Moruning the Dead

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RoastDude, Jul 9, 2009.

1. RoastDude

RoastDude Constructicon

Now, as you may remember (or not), there was a little scene in the first TF movie in which the Autobots mourned for Jazz, though it was a bit underdeveloped, it was there nevertheless. EDIT: Okay it just sucked.

"We lost a great comrade today, we'll miss you...Blues."
    "His name was JAZZ, Prime."
    "Whatever."

Credit to tfwiki for the joke.

Now, for ROTF. If I remember correctly, two of the Arcee sisters, plus Jetfire (I think he counts) died in the film. There was no mention of their deaths in the later dialogues.

My hypothesis is that the new characters were less close to the Autobots than Jazz, who was considered an old comrade; but it seems very unlikely for the Autobots. I know it was brobably because of time issues, but couldn't they have at least slipped in a sentence or two?

What do you think?

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Clearly the marooned dead were left on a desert island.

3. newguy

newguy i

"We will miss you Jazz" *throws in ocean*

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that the ending was rushed and there was no time to even recap the deaths. Look how short the closing scene was compared to TF1. I'm sure it was all cut for time.

5. Darth Prime 501

Darth Prime 501 Decepticon

exactly

6. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

I don't think the part of the brain that processes mourning and comprehends the solemnity of loss has developed sufficiently in Michael Bay's brain, to be honest. Have we forgotten his sadistic glee in announcing that he'd kill off two of the Arcee sisters?

This is a man who does not understand how soldiers actually mourn their fallen comrades. No, this is a man who doesn't understand how ANYONE mourns the dead. Optimus cradled Jazz like a baby and after a quick mention of his passing, ignored him completely. HE WAS HOLDING A FUCKING CORPSE FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

One could argue that these are machines, but really, they show every other kind of emotion (in the off chance the camera isn't focusing on some filthy organic) but mourning is totally beyond their grasp? No.

OMG OMG OMG SOMEONE WHO ISN'T SUCKING OFF THE MOVIE! SOMEONE WITH AN OPINION FORMED AFTER SUFFICIENT CONSIDERATION. IN SUMMATION: HATER!!

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everybody got pissed at Jetfire as he was an whining old fart - no need for simpathy.
    As for the Arcee bikes, do we actually see them getting destroyed or something? All I saw was a couple of Arcees getting shot. If you're going to assume they died because of the shots, then Ironhide is also dead since he had a hole in his chest the last time we saw him.

8. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Michael Bay had said in some interview a ways back that he hated the Arcee design so much he wanted to kill her off, or he was glad that they killed her off--can't remember the precise quote or the article. So while we only really see her and her sis taking a bad hit, everyone is noting them as dead due to that statement.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think the lack of mourning scenes is for the same reason we saw a moment of mourning for Prime in the '86 movie, but none for Ironhide, Prowl, Ratchet, Wheeljack, etc. It would take too much screen time to mourn them all, so you mourn the most important one, and everyone else will just have to be mourned off-screen.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The irony of course was there was not one scene where the Autobots clearly mourned their fallen leader...after he was dropped from about thirty feet above the ground.

11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another problem is, why wouod you mourn the Arcee bikes? Bay completely drained them of any characterization or screentime in favor of the Twins. So why would you care what happened, if we didn't even see their character? At least Jazz had some development as a leiutenant who cared for his comrades and was also cool. The only Autobots who were really developed were Prime, Bumblebee, Jetfire, Wheelie, and to an extent, Ironhide. The Twins making the same dumbass comments over and over is not development. Sideswipe, Arcee, and Jolt (somewhat understandably) got nothing, and the only reason you might know Ratchet is because of TF1.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was sad to see no mourning for poor Jetfire. Still, his spark wasnt destroyed, only removed from his body.

ZOMG Jetfire is returning in TF3. jklulz

13. RedAssAg05

RedAssAg05 Well-Known Member

I watched the movie a second time and I think the fate of the pink and purple Arcees is vague. Two get shot, one definitely in the chest, but what you don't see is the blue sparks that seem to signify the destruction of a transformer's...well, spark. It was seen in the first movie as well, with Blackout especially.

Again, taking visual cues the purple one takes a hit to her right shoulder it looks like, and immediately goes down. The pink one takes a center-mass hit and you see pink armor parts flying off, but even as she goes down the core appears to remain intact.

It's inconclusive, especially just basing it off of visual effects (and you see blue 'bleeding' from Jetfire after his fight with Skorponok up until he pulls what is allegedly his spark, which appears to be intact). I guess my point is, their fate is uncertain and I suppose it'll be up to the writers of TF3 to tell us whether they made it or not.

So I guess I'm agreeing here, having a small scene taking stock of their losses. Considering the scene early on where NEST is saluting their fallen comrades as their coffins are taken off the -17, a brief scene with the Autobots honoring their fallen would actually have been a nice bookend. Humans are dying in this war...and so are Autobots.

14. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    "We lost a great comrade..." *toss*

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Technically, Optimus wasn't dead, he was just in some sort of severe stasis lock.

However, i suppose that due to time constraints, scenes weren't filmed.

16. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Yeah, jazz death was wasted, but in ROTF they killed Prime and the autobots showed no emotion for that, a total waste of what could've been an epic scene.