More transformer depth to TF1 than ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by sharpy39, Apr 8, 2011.

1. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits:
    I was recently watching the original Transformers live action movie and realised the intensity and depth of each and every robot character in the film.

It encouraged me to create a video for Dailymotion (because Youtube took it down) exclusively to promote how much screen time a diverse amount of Transformers (both Autobot and Decepticon) get in the first instalment of Bay's creation.

Unlike in ROTF, a range of characters have plenty of lines - with the likes of Ironhide and Ratchet for the Autobots and Blackout, Frenzy and Barricade for the Decepticons playing major parts in the creation of the storyline.

Please take some time to watch my video and indulge in the might of the far superior cast of TF1. Here's hoping for more of the same in the mouth water-ingly anticipated third movie - Dark of the Moon.

Find the video here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xi1dq6_transformers-2007-autobots-and-decepticons_shortfilms

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If anything, there will be even less depth to the characters in DOTM, due to the sheer amount of them. You can't have that many characters and give them all lines beyond the occasional swear.
    And by the way, your video's been blocked.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While I would have to disagree that the characters had lots of character depth in the first film I do totally agree that there was far more character to the robots in the first film.

With so many moments outside of combat it seems like the robots had more time to interact with each other and the human cast. Barricade is able to grill Sam for information, Ratchet and Ironhide are able to talk in the backyard, and other nice moments that weren't just shooting or fighting.

Hard to say what the third film will be like, but we can always keep our fingers crossed that the Autobots and Decepticons do more than just silently fight during their screen time.

4. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

pity the video has been blocked. and who the heck is WMG?

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This. As much as us fans (including myself) claim to want "action" and "explosions" with the robots, I think that really, we just want robots. Robots doing something. Plain and simple, the robots. Doesn't have to be fighting and blowing stuff up, but even just speaking to each other. Addressing each other and whatnot. Fighting is cool and all, but you know what's even cooler? Seeing these massive CG characters interact with other Transformers and humans like characters. This promotes them from just being "mindless CG set pieces meant to blow stuff up". That's why the Autobots' conversation at the Griffith Observatory in the first film and the Decepticons on the Nemesis ship in RotF stand out as some of the best Transformers-related scenes to date. They are interacting. They are characters. Emotion, depth, story-telling. If it meant more robot-to-robot interaction, I'd be okay with DotM having slightly less wham-bang action, and more of, say, Sentinel speaking to Optimus, Sam interacting with 'Bee and Sideswipe, Starscream grovelling before Megatron's raised hand. :)  Because like I said, all we want is robots (when it comes to the robots vs. action-debate).

6. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

WMG = Warner Music Group

If you upload a video which features their music, they'll either force Youtube to take the video down, or mute the audio portion of it. Bummer dude.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I disagree. There was far more depth in ROTF than in TF1.

8. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

I would say that there were equal amounts of depth in both movies, but ROTF fleshed them out with pretty shallow character traits. In movie 1, the main autobot characters were characterized as being focused and professional soldiers. In movie 2 we got farting Autobots, senile Autobots, "gangsta" Autobots, leg-humping Autobots, etc.

9. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I think you're right, it was just the guys we didn't want to see it from. Skids and Mudflap for example. We got to know Megatron a little better and we learned that in the end Starscream is a coward. We really didn't know squat about the Decepticons in the first film. We don't meet any other than Barricade and Frenzy til the final battle.

10. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits:
    Oh man, it took me an age to make that video as well. If anybody wants to take a look, just comment on this thread and I'll send you an e-mail or something.

It's nice still to have a discussion though, even without the video.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is why there should not have been more than six Cybertronians featured per side.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I said the same thing during movie one.

But people demanded more robots, bigger battles. They got it.

Then all of a sudden people wanted less robots.

13. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits: