Mother loses job to cheer on son and husband’s Little League World Series run

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metroplex79, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Article link here.

Some moms are Supermoms, this one certainly deserves that title.

I hope the kid will remember this for the rest of his life.

2. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

thats mesd up she had usable vacaticon time and she wasn't alowed to use it ?

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can sort of understand why her boss would want her remain to manage the office in his absence, if that was indeed her responsibility, but to let her go because of the conflict strikes me as cutting-off-the-nose-to-spite-the-face, as now he's presumably managerless, or has had to find someone else to do the job.

There's surely some context that hasn't been provided.

4. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    why would she be able to if there were already other people off work? just because you have the vacation time doesn't mean you can expect to take it whenever the hell you want.

still, I certainly applaud her gutsy actions. it takes a lot to know where your priorities lie and do something about it. hopefully she'll be able to find something else.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I smell a potential movie...

6. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

ya the worst movie of the century

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm kinda siding with the boss on this one.

1. He was already heading out of town and she being a manager was needed to look after the store.

2. He warned her not to leave or it would cost her her job. She did anyway.

Yes she did have vacation time, but you can't use that whenever you want or at the drop of a hat. You need to have it approved. What she did, while great for the kid, was horrible for the business. You are a manager. You are to set an example and be there in case of emergencies! What if they were robbed or there was a fire? What if a coworker got sick? What if there was some sort of harassment? You leaving leaves the boss open for big trouble when his staff is not there.

8. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This. I don't want to be selfish here, but keeping a job is more important then a game.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to post. You can't just take vacation at the drop of a hat. Especially if you're a manager and other managers/associates are off. You get paid the big bucks for a reason you know?

While what she did was great for her son's "morale" I wonder how the kid is going to feel in a few months when his mom can't buy him stuff... or there's no food on the table... or the lights go out. I'm sorry, but having a job and providing for your family is more important than being morale support at your kid's game. I sincerely hope that the father has a good job, because I simply don't see anyone being very quick to hire her now that she has this incident on her work record... and it's now something that's been published too in the news. Can't avoid a potential employer finding out about this now.

Potential future boss at interview: "Hey, weren't you that lady who quite her job to fly out to her kid's ball game? Don't call us. We'll call you." Assuming she even gets to the interview stage.

10. edf

edf Well-Known Member

In todays economy- I am sure there were several, several people lines up for her job to take her place.

I used to work with a softball mom. Yes, she was very dedicated- she said she wished she could come in sat to help when we were very busy- be her kids juts had a lot of games. She would try to leave eary if there was a big game and sh ewanted to see them- but she didnt go overboard. Some times she just had to go late to the game b/c we were swamped. But she did put her vacation time for traveling softball tourneys- and the management never had issues giving her time off ( she was a screen printers assistant). It was planned well in advance.

I admire her dedication, and hope her husband makes good money, and hope she can collect unemployment. B/c from a managers eye ( future manager looking to hire you) her actions seem to scream 'dont hire this person' to me.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, they already made <INSERT YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE HERE>.

It's a shitty situation for her to be put in, but yeah, letting someone go for something like that would be a common business practice. Her employer could probably use uncleared absence and insubordination as justification, even if it seems like a good reason to not be at work to us. In some places, they wouldn't even have to provide justification.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you guys are missing the ready BIG point of this conversation.

She was forced between being part of something monumental or going to work. I think it is easy to play arm chair QB, but I'd like to see you guys in that position.

Your KID and HUSBAND are going to the Little League WORLD SERIES! Something that will NEVER happen again; What do you do? skip it for work?

Come on, when we had our playoff run in HS Football, my mom took time off and went to every single one of our games. Family should always come first.:2c: 

There are just some things in life that take precedent over work. This would be one of them

(Of course, I don't know the entire context of the story as I'm sure there is probably a lot more we don't know. It cannot be this cut and dry.)

13. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Given the diverse age group in Little League and often repeat appearances by teams, I think it's quite possible her son will be there again next year.

At least she won't need to quit her job again next year though.

14. Don Juan

Don Juan Banned

I admire her dedication as well, buuuuuuuuuuuut I don't know.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Not sure if Good Mom or really stupid Mom?

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for her family and she wanted to be a part of it. Where's the harm in that? She knew the penalty in advance for taking the time off and accepted it freely. Moments like these are what makes life worth living.

17. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My objection is that the article is trying to make it appear as if she was treated unfairly. She did not "lose" her job as the headline suggests, and she was not "forced to give up her job" as the first line states. She made the decision to give up her job. The fact is, it is standard business practice to require advanced notice when deciding to take time off, and to deny vacation time if it is inconveniently scheduled.

Yes, it was a shitty decision to have to make, but in the long term she will probably be happy did made it, that I do not dispute.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Dumbass. It's hard enough to get a job nowadays. Losing one for a little league game, or any game for that matter, is fucking foolish. If she were willing to make that choice, I certainly wouldn't want her working for me.

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    At least the kid will have happy memories of the time his Mom came to his baseball game, while shivering and hungry becuase they can't afford food or heat anymore.

20. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Well you can look at it in two way really, she was an idiot for losing her job for one baseball game, or she wanted to see her kid play and she wanted to give him all her support