most overrated and underrated in transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Jan 9, 2012.

1. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Hmmm... The source... College brats around the world. National and international. Oh Primus, the same types that cry and scream like putzes when they can't log into their facebook... Figures...

Going to have to challenge that.

I'd classify Movie Trilogy Starscream as overrated.
    G1 Starscream from the G1 cartoon, G1 comics, IDW G1, to the Marvel UK doesn't get that much of a warm reception. In fact, everyone prefers Monkey Scream to G1 Starscream.

IDW G1 is more moderate than underrated or overrated if you noticed.

2. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I'm gonna base my over/unders not on what I've heard/read from Transfanatics, but rather from what the casual Transformers fans say.

Overrated
    • The live movies - people don't even realize that the live movies are about the worst part of the entire franchise
    • Transformers Animated - I don't hate the show or anything, but I think that Beast Wars/Machines and Prime are both much better cartoons

Underrated
    • The original animated movie - it's my favorite animated movie of all time, infinitely better than the live movies, doesn't get anywhere near the respect that it deserves
    • Transformers Prime - I think it might be the best cartoon currently airing on television
    • The original toy line - my favorite toys, never has been nor will there ever be a toy line that could top it

• Like Like x 2
  3. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

Overrated - Beast Wars. I hear a ton of people going on about how awesome Beast Wars is, yet I find myself hard pressed to call Beast Wars "Transformers". The concept is just too hard to grasp.

Underrated - WFC Starscream. I think he is the best portrayal of the character in the entire franchise, plus his voice is great.

4. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes, Transformers traveling through a temporal vortex to prehistoric Earth and taking on the forms of animals to protect themselves from all the energon on the planet, is such a hard concept to grasp. Seriously? They explain it in the first episode. Not only that, they explain in the first 5-10 minutes of said episode.

Look, I can understand people not liking the aesthetic or show, but saying the concept is just too hard to grasp is just really pushing it.

5. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

You just explained it yourself just then.

When thinking of Transformers, I never ever think of Beast Wars, because too me...it is simply not Transformers. I don't want my robots looking like deformed animals.

6. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    ^Well, I don't want my robots looking like tin foil. Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

7. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

starscream from g1 , cybertron , armda, engeron

8. The621

News Credits:
    Transformers have always been a mix of things. From cars to jets to animals to whatever you name it. The Beast Warriors can transform, right? And they're a part of the franchise, and toyline. They retain the Transformers themed subjects such as Energon or Cybertron... So they're obviously Transformers...

So they are SIMPLY Transformers...

Yet you're fine with Cassettes, Dinobots, Predacons, Sky Lynx, Trypticon, Terrorcons, Monsterbots, and Decepticon Headmasters. So what makes you say these guys aren't "deformed" or acceptable despite being obviously recognizable as robots with robotic animal alt modes?

9. Lady Autocon

Lady Autocon Miss Mustang

Overrated: Are as follows and I quote.....

DINOBOTS. I am sick of them E V E R Y W H E R E on the forum here, someone has to bring up Dinobots. "OH MY GOSH GRIMLOCK!!!!!" Shut it please. Just please? Im being nice and sayng please.

Beast wars..... Its just..not doing it for me. I never saw it but I guess for its time I was cool now.....Its just not. BWMegs is a funny voice though. Beast wars in general annoys me.

ARCEE. I mean seriously, She is NOT the only femme bot to exist. Chromia can do circles around her. Along with Slipscream and any other Femme.

Michael Bay.

Ice cream truck Twins.......They are disgraceful. In MY opinion.

Underrated:

Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. (G1)

Hot Rod/Rodimus, Bots make mistakes. Im sure Optimus had his bad days right?

G1 Bee....He could have been more. LOL. I mean that.

Barricade.

And really any bot/con that rarely gets screen time or any development.

• Like Like x 1
  10. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

Underrated or overrated?

11. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:

Okay okay calm down! We're not making THAT big a deal with them!

Well the BW MEgatron is certainly the most charming of all Megatrons.Yessssss!:ev: 

The TFP Arcee would LOVE to have a word with you on that becuase the Prime version is a LOT more tougher then you think. You're right that she's not the only fembot around and if the rest of them make more appearneces that'll be great, but she's certainly the most well known like Bumblebee is the most well known kid friendly character out there. Hate to break it to you but while Arcee's past version aren't as tough as Chromia,her Prime version on the other hand would totally OWN Chromia anyday because she can take a licking even if she's almost down for the count. She could even give Slipstream a run for her money!

I'm going white knight again for Arcee yes but it's great that at least in Prime she's actually plays a big role that's not just for plot uses like in Animated.

