Most/Least satisfyings endings/twists in movies or series?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Fez Findie, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Name any endings and twists in plots that either left you feeling that this just got so right or then just pissing you off or making ya say "They didn't solve anything!/That just ain't damn right!" and such that come into your minds on this thread.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Last episode of Stargate SG-1, Unending. I liked the series, and it was not a bad episode. But it was not a good series ending episode, much less a last episode. The Movies were decent, though, and make a nice ending to the show.

The ending of the 90's Spider-man cartoon series, where the whole Mary-Jane storyline was never resolved. Though apparently it was not intended to be the ending, since I heard that there was talk of a sixth series involving time travel and Jack the Ripper with Carnage.

The ending to Batman Beyond was also a bit weak, the last episode wasn't really a finale, but that was the nature of the way the show was made. Even the creators admitted in the DVD commentary that if they had a chance they would have done a different episode to give the show a "true" ending - and Justice League Unlimited certainly did that! Not only did Epilogue tie off Batman Beyond nicely, but it also gave some closure to the whole legacy of pain that stalked Batman.

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This. I hated when Spider Man ended.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    1. Seinfeld ending was very disappointing as it was hardly funny
    2. I Am Legend was just a dumb ending; the whole movie Im wondering why its titled "I am Legend" only to have the lady state in the end: "we were his legend", blah blah blah
    3.The Departed had one of the best endings Ive seen in a movie in a long time

5. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 90s X-Men series ending was rather anticlimactic. And the series ending of Blakes 7 made everything that happened up to that point for the past four seasons feel like a pointless journey to nowhere.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Most satisfying ending of a videogame I recently played: Mass Effect's final few hours

Most satisfying twist(s) of a videogame I recently played: Bioshock.

Least satisfying ending of a videogame I recently played: Halo 2

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

American Gothic and Twin Peaks. :( 

8. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The Pretender. They never solved anything with this show. Even with the movies they made to 'wrap up' the show didn't really wrap anything up. If anything they brought up even MORE questions.

Reboot. The last episode I thought did a pretty good job of wrapping up the show, despite some loose ends. Then the movies they made to wrap up those loose ends left the show in a cliff hanger situation...

Enterprise. I liked being able to see Enterprise's last mission and the formation of the Federation, but this just didn't feel like a series finale to me espechially with it being portrayed as a holodeck episode.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Blakes 7 has one of the best series endings ever, more screen entertainment needs to show that life sucks and then you die.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Worst twists?

Signs
    The Village
    Lady in the Water
    The Happening

All way too obvious "twists" that anyone with sub-average brain capacity could have figured out in the first 10 minutes of those lame movies.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ack, no kidding. I hated the way they ended that game.

I would put Halo 3's ending as one of the most satisfying VG endings I've played, though. (but not the most)

I don't watch a whoel lotta TV, or movies... and I don't play many video games, so I don't have a lot that hasn't been said.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most Satisfying Endings

- Fullmetal Alchemist - TV series ending. Took care of everything that needed to be resolved and worked thematically with the series itself.
    - Duckman - Went back and forth on whether to put this in least or most satisfying. From what I understand, the cliffhanger at the end of the last episode was done intentionally, since the creators knew the show as getting cancelled. And, since it was a bizarre twist in an already bizarre show, it worked.
    - Eureka Seven - Dragged it's feet getting there, but the last few episodes were very impressive.
    - Paranoia Agent - A bit trippy, but brought everything full circle nicely and the characters showed a lot of growth.
    - Teen Titans - A nice breather after the fast-paced action of the series. The poignant message worked within the context of the show and as away of saying goodbye to the fans of the series.

Least Satisfying Endings

- Hellsing (original anime, not Ultimate) - Nothing like an ending where the over-arching questions of the plot are completely ignored (save for some text at the end, which didn't help) in exchange for a huge fight. Sure, the manga wasn't done, but at least try to make up something coherent.
    - Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa - Not the end of the film itself, but the film as an ending for the series. Wrapped up minor plot threads that didn't need to be wrapped up and just generally didn't have the emotional impact of the TV ending. Taken on it's own, the movie is OK, but it's not a good cap to the show.
    - Euro Trip - Not usually the kind of movie I watch, but someone recommended it to me...I avoid recommendations from that person, now. The ending was totally predictable, unrealistic and stupid. I preferred the 'alternate ending' in the DVD extras.
    - Pinky, Elmyra and The Brain - Not the final episode of this series, but this whole godawful series itself as a finale to the excellent Pinky and the Brain.
    - Cowboy Bebop (series) - After how good episode 24 was, the ending was a massive let-down. I never really connected with Spike, and the episodes focusing on his subplot bored me, so I just didn't care when events went down.
    - Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV ending) - ...the hell?

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    THIS!

14. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

most:

The Usual Suspects-"and just like that...He's gone"
    Jacob's Ladder-Okay, now it all make sense.
    Char's Counterattack-That pretty much ends it right there.

Least:

Resident Evil (Second Movie)-Might have worked, had RE4 not come out.
    Silent hill-Failed retcon anyone?
    Ring 2-Yeah, Riiiight.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yeah the first Soul Reaver has that whole, "Sorry, we'd like to finish up here but we want to make another game." ending too.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good: Quantum Leap

Bad: Smallville's season finale last year and season premier this year.

17. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Really? Well I would have to agree it was a good series finale but I was disappointed he never returned home...

18. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Paradox machine in Dr Who.
    It was just..too easy...

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    What happened?

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. I felt so cheated.