Most Iconic Characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Polenicus, May 17, 2008.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    This is just because I'm kind of bored, but I'm also curious:

Many of the comics on this forum have created iconic characters. Takes on the personalities of figures that people have latched onto and have become as attached to the figures as firmly as if they were the official bios.

Obvious ones are MaoChao and Bob from Fun-ness, Megabolt and Obsidian from Shane's comics, Justice Prime from That Guy Who's Kind Of A Dick But In An Honest Drill Sergeant Kinda Way...

Who else would you flag as an iconic take, or a character who has become iconic (Basically, their version is so good it influences all the others)? And why?

My picks:

MaoChao - The first Shinki to appear in these forums, and the root cause of the Shinki infection which has spread and assimilated over half of the board. She's cute, forgiving, believes the best about everyone, and although she plays the role of damsel in distress occasionally, she can hold her own surprisingly well. She's also the reason MaoChao isn't used in many other comics... it's just impossible to conceptualize her any other way now.

Bob - Everyone's favourite Brave knockoff. A bit of a perv, but good natured and really honestly wants to help... even if he's a bit of a klutz. Though when motivated by the right girl, he's shown surprising self-sacrifice, and managed to take on even Devestator and win.

Megabolt - Chips. 'Nuff said.

Obsidian - Let's face it, in Beast Machines, Obsidian was a bit part... the stereotypical loyal henchman with the twist that he used to be Cybertron's loyal henchman... and believes he still is. Shane's taken him and expanded him into a complex character, and proceeded to develop him over the course of his story... making him a sympathetic, tragic character. Even know, about half of the board is still rooting for him to win, truly the mark of an excellent antagonist.

Justice Prime - I suspect he's the origin of the 'Optimus Prime is a Dick' jokes. How many people are willing to take an iconic, heroic character and push him to such extremes? He's like the bastard love child of General Patton and Oliver North, with some Sarge from Red vs. Blue thrown in.

Hawk - Not that he has much competition. But we root for Hawk because he's a guy caught between what's best for his men, and orders from his leader.

Incomplete Skywarp - Assuming you remember him. I think he's what really started this comic insanity. THE guy to go to if you need something random and insane.

I'm afraid I don't keep up on as many comics as I should, but those are the ones that have influenced ME the most.

So, who else deserves mention?

2. NotAnAutobot

NotAnAutobot Jus' makin' some comics..

I'd say your Hot Rod is pretty iconic, Pol. I've never seen a better Rodimus/Hot Rod character. Then again, your Strarf is pretty awesome.

And of course, there's Chaos Incarnate's Prime. Hilarious!

3. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

TCracker's "British Accent" Megatron - A completely different and hiliarious take on the usually villainous character, turning him into a proper gentleman with a penchant for tea and willing to fight in the name of good manners.

Puppylove's Mini Ops - The ultimate ambassador for cuteness, made even cuter by his enormous ego.

Dila Zirk's Nemesis Prime - The quintessential bad boy with a heart.

Coolhand's Mirage - How do you take an unlikable personality and make him cool? By giving the anti-hero plenty of witty banter and impressive skills on the battlefield.

Zudon's CamShaft - A great example of a literally faceless character with tons of personality.

Chaos Incarnate's Landmine - Death has never been funnier. Over and over again. :D 

4. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I completely agree.

And of course, your ladies-man Jazz!

5. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    right now i am trying to get my characters brokeback brody and sentinel maximus iconic, but first i need to make more comics lol, now that i have photoshop stuff will be much easier

and megabolt is my fav, along with justice prime

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Another vote for Bob:D 

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    My Snarl was (at least from what I've been told) a pretty kick-ass character, stuck in a really lame comic. For those that aren't familiar, check out "SB's 'It might be funnies.'" I doubt anyone recognizes it, though. /plug

Then there's the "LOL-gear" Spyshot. Definitely iconic. I took it and expanded on it twice... I don't read enough of the comics to know if anyone else took it out that far, too. But "LOL-gear" Spyshot (from the LOLgear thread) is definitely fairly iconic.

