Motormaster needs a new (modern) figure, damnit!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Karhukjnsi, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    It's really baffling that Hasbro declared Generations to consist of solely Deluxes. The Combaticon leader, Onslaught, was made into a sweet larger-than-deluxe sized toy that every single one of us knows and loves (hyperbole intended). Yet, the leader of the Stunticons has been shafted for so long.

Drag Strip has a Universe namesake, Dead End has an Alternator and TWO ROTF figures, Wildrider has a Henkei/Gentei figure (even if reeeaaaally hard to get), Breakdown has a G1-styled ROTF and a G2 Universe.

The closest Motormaster ever got was a canceled repaint of this guy, and not even under his own name, but "Menasor", instead.

You'd think that this guy would've gotten something updated by now, he's literally gone head on against Optimus, afterall.

RABBLE RABBLE!

Discussions, comments, retorts?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I might be uninformed but, when did they only declare generations as deluxe?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It would help if Hasbro could get the trademark for Motormaster back, or at least something similar to it (like Trailcutter being the new name for Trailbreaker figures). They might have something in the works for him, but I don't think he's one of their priorities atm.

Earlier this year at Botcon. Generations as a line is, for the most part, Deluxe class figures (Exclusives being the only exception), but Hasbro have introduced figures that most of us would consider more like Generations figures that have ended up in the yellow box/HftD line (Voyager Seaspray is one example).

4. Karhukjnsi

News Credits:
    I believe it was at one of the recent 'Cons.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I see. But we have seen a few HTFD being made just for it, as mentioned above on Seaspray, but also Windcharger scout later on

6. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    There's nothing baffling about Generations being deluxe only. That's the pricepoint that sells the best, it's the 'meat' of all Transformer lines. Higher pricepoints, especially without media support, are slower movers leading to shelfwarming and the need for fewer items/assortments. Hasbro needs more product at the deluxe pricepoint, less at higher pricepoints.

The 'deluxe only' bit does not stop HFTD voyagers from being 'pseudo-Generations' toys either. Grapple is very much a "classic" and Seaspray's between classic & movie style. If Hasbro wanted to make a "classic" voyager "Motormaster" right now, there's nothing stopping them from doing so and putting him in a yellow box.

But why no Motormaster? It does seem to me a name issue since the U1 repaint would have been called Menasor and the black Titanium Rodimus was called Menasor and the legends figure was called Menasor and the PCC Huffer repaint is Crankcase, though that's purposefully not Motormaster in order to represent an expansion of the subgroups' characters.

Still, letters printed on packaging make no difference to me and what the 'identity' of a toy is out of the packaging. I'd just love to get something with Motormaster's colors: largely gray with black and purple as the secondary colors. Until then, U2 Nemesis Prime is my stand-in Stunticon commander.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    even that is debatable, seeing as it doesn't say generations on the box, the boxes are just very similar

it is mostly a generic box

8. Karhukjnsi

News Credits:
    In that, itself, is what's baffling to me. WHY?! Yes, Deluxes are the "meat", as you say, but...so? I understand being that it's more wallet-stuffing for Hasbro, it makes sense to allow more variety in that class-size, and I can appreciate that. The thing I can't wrap my head around: why would they allow class/size restrictions in a specific line? They're already making some more figures in a larger price point (Voyager-Size), they design them to fit within the borders of a certain theme (Generations), yet for some publicly unknown reason, they decide to release them in a DIFFERENT line with it's own established theme (TF 2010). What's the purpose of having the individually named/themed damned toylines, then? Just smash 'em all together under the brand name (Transformers).

If the toys aren't going to move...then they're not going to move, regardless of how they're released. They're still producing X amount of figures, how does it hurt them to keep certain lines/themes contained within it's own borders?

EDIT: I realize I'm getting a little too "srs bsns" here; about a point that very well may not be affected the the ramblings of some person on the internet, but I just want to understand a reason that'll give me some peace of mind.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would be all for this but he better be an Ultra like Silverbolt and Onslaught.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The new figures are just "Transformers" without a subtitle. Generations is a subset of that which focuses on heritage characters. Hunt for the Decepticons is just a sticker advertising a flash game... it's not actually ON the packages.

Anywho, since using the name Motormaster is completely out, what should they rename him?

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Engine Master, Motor Major, Motor Chief?

12. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate the universe onslaught whats the point in combiner characters that dont combine no sir i am not on board.

13. Karhukjnsi

News Credits:
    TBH, I actually like combiner teams...just not the combined form. Bring on the Combaticons, screw Bruticus. I love the Stunticons, but Menasor makes no real sense. The actual combining is an unnecessary gimmick.

"Road King" Motormaster, or "Stunticon" Motormaster, like "Special Ops" Jazz, or "Turbo" Tracks.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Basically because Hasbro sells Transformers to retailers, not to people. And they sell them to retailers in assortments/pricepoints.

When I say they need more product at the deluxe pricepoint and less at the voyager pricepoint, I mean stores/retailers will order and will allocate shelf space for HFTD Deluxes and Generations Deluxes. However they won't do so with Voyagers. One assortment of that pricepoint is enough. Or well, actually sorta 2 is enough with HFTD voyagers and PCC 5-packs.

They are sorta all under the brand name Transformers. There are just subtitles and different packaging colors for marketing. Which is completely like G1. Red Autobot boxes and purple Decepticon boxes were still all the same overall line. G1 Transformers also had 'subtitles'/logos such as Headmasters, Targetmasters, Pretenders, or a color strip and Number/Letter designation for combiner subgroups. It was still all the "Transformers" line.

15. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

OOOOooooo, I like that one

16. ElSnarfo

ElSnarfo Registered Slacker

Motormouth

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Classics Nemesis Prime with Shadow Commander armor works as Motormaster for some.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Some names they can just add a prefix, but that doesn't solve the problem with all names. We don't know if prefix+Motormaster would work.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Completely different situation. Jazz and Tracks are considered "common terms" and can't be trademarked on their own, but with something added to them like Autobot, Decpeticon, Special Ops, or Turbo, it's ok. However Motormaster isn't a common term, and can't be trademarked just by adding something to it.

20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if Hasbro is disinterested in updating Motormaster since he was sort of set up as a rival of Optimus Prime (having roughly the same alt mode), and he's black and gray, and now they have Nemesis Prime, who's also set up as a rival of Optimus Prime, and is also predominately black and gray, and has exactly the same alt mode.

Looking at it this way, from Hasbro's perspective, Motormaster might seem redundant. Add to that the fact that the name is unavailable and he goes right to the bottom of the list as far as priorities are concerned.

And as for what to rename him, it probably depends a lot on who owns the rights to the name. If it's another toy company, the prefix "fix" won't work. If it's a car company, or a blender company (which I think is the problem they had with Mixmaster for the longest time), they might could get away with something like "Road King" Motormaster.