most expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rumsawatti, Apr 28, 2010.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    well for me its not about the price if some dumb schmuck with more cash than brains wants to grossly over pay for a TF he can never touch thats the person's call.

For mew me its about the figures being locked away in plexiglass prisons and who says the people grading your figures have any more knowledge than you do when it comes to Transformers.

I really hate seeing AFAed Combiner sets as they lose the majority of there value as a Toy and as a display piece as they can never be combined as they are meant to be.

to that end to me the AFA is a scam, a prop for collectors that feel they must have the very best example of a figure on the planet., a Reason for scalpers to do what they do, and an artificial boost for TF values that sooner or later is going to crash .

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not saying that everyone then tries to sell their stuff for 1000's, but I think it causes a general inflation of prices. I also don't have a problem with an AFA'd toy being worth more. You absolutely pay more for a guarantee of the condition you are getting. An example I can remember specifically was with a Modern Era G.I. Joe Dusty with webgear. Previously, those were little (if any) more than buying a single G.I. Joe at retail. Some guy posted his for I think about $80. I can't recall if he sold or not, but the next day there were HUNDREDS of Dustys on Ebay going for between $20 and $100. Many were being SOLD in the $30 dollar range...toys that only a few days prior would've been lucky to bring $12. It doesn't happen all of the time, and AFA isn't some "evil entity" because of it.

3. Scorpion

News Credits:
    As for most expensive. I think the teal/turquoise lucky draw Unicron is pretty high on the list

4. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

The most expensive single TF I've seen which actually get sold is the $15000 g1 misb megatron couple years ago.(AFA score makes a huge difference here because the difference between 85 and 90 is couple thousand dollars....) I'm also wondering how much the buyer can actually sell him for today.
    The most expensive TF lot I've seen which actually get sold is the famous million $$ auction which sold for $50000.

5. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

The dino casettes are a bit of a special case though. I would seriously consider AFAing them for the added protection the plastic UV ******ant box offers alone tbh.

I do have a longterm goal to have the lowest possible AFA graded figure in the world though. an actionmaster with one arm or something. that would rock.

6. Insecticon

Insecticon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Black Zarak is pretty expensive considering he is a popular character that has plastic that can disintegrate if you look at him wrong. I think I remember seeing a complete unbroken one going for a few grand.

7. chugway

aye, when you're talking about one of a handful of mint specimens still around knowing that the one you own is the best example is worth a small stack of cash to some collectors.

As i've understood the MSIB AFA hobby more, i've got a lot more respect for teh guys like da last 2 walk who own XYZ of the best examples of any given figure in the world. that's toys to be proud of.

8. chugway

although he's a great example of buying the idea of a MSIB rarity, opposed to the factory sealed box of broken plastic you're likely getting.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Do they grade anything then?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I know very little about AFA, but don't they have minimum grades and if something is deemed to fall below that level they won't/can't grade it?

Maybe I made that up... :drunk 

10. chugway

I honestly hope not :( 

they get paid regardless, so i suspect they'd grade any old shit if you were prepared to cough up the cash.

WTB: AFA playworn junker AM thundercracker.

11. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I will not debate the AFA topic, as it goes the same route as OG G1 vs. Reissues vs. KO's and so on. There is no correct answer, only opinion.

Most expensive single TF's......
    AFA 85 Piranacon Giftset sold for $15,000.00
    Unicron prototype sold at Botcon for $12,000.00

These are the headliners that I know about. If and when an AFA graded US Defensor comes on the market, it should be competitive with these 2.

Sales that I have witnessed personally.....
    MISB case fresh Fort Max for $8,000.00
    AFA-85 Megatron for $7,100.00
    CSG-9.0 Megatron for $6,500.00

I don't think any LD's have hit close to these prices. BTW.....The AFA Megatron for 15K from 4or5 years ago was not a legit sale.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Send in an '07 legends Megs for the yuks. Or ROTF Wheelie. The cost of listing either of these on eBay would be offset by the profit of hilarity.

13. Scorpion

News Credits:
    I assume this is the G1 Prototype?

14. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Yessir!!!!

15. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Think the highest luckydraw ive seen sell was the diaclone gold jazz that went for $6k+ deputy fees and after that I believe was the gold mp prime for 4500-5000 or the green unicron for 4500-5000(this one might be a bit off)

16. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I started a thread about this item:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...seacon-giftset-afa-80-qualified-10-000-a.html

I saw the AFA 95 Omega Supreme auction for $25,000. The auction was ended early though, so I don't know if it sold.

I also saw the AFA 90 Megatron sell twice. Once for $12,000 and another for $15,000.

The most I've paid for a Transformer is $4000.

All the AFA haterz can keep hatin!

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    well point me to a place that holds old vintage toys in the same lv of ammount as today toys are.

Toys that came out during the 80s or heck even older, ppl played with them they took out the toy and hade fun with it in sandboxes, roomfloors, schoolyards and so on. No one thought hey Im going to hold onto this in sealed form and grade it in the future.

Hence my point...there is just a certain ammount of MISB vintage stuff ( not only Transformers ) and these have a collector market .

Ex) We have a MISB Menasor giftset for example..one of a few in the woirld..you got 20-30 big spenders....of course it is going to get high in value.

The same as above goes for paintings, stamps, and other valuble collections. If there was mass relsed stuff then it would not get the same ammount of valuee level.

then the thing about value, that just because its 80 or 85 graded its going to be a diffrence of 500$, but hey so would if we take 2 old coins..one has a very very small damage and one that is perfect..witch is going to be the more expnsiv one??? Same thing.

ppl in here can dislike AFA as much as you want...but its no diffrent then the other collectors markets around the world. I think most of it is plain and simple jelousy that some cant own the high end TFs and in this case if AFA graded toys and they bash it insteed.

and no I dont buy AFA toys because it cost to much but I fully understand ppl who do and not only in Transformers collection worlds, but I do agree grading newly relsed stuff that come out today is just ******ed because there is another million of ppl doing the same thing...

VINTAGE is one thing.... .