Most disturbing settings, missions and moments in games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Arbitron, May 21, 2012.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Dead Space 2 managed the impossible and was even creepier!

Sums it up quite well.

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Ravenholm... *shudders*

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

oh god! oh god help me! my icing! rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

4. TK458

TK458 Assassino!

Oooooooh yeah. XC That place kept you on your toes!
    *Backs into a corner "DIE DIE!"
    *Starts getting beaten from behind"What the- *dies
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

Another spooky place? The Holding Cells in FEAR 2. Yeah the one with the fragged up kids. >.< Place gave me nightmares.

5. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

6. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    I was even more shocked when I found out that Darkengard and Nier are related to each other

7. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
  8. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Ravenholme: For a while I forgot I was playing a game about scifi and aliens. Too busy trying not to die at the hands of poison headcrabs, and NINJA ZOMBIES!

The GFS Valhalla in Metroid Prime 3: A dead ship, the sight of a total slaughter in space, dead GF troops and Space Pirates everywhere, some places don't have atmosphere. You see someone standing and they turn to dust when you touch them, and you just KNOW that means Metroids ahead. Yeah the whole thing's become a metroid nest. Metroids that can pass through walls no less. But not as creepy as.

The Space Prirate science station in Phendrana from Metroid Prime: Not so bad going in. Nice well behaved metroids under glass, the space pirates aren't too sneaky. And then you have to cut the power, let the metroids loose, and find your way out in the dark and the pirates know you're there.

The Island in Resident Evil 4: You've had a wide open village, a fairly open castle with lots of hiding spots, but now things get clostrophobic. Once you get pas the rush of Ganados to get inside you're nothing near safe. Now you're in cramped hallways with regenerators waiting to ambush you, and the only thing that kills them is a weapon meant for long range sniping, that you're going to have to use at about five feet away from something fast approaching with the intent of eating your face.

Magus' Castle in Chrono Trigger: Creepy amelodic music plays. Noise really, as the level just messes with your head, with familiar characters showing up and turning into monsters, children turning into demons, and skeletons begging you to put them out of their misery.

Bottom of the Well from Zelda OoT: Not the shadow temple, THIS is the creepiest area, with no lense of truth to find out where the false walls, missing floors, and trapped chests are. It also just happens to be full of redeads and that freaky long necked thing at the end.

The Vila from Castlevania 64: Say what you will about this game, but this particular area had genuinely creepy atmosphere. You go from tearng through skeletons and jumping puzzles in the previous level to instead wandering around an empty mansion searching for clues, while the gravestones and journals hint at a tragedy that took place before, and meanwhile a vampire is stalking you. It's where the plot actually starts to move as you meet most of the game's significant cast, and then to top it off you get chased by chainsaw wielding Frankenstein.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with these. I think Castlevania 64 gets too bad a rep, but back in the day it actually wasn't bad and got reviewed pretty favorably. The vila was probably the best area.

The Regenerators from RE 4 have to be the creepiest monster the series produced.

The bottom of the well was out-of-place creepy for Zelda, not that I'm complaining.

10. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    surprised no one has mentioned giygas in earthbound. am i the only one?

11. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Not disturbing as far as scary , but the one that stuck with me the most was the 1st Battle of Stalingrad mission in the original Call of Duty. Starting off cramped in a little barge, and when the Nazi soldiers started firing at us, any men that jumped overboard we shot by their own commanding officers.

Then getting onto the shore and finding all I had was ammo. No gun, just ammo. I had to wait for someone to get cut down before I was able to pick up a weapon to use. It just stuck with me how realistic that part was, and what those real men must have gone through at that time.

12. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno about anyone else, but i thought The Suffering was pretty distrurbing. And messed up. The whole game.

13. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Dark Aether in Metroid Prime 2. Later in the game you become such a walking tank that nothing seems scary anymore, but before you get the dark suit, you have to stay in small light bubbles, or your health drops rapidly. It doesn't help that the enemies are much more powerful there than on Light Aether.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Amnesia, the Dark Descent

The Dead Space Trilogy (Don't forget Extraction people!) had their moments.

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

"A man chooses, a slave obeys" in Bioshock.

16. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Dead Space 1 and 2 , freaky..I also thought Alan Wake as a whole had a nice undercurrent of 'wrongness' constantly lurking even when things appeared to be relatively normal, and the more blatantly horror-ish sections in the forests were particularly threatening (you never felt safe/alone) and definitely evoked a nostalgic Steven King feel that added that bit extra to the game.

17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This isn't a scary kind of disturbing, but there are two instances in Dark Souls that really knock a sense of mood and setting into you.

First is Anor Londo, the capital city of Lordran. Here is a beautiful sunlit city with high towers and architecture fit for gods...but when you're in there, the place is deserted, filled only with things that intend to kill you without hesitation. It's like it was built, inhabited for a time with friendlier people...and then abandoned overnight. Tables and chairs are still all over the place, nothing is looted, and beds are made and kept as if the city expects everyone to return.

The city of New Londo is next. Due to an event in the past lore of the game story, the entire city was sacrificed to save the rest of humanity. It was sealed up and flooded, and you are required to drain the city of the flood waters. When you do, the city is haunted by the tortured ghosts of it's inhabitants bent on killing you, and the floor is littered with bones. On the ground floor though, thousands of dead bodies, the drowned inhabitants of the city, form the floor of it. There, even nastier things you encounter, such as a gelatinous mass of souls bent only on the death of all living things.

I love Dark Souls so much.

18. DroidsBane

DroidsBane Bonkles FTW

The dead Reaper mission in Mass Effect 2, the unsettling quietness, and the videos showing the scientists losing their mind, and that speech "Even dead Gods dream".

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    The Meat King's Party from Hitman Contracts.

A BDSM fetish party inside a working slaughterhouse, with a horriffically murdered teenage girl hanging from the roof whilst a half naked guy dances to Paul Anka's "Put your head on my shoulder".

I gotta install Contracts again. Most atmospheric game I've ever seen.

20. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    That necrophiliac grave-defiler Seth from Red Dead Redemption.
    The old guy who asked John Marston to gather specific types of flowers to present to his wife, who's already been dead & left rotten inside their little shack.
    The old lady in wedding gown who's sitting near a church and asked John Marston to find her long-lost husband. Turns out he was dead for decades.

And some of the side missions are quite disturbing too.