Customs: Most difficult figure to mod?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by underwear-ninja, May 19, 2010.

1. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Kitbashing involves modifying, taking apart, and customizing our favorite little toys- but sometimes this isn't very easy. What's been the most difficult figure you've had to modify for any purpose?

After a long, illness related absence (basically my old work area had worse ventilation that I thought, durhur) I'm finally, slowly getting back into kitbashing. For my first big project I'm working with Energon Bulkhead... and hating it. The guy has a lot of ratchet joints, and his pieces have odd proportions to them that make it hard to fit in with other parts (I just spent two hours sanding new pieces to make sure the Bulkhead pieces would fit) not too mention being a copter means there's not much room for kibble to hide. I often find myself trying to debate if I should be more concerned with the aesthetics or a better use of space with this guy, oy...

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've had a lot of involved 'bashes in recent months (most are still in the WIP stages). I'd have to say my Universe Scourge custom from last summer (it placed 3rd in the Sector70 Scourge contest) and right now, I'm working on a Universe-styled Galvatron. This sucker is taking a lot of patience, styrene, cutting, building, and just plain love to get just right. I wouldn't say it's insanely hard or impossible, but there's a lot of work I've put into it so far and it's only around the halfway point or so. I did Scourge from a Universe Cyclonus, tons of styrene, a 2-pack Classics Megatron head, and Titanium Scourge wings with some odd parts thrown in from other bots. As for Galvatron, I've used a Universe Springer, tons of styrene, cutting, building, and some old medication bottles I've held onto for this project. Aside from these, I'd have to say the custom heads I've been building for all of my 'bashes--I use thin sheet styrene to build more G1-styled heads and so far, I'm enjoying it and everyone seems to really like them.

Can't wait to see what you're working on, man. Good luck with it! I had a possible custom planned for Energon Quickstrike (same mold as Bulkhead, right?), but I haven't gone beyond early planning. Are you doing a Springer from it? I had a nice car mode planned with that mold and tons of building planned, but haven't decided if I'll do it or not. I'm considering using the Cybertron mold that matches the one I'm using on Galvatron for a Springer. Just not sure what I'll do for the car mode. Maybe I'll finish some stuff up and plan it out more.

Hang in there and keep at it, bro.

3. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

I'm doing one of Whirl, but I'm re-working how he transforms to cut down on bulkiness. As much as I like the Bulkhead figure, I found the copter mode to be a kibble-ridden mess. I need to find a propeller though. My junker didn't have one- that's another difficulty, grr.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Oh god. Without a doubt it has to be my Fallen's Force custom. It's still sitting around in a pile of junk because every joint i use won't hold up it's own weight. F***. Might have to trash a Unicron, sadly. And Primus. And possibly something else that's big and strong.

Not sure if this qualifies or not, any one of the reshells i've done (i'm yet to post them, aside from the first one), has to be an annoying and utterly soul destroying experience. It just keeps getting harder.

Hey punk, mind showing us the Quickstrike (it is the same as that god awful Bulkhead) car mode?

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Haven't really worked on it, Treadshot. I can try to explain though. I basically took off the chest/window section and planned to build a Springer chest completely from styrene, then have it hinged to fold up and down. I also planned to build (from styrene) the wheel wells over the shoulders and I had planned for the legs to transform differently and be almost completely rebuilt from styrene. This would be more of a Cybertronian hover car--basically not your typical car with wheels. I still have plans to possibly attempt this, but I'm not sure when. I've been considering a switch to another mold to do something similar.

I know it will be a huge build, so I'm working on finishing my new Galvatron custom first, then maybe tackle something like this.