Most Interesting Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

To me, a character that stands out as interesting is someone you can work into a good emotional story. Some of the tech specs from throughout the existence of Transformers stand out above the others, and I think one of them is Hound's.

Hound's fascination with humans and his adopting of Earth as the planet he considers home represents something a lot of people can relate to - feeling like you've come home to a place you've never been to. When you find comraderie and common ground among a group of strangers, or in a place you're new to. This is a theme well represented in movies, such as "Avatar" and of course all the movies Avatar ripped off. Just because it's been done many times before doesn't mean it isn't a very relatable and understandable experience.

So to Hound, Earth is Pandora. It's a place where he instantly is drawn into the culture and feels he is a kindered spirit. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved that about Hound. I thought it was interesting and inspired writing. They don't make tech specs like they used to, that much is for sure - but here's hoping for the future.

Honorable mention for Grapple, an artist at heart embroiled in an unending war in which his structures are forever being destroyed. For Trailbreaker, whose lack of self esteem is something plenty of people can relate to. And Thundercracker, whose reservations about the righteousness of the Decepticon cause is only overshadowed by his desire to be on the winning team. There was great, great stuff in those old tech specs and profiles.

So, if there are characters to whom you specifically relate to or whom you find particularly fascinating, please post your thoughts.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    ^Exactly. That's why I really wanna see a Spotlight: Trailbreaker soon. He's got such an interesting bio, but most media has pretty much left it alone.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Beast Wars Dinobot. He was with the Predacons and then left for the Maximals.Then at the end he saves the early human race and the TM 2 version helps give a way to stop Megatron from blowing up the Ark.

4. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

I always found Blackarachnia to be a very interesting character. She's had some of the most character development in the entire franchise. She started off as a typical villain who only cared for herself but eventually began to care about Silverbolt and even became a Maximal. In BM the roles were reversed and it was Blackarachnia trying to save Silverbolt and bring him back to the Maximals.
    She was one of the few characters to survive both BW and BM while having an important role in both series.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wheeljack. The old cartoon obviously wasn't able to fully explore the character, but the "mad scientist who always makes stuff that doesn't work" angle would have been a whole lot better, as Dr. Smoov and Kax Blastard videos have shown

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Dinobot.

One of the most complex and interesting Transformers characters ever written. Not to mention the stunning voice work by Scott McNeill.
    Dinobot had so many nuances to his personality - pride, rage, honour, self-loathing, humour and friendship (to name but a few!)
    Also, one of the most complete character arcs seen in a TF cartoon. The way the conclusion of that arc affected me emotionally is something I was totally unprepared for. This is not just a guy whose bio looks good on his toy packaging, this is about as close to a living, breathing, feeling Transformers character as we will probably ever get to meet.

He brought Beast Wars to life. As brilliantly well-written and lifelike as many of the other BW characters were, I always found myself missing Dinobot whenever he wasn't on screen.
    Finally, aside from the fact that he was such a realistic character, well written and well acted, the vast majority of the main plot points across the first season and a half centred around him. There is a very good reason why this guy is in the Hall of Fame.

My honourable other mentions would go to G1 Mirage and Animated Lockdown.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Generation 1 (US cartoon):

Here are just a few of mine:

I've always loved Red Alert due of his anxiety, yet he has the function and position of "Security Director". He seems pretty impressionable and sensitive, too.

I always thought Thundercracker's lack of commitment to the Decepticon cause made him very intriguing. This same thing sort of applies to Mirage as well.

Cyclonus always intrigued me with his commitment to the Decepticon cause and it's ideal. I always thought there was a LOT more to Cyclonus than we ever got to explore with him.

8. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Great thread, great opening post - covers pretty much the three I thought deserved more exploration: Thundercracker, Trailbreaker and Grapple.

On a tangent, I'll always admire the bravery of TFA to write Sentinel Prime the way they did. You could even say that TFA Prowl and Bulkhead were extensions of what we're talking about with Hound and Grapple (and Trailbreaker), respectively.

As for finding interesting: I'd say Mirage (the upper-middle-class peacenik) and Huffer (the pessimist who brings heavy loads on himself just to say 'see') are the original characters I'd have appreciated more exploration of.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Yeah, I forgot about Mirage - the aristocratic nature of his character is a good twist on someone who is hesitant to take part in the war. He sort of feels detached from it, which is great fodder for an emotional story. What would it take to get him to see that it affects everybody.

10. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

Dinobot is defenitly one of the most complex and complete transformer ever. He was a very well written "dynamic" character and went through many changes throughout the beast wars series. My Second favorite transformers to prime.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thundercracker and bluestreak never being fully committed to the war
    hound's love of earth
    mirage's aristocratic nature
    those are all i can think of at the moment, but i remember reading those and liking them

12. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it's Punch/Counterpunch. Such an underused character with such a unique position in the war. Not just a spy, he actually belongs to both factions and is almost always in the position of having to help the enemy. The angst and self-doubt the guy must go through has got to be almost crippling sometimes. I'd love a Spotlight: Punch/Counterpunch. Hopefully with his TFCC release he'll be seeing more attention soon.

13. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Bluestreak is definately one. He's funny and friendly, yet loathes the war as a whole because of how his town was destroyed.

Thundercracker and Mirage are others, neither of them are too thrilled about being in the war and have very little in common with their comrades.

One character I'd really like to see developed is Sunstreaker. He's arrogant, loves to fight and in one episode referrs to humans as inferior life forms. Why would he join the autobots?

14. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm going to echo what everyone else has said about Dinobot. I was pretty young through the beast wars (I was still in Elementary School) and everything that happened with him has stuck with me more than just about any cartoon I watched back then.

And looking back, it seems like something that hasn't happened a lot before then on a kids show, and definitely hasn't happened much afterwards.

I just rewatched "Code of Hero" again the other night, and it's still as emotionally gripping as it was all those years ago, and now I can't help but want to watch all the way through season 3 so Dinobot can finally get his complete redemption and save the day one last time.

I'll also say that Black Arachnia started out as "OOOH A GIRL TRANSFORMERS" to "BORING" to "WOW, this is actually a pretty interesting character" to "This character in a cast of already great character really shines every chance she's present."

Actually, most of the BW cast was really interesting. Megatron, Rattrap, Waspinator, Silverbolt, and Rampage are all characters that left a pretty good impression.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Dinobot is nearly the only character I liked from Beast Wars. The fact that he tolerated Rattrap the way he did makes him a saint :lol 

16. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I'm gonna say Motormaster is a criminally underused/underexplored charactor. His entire bio (almost) is centered around a competition with Optimus that exsists solely in his head. He's made himself into Primes opposite, complete with poor leadership, a bad butish attitude and dismal leadership skills. His leads a gang rather than an army, and does it through fear and bullying rather than respect. His quest for a "final confrontation" with Prime for the "king of the road" title is ridiculous because Optimus has never laid claim to the title, nor shown any intrest in it. Plus Optimus' only real concern is driving past Motormaster to get his own "final showdown" with Megatron! But through it all, somehow, Motormaster still seems to view himself as Primes equal. He'd be a laughing stock if he wasn't so damn powerful. Ya know, in an untrained, brutish sort of way.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    BW Rampage- He's a serial killer with a tortured soul, imortal spark and can feed off the pain and suffering of others. But you really felt bad for him during Transmutate when Transmutate died, he greived over her loss when no one (excluding Silverbot) else did.

G1 Wheeljack- Wheeljack is a mad scientist who always endangered the lives of him and everyone around him with most of his expirements exploding or going horribly wrong. I honestly believe he survived the 86's movie and lived to see Victory. Also his New york accent....Priceless.

RID Sideburn- The guy was a total giggalo. He fell in love with every red sports car he saw and then became a red sports car ironically. :lol 

Cybertron Ransack and Crumplezone- They're my all time favourite transformers, They're the best comedy duo you can ever have. Sorry Lugnut/Blitzwing and Dimmolisher/Snowcat.What i love about them is that it reminds me of Freak the Mighty.Ransack as the brains and Crumplezone the brawn.

IDW Drift- Some love him other hate him to death. Many will call him a Mary Sue others will call him IDW's Wolverine. Me He's not a Wolverine, He's a Deadpool. His Slam-Bam in your face charecter is awesome. I wish they'd focus less on making him a man repenting for his sins and more on being outragelously funny and can break the 4th wall, Drift would be the best transformer ever.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd love to see the continuing adventures of Brawl, Wheeljack and Windcharger, having woken up in another dimension after dying in the '86 movie. I think they'd make quite a well-balanced team and Windcharger especially could use more characterization.

19. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Hmm from G1 I would choose: Omega Supreme, because of his awesome background story with the Constructicons.

From G2 (comic): Grimlock all the way. He was so bad-ass.

Beasts Wars: Dinobot all the way.

Beasts Machines: Silverbolt.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Honestly, the more I get into G1 through guides and techs, is the more I appreciate each character. That's why I often say that I've gotten to the point now where I don't have a "favorite" character.

As for Motormaster, I couldn't have said the above better myself. I always enjoyed the little bit of that they pulled out and infused into him on the show :)  I had a hard time playing that out with my toys as a kid though. :lol 

This is one reason I enjoy things like the Mosaic project as much as I do. I'd love to see lots more done like this. The downside is that often times when things like this are done by fans, they get strange (for lack of a better word). Mosaics have gotten better, but I enjoy seeing characters develop more through action and interaction with others versus having a one page monologue about a character telling me about all of it.