most overated charecter

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by megatron10824, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Slipstream...ugh.

I think Shockwave is a teensy bit overated.

2. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

optimus

3. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

From almost anything G1/80s, Optimus is the most overrated character.

If you go back and watch all the G1 cartoons and read the Marvel comics you'll see what I mean. He's about as useful as Reflector.

He does redeem himself in the Unicron Trilogy and the DW and IDW comics.

Never watched RID so can't comment on that.

4. ConeheadConvoyX

ConeheadConvoyX Banned

Optimus prime

5. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Windcharger. I can't remember him doing anything.

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah he only saved the universe from the hate plague. turned the tide of the battle at autobot city (granted he did die doing it). In fact I find it hard to find a time Optimus didn't in some way help save the day

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'd love to hear some justification as to how Optimus Prime is overrated.

Anyhoo, vote has to go to Predaking. I think the love a lot of people have for the toy has spilled over to his character, hiding the fact that he's done basically bugger all apart from occassionaly get his ass kicked.

8. AMG

AMG Old School

Animated Ultra Magnus, his biggest claim to fame was getting blasted by Starscream and trashed by Shockwave. Not very impressive for a so called Grand Commander of the Autobots.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't believe there hasn't been more calls of "Grimlock!"

Seriously, ever since Simon Furman fell in love with the Dinobot, and fanboyz everywhere followed suite, this Autobot has been nothing BUT over-rated.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Animated Megatron- He spent pretty much the whole first season as a head with no body. Nuff said.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

:lol 

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    You mean like how he does everything possible to lose the war, such as agreeing when Humans wanted him to leave the planet after seeing phoney video tapes? How he's a total dick to Hoist and others, kept the Dinobots in a closet, and how he's a total basketball hog.

The only thing that Prime did right was remind the rest of the Autobots that the Decepticons were the bad guys.

Ignoring that, he seems to have a strategy that consists entirely of sacrificing himself:

G1 Comics: Spent most of the first 10 issues as a disembodied head decorating Shockwaves plant. Kills himself over losing a video game. Kills himself to fight Unicron.

G1 Cartoon: Nearly gets killed by Laserbeak. Kills himself fighting Megatron. Kills himself again to stop the Quintessons. Kills himself yet again to merge with Vector Sigma.

G2 Comics: Tries to kill himself talking to Megatron. Kills himself fighting The Swarm.

Other Primes get killed in Armada, Energon, and the Live action movie. Even Optimus Primal gets in on the fun, dying against the Planet Buster and to stop Megatron. In AHM, he doesn't manage to die, but gets darn close and loses the Matrix.

In fact, the only Optimus that doesn't use sacrifice as a first choice was Cybertron Optimus Prime. (RiD Prime gets a double disqualification; in Car Robots he wasn't Optimus Prime, and his strategy to beat Devil Gigatron did involve self-sacrifice.)

Name one other character who dies and comes back as often as he does, let alone as an "essential" part of the plot. Given the dynasty of Primes and the whole idea of transistion, why is it that Optimus gets the special treatment of being nigh immortal? (I'm not speaking of the obvious franchise real world cashability of the Optimus Prime name, but rather in fiction.)

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

So sacrificing yourself to save others is a bad thing? REALLY?

14. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

As a leader in a warring faction? Yes.

You can't lead if you're dead. Plus there's the huge drop in moral most troops would get from seeing their commander killed.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

In before someone mentions Drift! :D 

zmog

16. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Cyclonus and Soundwave

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Making a sacrifice to end a war, to save countless others, that's great. Sacrificing yourself because you lost a video game (And to be technical, he won the video game, but cheated, so he demanded it be counted as a loss) or you couldn't think of anything better to do, not so much.

Not to mention that dying in war is one thing. Dying 7 times and still not managing to end the war is another.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I must agree on Grimlock. The dude has no leadership skills, only drama and a loud voice. And yet he is always pushed constantly as some threat to Prime. Fans adore the lumbering oaf because he has emo rage and carries a flaming sword, therefore he is a "badass". Bleh.

19. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Grimlock.

Cool toy but annoying in the G1 cartoon and absolutely terrible in the comic.

20. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Let's face it, without Optimus Prime and Megatron there would be no need for the Transformers we all love (or hate). So I don't see how either character in any form can be over-rated.

With that said, I have to say Soundwave has to be the most over-rated character. I don't see why he's as popular as he is among fan boys. He was a tool who would follow a fly to dog crap if given the chance. I don't remember him resisting Starscream's leadership when Megatron was absent. Let's face it, take away Ravage, Rumble, or Laserbeak and what is he really?!