Those I agree on!:thumb 

12. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Overrated
    TFA
    This show sucks copius amounts of balls, heck, it can't even come up with its own theme song! I guess I could only enjoy it if I enjoyed looking at my favourite G1 characters through pokemon tinted goggles, lol! A besmirchment to the great legacy of G1.

Beast wars
    OMFG! I don't think I've ever seen anything so overrated in my life, some of the the folks talk about this show as if it was the best thing since sliced bread, as if it was manna from heaven! Absolute hogwash, fairly entertaining and nothing more, in my opinion next to insignificant if you consider the shows that were airing during it's run, Batman, Superman, X-men, Spiderman, Gargoyles and Spawn TAS's. I'm sorry, beast wars can't hold a candle to any of the afforementioned shows! Absolutely mediocre and outclassed in terms of story telling and maturity compared to those other mentioned shows (barring Spawn which is an adult so unfair to compare really)!

Devastator
    I have him and the crazydevy upgrade to him, awesome stuff, I know he's the first combiner and all but can Hasbro and third parties please stop tugging on this guy's nuts and show some other G1 combiners some love too. I want to see a crazydevy upgrades for Computron and and Abominus!

Underrated

G1 Sunbow Cartoon
    All you butthurt youngins out there, you've got to show G1 some damn respect. I think you all are just jealous your so beloved and your so called better written shows are nowhere near the phenomenon G1 was back in the days!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lady Autocon

Lady Autocon Miss Mustang

True TFP Arcee is a tougher, But her character in general just annoys me. Its like the g1 people forgot the episode with Chromia and Moonracer and Firestar oh and..ELITA ONE. Siiiighs. They just went with the femme that everyone recognized and made her more and more popular while the other femme's got snuffed. Sad sad sad..... ;A;

14. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    People like you really make me feel bad for liking G1.

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That's not true. Many people remember the other fembots other then Arcee. I mean in the Exiles book they have Override which played an important part. The same goes for Blackarachnia who is pretty much the other most famous fembot in the franchise. Even Chromia,Elita one,and Flare Up are pretty famous in their own right. Yes thye are not appeaing as often but they may start to be well known again one day so don't give up hope!:thumb 

Why do you find Arcee annoying exactly? I mean if it has to do with her past selves not doing much in terms of character and role that's understandable,but her Prime version isn't that irratating. I mean yes she has some aspects which I admit get on me but there's a good reason for that. She was tramuatized horribly which can have a major negative effect on people who had it. She originally thought that by being pushy,assertive and vengeful she'll move on but she's finding out that's not the right path of truly moving on. She's a flawed person yes but she also know if she's doing the right thing or not. She also has a conscine. I mean don't you think it's more intresting to see a fembot like the Prime Arcee who's flawed learn gradually from her mistakes then a fembot who's almost perfect but has a personalty flat as paper? There are tough female charcters that are much worse and annoying then the Prime Arcee liek Asuka Langly from Evangelion yet I'm suprised no one made any complaints about her!

Anyway if you still disagree tha'ts fine and it's your opinon and I respect it all the same. And if I was being too confrontational about it I'm sorry.

16. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    Damn must have missed that... I really liked reading some of his post...

To answer the OP's question.
    Underrated... I have to go with BM not great but not as bad as most make it out to be.

Overrated... IMO the LAM's. Entertaining sure, love that they increased the fan base but seriously not what I, as a 25+ year fan of the franchise, was hoping for.

17. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

For the more honorable the topic of "making it clear how much of a worthless piece of flesh some people are", I think the thread is starting to get a bit lost.

18. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll take the hit for getting this thread off track sorry... As such I'll try to get it back on track.

Overrated... "movieverse" toy designs. The target demographics as it were are children my nephews love having them because they are "cool" but will not play with them as they get frustrated trying to transform them. So now they sit in a box untouched.

Underrated... G1 toys. lol I know a lot of people are going to disagree and say that most G1er's overrate them due to nostalgia but from a shear toy aspect my nephews LOVE playing with mine as they CAN transform them. Most "younger" and by that I mean Beast war era and newer fans of transformers bash the "boxformers" but sometimes simpler is better.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The621

News Credits:
    Overrated:
    Tarantulas' origins as "Unicron's spawn." - This might be written in stone already. The original intent insisted that he be a descendant of the G2 Cybertronians.

The Vok - Hailed as super beings until they merged with/possessed/inhabited Tarantulas and then pwning themselves. For a bunch of enlightened Swarm rejects, these guys sure know how to botch their own inventions, endanger the existence of all life, and pwn themselves.

Underrated:
    Jhiaxus's just desserts- Does he always go through some form of divine retribution in every continuity? Sounds like Dirge's deaths.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  20. AMG

AMG Old School

Overrated:

-Transformers: Prime
    -Ultra Magnus toys that are just white Optimus Prime repaints.

Underrated:

-Beast Machines
    -R.I.D.