Mortal Kombat 8 to look like Gears of War?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Feb 6, 2007.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i wonder if this is just for the Konquest mode, or the entire game.

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

But will it finally have a fighting system that can actually challenge the Capcom and SNK games of yore?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    of course not.

4. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i read somewhere that MK: Armageddon was supposed to be the LAST mortal kombat game....

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Then one can only hope for some truly great, realistically exaggerated gore.

6. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Give me back my Killer Instinct and we have a game fella's.
    COMBO BREAKERRRRRRRRRRR I guarantee a sell out. I shouldnt let out my secrets.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Specifically, last of the continuity. They also said that they plan to continue making them, but intend to do a full housecleaning and new build from the ground up, both engine-wise and story/character-wise.

Personally would rather see them focus purely on an awesome engine + fatalities + create-a-character, but I have an attraction to create modes. :D 

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'll be interested to see if the new gen MK games follow the repeated pattern of slightly dodgey first attempt (MK, MK4), getting it right (MK2, MKDA), more features (MK3, MKD) and unplayable compilation game (MKT, MKA).

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I don't think he means its gonna look just like Gears. I think he just wants that detail to the backdrops and the "Destroyed Beauty" theme. I'm expecting the game to play more like Tekken. Hopefully they have a decent story too because most recent "fantasy" fighters just fail miserably.

It is gonna run on Unreal Engine 3 so they should be able to mimmick it pretty well.

Also Midway's plan was for there to be a yearly Mortal Kombat game. Saying that the fighting games would most likley be every other year while the off years would be filled with offshoots (like MK: Shoalin Monks which I loved and wished was 360 comaptable).

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I would like to see a new maximum shader use MK game but they need new animators and preferebly a new character design team and multiple costume choices from the start like in the SC series.

11. gil

gil Godmaster

Every game designer should think their game should look like Gears of War. If it's not that pretty, then it's not really "next gen".

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For the new MK I hope they make a create a fighter mode that if something is in the game you can use it for your custom fighter, the lack of this anoyed me on MKA. Other aspects I'll hold off judgement for the game itself. I didn't even mind the create a fatality thing they did.

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i didnt realise people still played mortal kombat. series kinda went off the rails after mk1 for me.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I felt Create-A-Fatality was a bust for two big reasons, myself.

-Struck me as a blatant way to get around making 50-60 unique fatality scenes

-Inputting an awesome CAF button sequence = not getting to actually -watch- it, half the time. Concentrating on button combos causes me to not really get a clear view of what's going on, sorta thing. Wasn't as cool as watching something wacky and violent play out. Would have preferred some kinda cutscene-maker instead.

Though on the plus side: It finally added in the simple, Chong Li-badassish neck snap.

15. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

Why do they talk about xbox? Gears of War was made by EpicGames not Microsoft

Jeez

16. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

It was published by MS and I'm sure they sent a lot of money and MS R&D guys their way for it as well. Plus its just an Xbox news site, the interview actually came from Game Informer and they quoted it since the next MK game is due on 360 and they found that to be relevant news for their fans.