flashing lights, revealing the figure on the inside.
    Or a rising elevator on a set that will go up and down once triggered.

I expect something like this is rather expensive and would require more skilled hands than I. but curious to see if anyone could see any use for motors in the hobby.

2. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

I'm sure you noticed that the video tells you at the end that the machine was made using Lego Mindstorms. Try googling that...in short it's a kit from Lego that includes motors and sensors that you can program using a simple object oriented programming system that's simple enough for kids to use.

I'm sure someone could take components and somewhat easily build a hardware-driven solution with servos and various transducers, but you need to learn some basic electronics before jumping over to Radio Shack and picking up a pile of them. I'd start with an idea for a project first, though, and then try to figure out how to make it work, rather than pulling out a technology and trying to pair something to it.