Most valuable/rare Marvel U.S. book?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Joey Slick, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Whirl is a Transformer.

I've always heard that the Furman issues from 65-80 are the rarest of the US Marvel run due to their relatively low print run numbers, but recently saw the TF Universe book (combines the Universe issues 1-4) go for nearly $70 on eBay.

Transformers Universe Comic Book Guide | eBay

Does anyone know if this book is scarce relative to the other US Marvel issues? I have the individual Universe issues 1-4, but being a completionist I'm tempted to find one of these also.

2. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Scarcity and demand always drive value. Unfortunately, none of the Transformers comics are particularly rare nor are they in super high demand except among collectors of Transformers comics. And if you're going for value, the Transformers Trilogy and Transformers Legends are probably more valuable, and the Dreamwave More than Meets the Eye Volume 1, is DEFINITELY more valuable.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of the original Marvel US issues are especially valuable, though you're right - the original Universe TPB tends to go for a reasonable amount of money depending on condition (though $70 seems abnormally high... these tend to go for between £10-20 on ebay).

Individual issues... issue #80 is probably the most 'desirable' so has a little premium - the most I've seen recently paid is around £20-something. Early Furman run (#56-#70ish) don't go for anymore than most of the rest of the run. Issues #71-79 maybe a little more.

Most individual issues are worth around £1 each. Even issue #1 doesn't go for much more than £5.

Marvel UK on the other hand, has had a bit of resurgence in the desirability demand. A copy of issue #1 (with original unused free gifts) went for £100 on 28th Sept. A copy of the '92 Annual went for £45 in the last 30 days. And some of the very last holiday reprint specials (circa 1993/94) have been going for silly money too.

4. kgorman79

kgorman79 WAVE POUNDER

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, the UK stuff pricing has gone nuts. I’m missing 8 issues, all below number 12 and it’s going to be very pricy.

What’s even worse is the original art. The prices there have just gone nuts recently.

5. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Marvel UK is getting ridiculous to collect; I've essentially given up.

That Universe TPB is indeed rare, but there's not much point to having it if you have the individual issues or whatever IDW book reprints them.

6. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I was surprised to learn how hard it is to get the late issues of Marvel UK. Probably as I've had a few of them since childhood. It did feel a bit weird getting my issue of 332 signed by the creative team a few years back, but on the other hand its a childhood treasure that's survived all these years and I finally got to have the creators of an item I've loved owning for years to sign it for me. So probably worth less now, but worth a hell of a lot more to me. I have a few late Marvel UK issues signed now, all framed and eventually will be up in my house.

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Comic books are inherantly worthless and treating them as commodities to be hoarded will just lead to another speculator boom and industry crash like we had in the 90s.

We're already starting to see the warning signs. Books being retired and renumbered to make new number ones. Pointless fucking crossovers and event books That happen every six months. Cheap meaningless character deaths and ressurections, all done to make noteworthy books that publishers can slap a holofoil cover on in hopes that some goon will buy 20 copies and sit on them for 20 years hoping to retire on that investment.

8. DrBango

DrBango Member

Sounds like the perfect time to have rediscovered my Marvel G1 UK comics in the loft...

• Like Like x 1