More than Meets the Eyes #14 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nope, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    We know what Bombshell did to Prowl on Cybertron, is it possible he also did the same to Drift before they left?

2. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not likely as prowl wasn't even bombshelled until issue 4 of rid well after the Lost Light had left cybertron however I wonder if maybe Bombshell knows that overlord is on the lost light due to being in prowls head

3. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Ooooh, bugger. That wouldn't be good at all. Can't remember from the Drift mini though, doesn't the Great Sword have to be bequeathed?

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    You know that's actually a good point about the Great Sword. It's supposed to be pretty damn powerful, so yeah... now's probably a good time to use it, Drift.

5. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    Who the hell knows? I don't remember it being bequeathed to Drift directly. He just picks it up after Wing is impaled and dead. I don't remember if one has to be trained or what it works with.

I don't know, the Tailgate thing only comes because of how unassuming he is and how out there it would be to have the last person you would expect save everyone.

Then again it could be Drift and the amount of power needed is the entirety of Drift's spark. So... there is that.

in the end: SOMEBODY GONNA DIE!!!

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe Rung will use it?

Remember Rung has an unusually bright spark so he could be a POPer.

And if we go by character teasers Rung wants to be remembered and what better way to go down in history than as the guy took down motherfucking Overlord?!

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I don't think the spirituality is coming from his brush with death in Chaos... I think Drift's faced death on many occasions before, and the spirituality is actually more derived from his induction into an esoteric cult of idealists, and is meant to reflect the obsequious manner of someone who has "found spirituality" and peddles it constantly, as much to keep himself convinced as to convince anyone else.

After all, the Circle of Light is basically a bunch of antiquated monks/Jedis, who forswear guns in favour of mystic soul-swords, practice martial arts, and preach non-interference and spiritual detachment, and Drift joined them as a way of overcoming the anger and violence of his Decepticon life. Roberts just decided to emphasize that conflicted and spiritual part of his character (which is much more fruitful) over the purely superficial "space-ninja" Storm Shadow thing.

It might not be so bad... because for one, it would require some actual character development, and a meaningful interaction between him and Prowl (didn't get that with Arcee), showing his inner conflicts (still not really seeing that in Arcee), and would still feel aligned with his character, who is a martial-arts guy, but with long past experience of dark dealings.

Part of the reason for disliking Arcee in RID is not just her ninja inflation, but rather the complete absence of dealing with her as a character. So she's a psycho who spent her new life seeking vengeance. Then she seems to have gotten it. Where to go from here? Oh, become an unbeatable hit man for Prowl, naturally. Throw some smarmy banter in there, draw a few sadistic lipstick smiles in there to overstate "oh she's a psycho" and you're ready to go. The only thing missing is a shot of her licking energon off her blade. :p 

I agree with most of what you're saying, but didn't Red Alert's killer cut off his head and then dump his body in the reservoir? And wasn't it dumb luck that he was found before his spark and brain were separated long enough to result in death? That's still pretty cold.

It doesn't make me "hate" Drift, since bad people can still make great characters... but it doesn't quite gel with his current trajectory for me. I can see him flipping out and responding too violently to a crisis situation... but the whole conspiracy thing doesn't seem to sit well. We'll see I guess.

I totally agree, and Roberts has been doing a good job of selling this just through actions. However, the discord between immediate action, and a very conscious betrayal of his idealistic spirituality that would need to be happening for him to take part in this whole prolonged charade... if that's the case, I think that needs some attention. It shouldn't be brushed off.

Though I'll point out that I believe every member of the Circle of Light has a "soul weapon" like that, so it's not necessarily a unique super-weapon. However "magic sword" is definitely one of those wild cards that can take a story in just about any direction, isn't it? :) 

zmog

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Regarding the Great Sword + POP discussion, let me just chime in that I really enjoy that MMC's Hexatron is coming with two of them. :D 

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    What else does POP stand for, than Princess of Power?

10. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Point one precenter

11. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Hey fellas I was watching/listening to recenter Radio Free Cybertron podcast from youtube about their review of this issue..

(hope this isn't a spoiler after this many pages.....)

at the prolouge - I thought that was the ununtrium but was Overlord's acutal spark?

12. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    It was a green M&M.

13. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    Wait, so Overlord is really TFA Blackarachnia?! Makes as much sense as Skywarp being that chick with GT Megatron.

Great issue, by the way.

14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Ah yes, thanks for reminding.

15. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Piece of pie.

16. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    Hot Shot: JaAM! YuM YUm JaaM! mE HunGrY! JAAAaaaaAaAaaAM!

17. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    let me go re-check, but I could have Sworn Ratchet said very specifically that Drift picked up his spirituality after he recuperated from Chaos....

EDIT: Yeah here it is.
    My point being though, that I don't find anything about Drifts actions in #14 to require any leap of faith or suspension of disbelief.

Attached Files:

18. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something that just popped into my head, and it's probably not a big deal, but:
    Does the time-dilation field inside Overlord's cell even work anymore?

Red Alert dug a hole into the room, so I'm wondering if that would have affected its working, seeing as it's no longer sealed shut from the outside world.

19. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I don't know, I scanned the pages looking for the hole he dug, but it looks like they didn't draw it.

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    There was a panel where Red Alert looks through a hole and notices Overlord in their cellar.