"Mormon Meets the Eye" (A Musical Parody!)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Repugnus, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    "Mormon Meets the Eye" (A Musical Parody!) -Updated 4-26 w/ more photos!

I know I don't post much on this site, but I've been working on something pretty cool that I'd like to share with the online fan community! A while back the owner/producer at a local melodrama theater I'm involved with approached me about writing and directing a musical parody based on Michael Bay's Transformers movie franchise (I've got a bit of a reputation as a TF geek among the Salt Lake City theatre community, and they had a great run with a play I wrote for them about a year and a half ago, so I guess it was a no-brainer).

After months of hard work, it's finally scheduled to open it's run this Friday, and so I figured this would be a good opportunity to share with you guys some pictures from our new show:

"Transmorfers: Mormon Meets the Eye"!!

(And yes, I realize that "Transmorfers" is pronounced the same as "Transmorphers," the horrible straight to DVD rip-off movie, but the producer was the one who decided on the title, so that's the one thing I didn't really have a say in. And if you're wondering about the "Mormon" pun, it's 'cause the concept of the parody is that the TF's have invaded Salt Lake City, Utah.)

So without (much) further ado, here's the poster, along with some promotional pics we made. The costumes aren't finished in these photos, but I still think that even as they are here, our costumer has done a spectacular job! We quickly discovered that cardboard wasn't nearly durable enough for our purposes, so he had to get super creative finding other materials to use instead. Also, as a side note, that's me dressed up as the Bumblebee character:

[​IMG]

Our "Transmorfers" insignia was designed by the guy playing the parody of Optimus. It's based off of the logo for the theater it's being performed at. Here, for fun (and to use as a placeholder in our .pdf files until the poster was finished) I slapped on a metal texture, made it red, and tossed on a title based off the look of the '07 movie's posters.

[​IMG]

And now for the photos we sent to the press:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For this next one, I tried to get the photographer to do this kinda like Don's illustration for the old DW ongoing where Prime faces off against Starscream with Megatron in the background (c'mon, you guys know the one I'm talking about), but I don't think she quite got what I was saying, hence the majorly obscured giant head cutout:

[​IMG]

I threw together this last one as a joke on the "Mormon Meets the Eye" subtitle to try and make them look like missionaries going door-to-door. It's kind of a rush job (the perspectives on the name tags are way off, and I had to shop in the same tie on both of them), but it's still good for a laugh:

[​IMG]

So what do you guys think?
    :D 

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Who that Decepticon fight Prime is that Starscream?

3. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    Wow, I'd better see that on youtube or something, that looks awesome!

4. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, when is it coming on tour?

That looks really cool. Wish I lived in Utah.

5. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

Looks really good. Unfortunately I'm in Canada, or else I'd go and see it.

6. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

Haha, looks like great fun :D 

7. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Yup! Or rather, it's the character who is a parody version of Starscream. Because it's a spoof, we obviously couldn't use the actual characters names, so they've all been changed.

I'd like to put at least part of it up on youtube at some point, but I obviously can't post the whole thing since the theater is trying to sell tickets, and that would be giving away their product for free. But who knows, maybe after the show closes I can post the whole thing. One of the members of our tech crew recently posted about a minute from one of the musical numbers on facebook, but it was from a rehearsal and was recorded on her cell phone camcorder, so the quality is rather poor and the costumes, lights, and sound are all incomplete, so I'll refrain from posting that for the moment.

Man, I wish we could take it on tour, but we just don't have the resources or budget. Although there will be a performance the Monday before Botcon, and so I'm thinking of asking the producer if we can set up a special discounted ticket price for Botcon attendees who are road-tripping through Utah on their way to California. Not that there would necessarily be any, but y'know, just in case.

But anyway, opening weekend was a HUGE success! We had great audiences, and they ate it all up! And now that all the hard work from rehearsals are done with, it's gonna be an absolute blast from here on out!

Here are some more photos. This time they were taken from our final dress rehearsal this past Thursday. First up, here are a few highlights from one of the earlier scenes in the show, seen in chronological order:

To start off, our intrepid hero, Stan Wishwashy, discovers that he's being chased by a suspicious looking military jet!

[​IMG]

Then things go from bad to worse!

[​IMG]

Stan's car transforms, but is no match for the evil robot!

[​IMG]

Fortunately, a familiar looking big rig truck shows up to save the day! (Note: I don't know why the stripe on the side of the cab section got painted blue instead of white on the truck prop, but the costumer/prop master made up for it by adding a bumper sticker that reads, "How's my Driving? I will run you off the road if you say, "Bad." Sure, only the front two rows would be able to read it, but it's still fun.)

[​IMG]

They've got the touch!

[​IMG]

And of course, since it's a musical parody, it's not enough for them to simply save the day. No, not by a long shot. They've also got to sing a goofy song about it as well. And if they're gonna sing, then they might as well dance too!

[​IMG]

And now here's a couple more random photos.

Just like in the Michael Bay movie, our play opens up with Marines being ambushed in the Middle East, but instead of being infiltrated by a helicopter, they stumble across a cassette tape player. After all, as we all learned from the old G1 cartoon, there's nothing suspicious about finding a boom box out in the middle of nowhere.

[​IMG]

And finally, in one of the more surreal scenes in the play, the good guys seek out help from other 80's cartoon icons. Here's our version of He-Man. Er, I mean, Prince Adam!

Please note that the following photo is not for those with a weak constitution.

You've been warned.

[​IMG]

So there ya go. I might post some more photos later if I get a chance. I hope you all like 'em!

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    XD

Glad you're having fun with this, looks like a great time.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Needs a DVD release. :p