More than Meets the Optics

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shockwave1138, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Shockwave1138

Shockwave1138 Multi-changer

News Credits:
    While I'm here, I'll also throw out something I noticed.

Everyone's got unique optic designs, but to the best of my knowledge, there is one difference between autobot and decepticon optics, aside from the colors of course! :p 

It appears that while the autobots have "bare" optics, the decepticons have "protected" optics, with a lens or something overtop. The closest in-between is Knockout, who's optics are the most visible of the 'cons, but they are definitely behind some "shades". Definitely makes sense for the "military" 'cons to protect their optics.

Did anybody else notice?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Why do people call them optics? They're eyes.

I think the "lens" eyes are to make the Decepticons look less relatably robotic.

3. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

They call them Optics because that's what Cybertronians call their eyes most of the time.

For instance: "Prime... I'll rip out your Optics!" Megatron from the 1986 movie.

4. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Interesting observation. I hadn't really noticed that, but I think you're right. In the observation anyway.

5. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

I love how different all the eyes are in this series. So far, they're all unique.

It's little details like that that make me really love this series.

6. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure what you mean by the optics being protected. Still, the animators deserve a lot of praise for the eyes. They are all very emotional.

Except when they pull a Derpy Hooves and have lazy optics.

7. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what's different, I'm such a :dunce  the bots use more of an open camera design

8. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

I think it's just flavor as to why people call the eyes "optics". The same reason the shows can replace human body parts with "servos", "gears", and other mechanical analogs. Like someone mentioned, Megatron himself used the term. I use both. When I'm referring to them in real life, I use the term "eyes", but I've always liked Cybertronians themselves using the word "optics" just as a bit of cultural flavor.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The Cybertronians call their eyes 'optics'. I call their eyes 'eyes'.

I know the Movie-verse and Prime are separate continuities. But I can't help but think of that part in DOTM where Lennox and his comrades blind Barricade and his protoform henchmen by sniping their eyes. Perhaps the Decepticons' eyes are a weak spot of sorts, and these lens covers are a form of protection - that only the Decepticons wear lens covers might mean that this weak spot is perhaps something unique to the Decepticons.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well either that, or maybe they're just smart enough to put on their safety glasses when they come into work.

... at least they better be, now that they've seen what happened to Breakdown.

11. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

Great observation! While I had noticed the individuality of all of the 'bot's "optical lenses":confused2  I hadn't made the connection that almost all of the Decepticon's stylized "optics" seem to have additional protective coverings before; and I do like such a notion, particularly because it further elucidates the different mores between the 'Cons and Autobots. What with the Decepticons being a more military centered group and the Autobots, though certainly battle hardened in their own right, have a more civilian turned soldier by necessity feel. But if we are going to use the movie-verse as any sort of reference and take the Decepticon's "optics" as a vulnerability, then by that same logic shouldn't it also be a weak spot for the Autobots as well, who don't even have such protective coverings? I feel it might be odd that being of the same origin/ species they would have different biological weaknesses. Again, I feel the Autobot's choice to not have similar protective coverings for their "optics" to just be a further reflection of the drastically differing mentalities of both groups.

As to referring to their "eyes" as "optics" question, I've always heard them being called "optical lenses" or "optics". Mostly, I've always chalked it up to trying to come up with a more robotic sounding term for the human equivalent part. That and I think it sounds cooler to say they have "optical lenses" than just eyes. :p 

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    That's the thing, though. I'm suggesting that only the Cons possess this weakness, due to their forging process being different. In short, I postulate that although they belong to the same species, different processes may have gone into the Autobots' and Decepticons' respective creations.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I love how each eye got a unique design too, I also love in Operation Breakdown where we see Breakdown's messed up face and we can see that the yellow glowy eyes are just glass and the two layers of his face (the red one and the white one) bent/ripped apart. Really freaking nice detail there.

[​IMG]

14. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

Actually In Operation Breakdown - when the Autobots find Breakdown's eye they call it an eye.

Bulkhead says that scraplets eat everything even their optics. I'm thinking the optics are the glowing part of the eye - the lights.

When building glowing eyes for stage you use optics - so that is why I'm making this guess :) .

15. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    I think that was only because "It's Breakdown's optic" would have sounded really stupid in the grave tone Ratchet said it. Basically the writers are going for what conveys the mood best and in that case I think eye has a bit more impact because it's easier for us to relate to what happened they're stumbling on.

16. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

17. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Interesting but do Megatron and Starscream have lenses? Their eyes look rather normal

18. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Who knows? We've never gotten to see either of them with damaged eyes, not even after Megatron beat the hell outta Starscream.

19. Epsilon

An interesting theory, I'm certainly intrigued; actually I feel as though there is something mentioned either in WFC or Transformers: Exodus about how there are structural/design/ biological differences depending on an individual's caste/ designation? (ie: an archivist is going be forged/ designed if you will, differently than a warrior) While TFP is a different universe, perhaps different optic designs are not only a reflection of an individual's personality but also are the result of such design differences based on caste/ designation? However, I'm not sure that would quite apply to an individual being either a Decepticon or Autobot, as I think that seems to be more of a political choice that would need to be made after an individual's forging....:2c: 

20. Epsilon

Don't mean to butt in :p  but I think in terms of Megatron and 'Screamer's eyes they have more of a protected/ shielded design than most of the Autobot's who all seem to have a more open design. That is to say, we can actually see moving bits and gears in some of the Autobot's designs--specifically Optimus'--where we dont see anything move in Megatron or 'Screamer's eyes except their iris...? (i'm not sure if the general consesus is leaning toward calling it their eye and then the moving parts within the optic lenses? but the part I'm talking about would be the equivalent of a human iris.)