Most Disappointing Botcon yet?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Mastodon, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

In terms of product reveals? It's like nothing really new was released. What do y'all think?

2. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

Well, all the 3rd party figures were pretty awesome. I will get most of them.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

It was great for Prime, which was what I was looking forward to most. Movie, yeah, it was pretty lackluster, but some of those Cyberverse toys kicked ass.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

Not news or rumor.

But a fairly disappointing product reveal yes.

5. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Not a lot of new stuff shown, but otherwise, probably one of the coolest botcons yet in tersm of displays and events and stuff

6. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    this gives me high hopes for TFCON! after the movie comes out we should get some awesome toy reveals!

7. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Seeing as how I'm generally only in it for the CHUG stuff, yeah, the reveals were a little on the lame side. But still...Action Master Thundercracker!!!

8. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Yeah, it was pritty weak, I thought it would have been a bigger everything, maybe even showed the movie, but nothing I thought it would have, toys revealed, weak, just all around I would have been disapointed if I had gone....

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it kinda was. I don't uderstand the lack of new reveals.

10. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never having been to a Botcon, from an outsider looking in via this board, Botcon's that happen around movie releases tend to suck. Coincidence, maybe? But I suppose the Botcon around the first Bay movie was hype because it was new and fresh, and people wanted to see how the look of the Bay-verse formers would look as toys. But now that we know the aesthetic, it presents a lackluster showing. Especially considering most figures will back and looking the same (with minor tweaks) ie Prime, BB, Ratchet, Ironhide, Starscream, etc etc.

In all honesty, on thing that I feel has been Hasbro's biggest mistake is this CHUG bs. Drop all of the names, call it Transformers Generations, and make THAT the line that runs all the time! You never know what could show up in it. Beast Wars, Cybertron, Armada, R.I.D, Classics, Alternator, ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! The world of TF's is pretty vast, and imagine the hype that would be built if at Botcon we saw upcoming waves of the Transformers Generations line. (like DCUC or Marvel Legends) TF Generations wave 1, 2, 3 etc.

That would bring the hype back to botcon. IMO

11. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yawn... iGear 1 / Hasbro 0 on the old interest-o-meter.

But then again, a few Generations toys notwithstanding, Botcon is always a let down for me. Less than zero interest in the movie and, to be fair, I haven't really cared that much about any Hasbro line since Alternators finished.

Hard to get excited about a new "Masterpiece" when I've owned the Takara version for months in advance and yet that's probably the best news that's come out of this weekend.

As I said... Yawn.

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm surprised that lack of product reveals would determine if a con is disappointing or not.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Yeah, it kinda was. I mean, I understand why so little was revealed, but still...

14. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    You all know that there is another Hasbro panel in a few hours right?

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'm happy with Prime reveals - can't wait for those toys.

16. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I don't exactly see how you think changing the name of one of their lines will rejuvenate Botcon.

It doesn't even need rejuvenation. This year was just a lackluster year (So far. Today is the day we usually see the big Hasbro panel). Last year and the year before were pretty damn fantastic.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    BotCon 2011 seems fine to me. Seems like people tend to say "X is the worst BotCon yet" if it happens to be a year when there's not much toy reveals for their particular favourite series.

Pretty sure BotCon 2007 was totally awesome for two big reasons: people got to see the movie with lots of fellow fans and the Hasbro tour. The Movie toys had already been out for at least a month by that point.

As for the variously named lines that consist mainly of G1 updates , I'm pretty sure Hasbro have their reasons that we probably don't understand for doing what they do. Because they run a successful toy company, and we don't.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Quick, someone call:

[​IMG]

19. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I think it also has to do with the proximity to comicon - surprisingly, I actually get the feeling they are trying to NOT show off everything before the movie comes out (mirage/Dino, Wheeljack/Que,etc)

Maybe there will be a couple surprises.

I am also confused that they'd confirm Generations is continuing, but give basically ZERO DETAILS. (there is basically the rest of the years worth of waves in just instruction-manual teased remolds and obvious repaints)

But yeah, very disappointing IMHO. also the 3rd year in a row I've been VERY disappointed in the exclusives...

20. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    How else can I say it,

No DOTM Leader Class Decepticon

No DOTM Deluxe Wheeljack/Q

No DOTM Deluxe Mirage/Dino

No DOTM Deluxe Soundwave

No pictures DOTM Human Alliance Soundwave

Decepticon Bank Truck has been cut

Silverbolt has been cut

Take your pick, I've got more.