DA's Leader Prime with the Hasbro calling is up there, too.

Everything else has already been mentioned, I think.

With this, I need to go off and make more comics, so I can have iconic characters, too.

8. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Dila's Devastator.

Truly loyal to Galvatron, but he just wants to build things inside.

9. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Hmm... I doubt I'll be sayin' anythin' that has not been said already, but one of the greatest thing in the funnies in this forum is that there's so many characters that are not bound to either stereotypes nor automatically doing stuff just to make things go for the worse in some way or another, like just to make the Hi
    damned forced "oooh, eeeevil"-twist that an average writer thinks makes the comic automatically better.

For example DilaZirk's Galvatron with Scorponok, where after failing to do Galvy's test, he doesn't get slagged or bitchslapped, instead he's almost encouraged on keepin' with the less criminal actions, even if just to easen the load on Galvatron's shoulders on keeping his troops in order.

They act more like real people or so. I don't know how to put that in a better way.

Gotta say Megabolt (such a nice, yet a bit deranged walkin' head with the addiction that has proven contagious at times), the main (if not all) cast in DilaZirk's comics with such multi-dimensioned characters and the sincere, feel-good at right times mood of the comic in general, the commentin' trio in Grimlock_13's comic with their fourth wall breaches... gotta get better done on that at some point.

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Puppylove's mini Optimus is definitely iconic in my book.

11. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Well-Known Member

Grimlock_13's Cliffjumper, Hound and Hotshot, and many many more funny charecters.

12. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

For iconic characters, I agree with most of what DA said :) . And I really like the Bumblebees in DA's comics :D .

In Dila's comics, I think Nemesis Prime does not stand out as much as Devastator (High Five, Brawlastator! :D ), Bob, Maochao, and the Troublemaking Duo (Barricade & Frenzy). :) 

And goodness, Shane's Chip-Crazy Megabolt and Chaos's Landmine , and TCracker's BA Megatron never cease to amaze me! :lol 

For Coolhand's comics... I think Grimlock and his flashy swords stand out more than Mirage. And I like Puppylove's Starscream more than Mini Ops, though Mini Ops is still a great character ;) .

And DA's introduced my CamShaft to this thread. (*blushes..*) So far my favourite two characters are CamShaft and Slayer! :lol .

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Classsic Megabolt and Justice Prime.

And Bob!

14. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

You could pretty much pick any from Funness On A Stick and couldn't go wrong. I remember Nemi Prime being the first to really stand out for me though.

Grimlock is definately cool, but Mirage resonates with me more. He's the kind of character I find fascinating because there are so many different angles to him. Again, just my personal preference. :) 

15. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

Oh, please don't get me wrong. It was my personal preference too :) . And true, most (if not all) of Dila's comic characters have great personalities. :D 

16. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Mini Ops is the best, who else has a photoshoot with the animated voice actors?

17. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I'd say grimlock_13's Hot shot and bugbite are some(and I'll throw in my ultra magnus just for kicks :D )

18. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I can't wait until I make enough comics to stand out in a topic like this. Exciting and interesting read... I'm well aware I need to develop some of my characters more, now!

19. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I love the peanut gallery in Grimlock 13's comics. Cliffjumper, Hound and Hot Shot's comments after every strip are great. :thumb 

20. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    wow, i am amazed at how many of you mentioned mini-optimus! :D 

personally, i have great affection for shane's megabolt, DA's heroic/sweet ani prime, zudon's camshaft, dila's mao chao (of course, the cause of my collection of shinkis!), pol's strarf, and chaos' hybrid prime.

also, i totally second the love for the peanut gallery on grimlock's comic too.

i love reading the comics, and i am so glad this forum exists! nothing better than getting to sit down and read and either be awed or laugh my ass off! :lol